iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Idea for a muffler mod for a 372XP??

Started by coxy74, June 13, 2014, 08:27:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy74

Hi there all,

I have a 372XP that I want to do a muffler mod on, but want to run the idea past everyone on here to get their views first.
I have old 066 Stihl muffler from one of my old work saws, and was wondering if I could cut the side off that ( with deflector, screen etc ) and then cut the side of the Husqvarna muffler out, and then weld the Stihl muffler bit into place?
Now my questions are, A : would this work? and B : with the new outlet hole size, plus the original outlet hole size, would the combined size of both of them, would that be to much of a opening for an outlet?? ( hope it all makes sense )

Thanks
Paul 

celliott

Man, that sounds like ALOT of work...
I'm sure it could work if you do enough welding and fabrication. How good will it look? Don't know. How well will it work? Don't know.

This is one I did on my 372xp (top picture). Two 3\8" holes and a husqvarna 266xp exhaust deflector and two self tapping screws.Think it took me 30 minutes and cost something like 9 bucks total?
I also did one on my 385xp (bottom picture) which is two 3\8 holes squared out with a file, through the muffler bracket out the front and a screen sandwiched in between.
All I'm trying to say is, maybe keep it simple and easy? Unless using the 066 dp cover parts is a challenge or a special want, then go for it  ;D

Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Maine logger88

How did that setup work on your 385 I have a 2186 I wanna open up a little
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

Andyshine77

Quote from: Maine logger88 on June 13, 2014, 10:04:36 PM

I've done that mod and it isn't the best for a work saw. The exhaust gasses are reflected back to you, and sometimes you hand will get a little hot. The mod works great on more race orientated saws.
Andre.

ladylake

As the 372 has a rather open muff to start with does it gain much with a muff modd, same with a Dolmar 7900.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Andyshine77

The 372 gains quite a bit with a simple mm. The 7900 gains nothing with a mm.
Andre.

Mac102004

I did my 357 mm similar to the above, cut a slot in the muffler on the bar side and opened it up into a deflector with a flat screwdriver.
562XPG 24" B/C
357XP 18" B/C

mmartone

I also did this mm and adjusted the top end on the carb, zoom zoom. Its a bit louder though!
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

celliott

Quote from: Andyshine77 on June 14, 2014, 01:02:35 AM
Quote from: Maine logger88 on June 13, 2014, 10:04:36 PM

I've done that mod and it isn't the best for a work saw. The exhaust gasses are reflected back to you, and sometimes you hand will get a little hot. The mod works great on more race orientated saws.

Yup, andy said it.
I'm happy with the performance, but it does get your hand a bit hot, and if cutting dead wood it can set it smoking pretty easily. The muffler on that saw was pretty beat up, so I figured I'd try it. I will probably get a different muffler and do the dual port with the deflector on the side like I did on my 372xp.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Thank You Sponsors!