iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Firewood season

Started by r.man, June 10, 2014, 10:12:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WVhunter

I have about 4 cord cut and stacked, still a lot more to do. Getting hot here fast.

thecfarm

WVhunter,welcome to the forum. Starting to get warm here too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bigbuckhughes

What is a gasser?  I have an outdoor burner and went through about 10 cord last winter.  Have about 20 cord stacked and split and ready to go for the coming season.  Can't be screwing with my bow hunting this fall and I hate working in the heat, so turned on the jets as soon as I could get into the woods this last spring.

bigbuckhughes

Me again.  What is a processor??

beenthere

bbhughes
Gasser refers to a wood burner that is set up to convert wood to gas that is ignited usually in a second chamber for more heat energy from the wood (rather than unburned gases going out the stack).
A processor (for firewood) usually refers to a machine that bucks logs, and splits the short lengths into firewood that is elevated to a pile or maybe right into a truck or trailer.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

r.man

I suppose the full term would be " Gasification Wood Burner " and this type of wood burner has the added feature of also igniting and taking the heat from the burnable gases that are in the smoke that is given off when wood burns. This added heat that is gained should drop the volume of wood needed to heat the same space by 25 to 50 percent depending on who you ask. The downside is that unlike your regular OWB which will burn wood that is considered green the gasser does not perform well with wet wood and is generally finicky compared to a "normal" OWB.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

North River Energy

Almost 'done'. 

The can is safe.

For the moment, at least...

thecfarm

Looks like a car motor? I see you tested it out. All went well,I hope?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

r.man

I have to get back to cutting wood, work got busy and some honey-do stuff got done but the wood cutting stalled completely. I really need a lift on my splitter but I haven't had the time to build one so I may have to go old school with a ramp or a tractor or some other temporary method for this year. My target date was July 1st and I could still make it if I can get some time in this week end and maybe take a day next week. Too many things, too little energy although I was cutting my brothers grass last night at 9:30.

North River Energy

^
^That's a Saab V4 driving a backhoe pump.  Probably more motor than necessary, but a crime of convenience, if you will.
Have a few details to work out with the pump drive gear ratios and control systems, but otherwise seems to do what it's supposed to.

r.man

The big engines and pumps are nice for power and speed but not for gas usage if you are running them a lot. I have known two people to switch to modern small engine splitters and comment on how little fuel they use.

North River Energy

I'll have a better idea on fuel use v. production once I get the hour meter hooked up.
At the moment it's running with a set throttle position (probably 1200rpm) on account of no governor.
Also, the gearing needs to be changed to better balance the available horsepower and actual pump/valve flow capacity.
And the wedge will become adjustable 4-way.
Etc...

http://youtu.be/-ydM4TpAP8o

It's a little odd going from the auto-cycle valve on the processor to a double-detent.
http://youtu.be/xxZPCDCZmK4

glassman_48

bigbuckhughes,
welcome to the forum, I live in kalkaska, if your ever up this way I can show you my firewood processor. 

r.man

North, what are the tongs you are using in the second video.

North River Energy

Huskqvarna modified with a trigger. Better than a pocket on a shirt.  Almost as good as an opposable thumb.

r.man

Thanks for the picture, what purpose does the trigger serve compared to a non-modified set? I think whining time is over, I am going to get back to cutting wood this morning.

North River Energy

^
A gain in dexterity, in that the tongs can be held open with the one hand on approach to the block.  With practice, smaller blocks can be thrown, and if you have an easy means of holding the tongs open, either end can be used as a talon to flip or rearrange material with less effort.

Akin to a track-hoe with a hydraulic thumb v. one without.  Both are useful, but one is more useful than the the other.

Wouldn't want to do firewood without a set.

r.man

Thank you, very helpful and confirmed my guess.

North River Energy

Youbetcha.  Got saw chips stuck to your socks yet?

r.man

Yes, but not many. I am trying to cut for an hour in the morning before it gets hot but I am not going to make my date of July 1st for having it all done. Shouldn't miss by much so that is alright. Leaving in about five minutes. (I slept in)

r.man

Shouldn't have slept in, my wood pile goes to full sun on one end by 8:20. Had to move to the shady end to finish my shift or die from sun and sweat.

Thank You Sponsors!