iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

timber cruising

Started by pol2299, June 10, 2014, 11:26:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pol2299

hi, I am trying to find out info on current timber cruising projects in the NW that might need cruisers. I have been out of the field for some time. Can anyone give me some clues on who is doing what and any crews who need experienced cruisers in Wa. and Oregon/Cal. and AK.  Thanks much.

pol2299

anyone got anything????????????

yukon cornelius

welcome to the forum! sorry I cant help you but I hope someone can help soon.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

ashes

This probably won't be much help, but I'll give some insight to the area that I work. I am in Humboldt County CA, and the company I work for contracts almost all the cruising out. In order to bid on cruising though in CA you have to be a registered Pro Forester (RPF). Last summer I was still in school and worked cruising timber down in Mendocino County under a RPF. It seems like the majority of this work is done by hired college kids on summer break. I do know that there was an outfit up in Oregon that would work up there and work their way down south to here by fall/winter. I am not sure who they were though. They just were going to take over where we left off more or less when school started back up.

So in answer to your question:

If you are looking to cruise timber in the Northern CA area I would start contacting private consultants that are RPFs and see if they are bidding on cruising jobs, and if they need help.

pol2299

If anyone hears of projects for experienced ,15 years, cruisers for jobs in Alaska give them a link to this ,thanks.

beenthere

Used to be the USFS cut timber in AK, but that stopped several years ago. Only the tribal lands are getting any cutting done, and last I heard you had to have part tribal blood to land a job.
The tribes are cutting like gangbusters, and when they get their lands cleared, they trade land with the National Forest land. Seems to work well for them, as of 15 years back.

Contact the USFS and ask for a list of job openings.
http://www.fs.fed.us/working-with-us/jobs

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Clark

I doubt you will get any replies in the open forum for such a request. My experience in the PNW (and everywhere else) is that you have to know the person who gets the contract, have a good connection with someone who knows that person or they need more bodies than they ever thought they would need and are willing to take on an unknown quantity. I think you would have better luck contacting consulting firms or large landowners.

Clark
SAF Certified Forester

BradMarks

Try Mason, Bruce & Girard. They are in Oregon and known to hire. Anyone you might work for is going to require your own equipment, including lasers.  Good luck.

BradMarks

Jackson & Prochnau (sp?) is another.

pol2299

I know them both..I wouldnt work for MBG and I think JP hires college kids now... Atterbury too...
I'll keep trying but it doesnt look good after years away..

thecfarm

pol2299,I just want to welcome you to the forum.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!