iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looked at a Belsaw today and-----------

Started by ozarkgem, June 10, 2014, 08:43:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ozarkgem

It was a bust. All wood frame and tracks. Missing some parts. Blade had been in the ground so it was no good. I was a little disappointed. I didn't ask what he wanted. Just thanked him and left. I have known him for sometime and consider him a friend it just wasn't what I thought it should have been. Maybe I don't need 2 sawmills. but circle mills sure are cool.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

drobertson

I hear you on that one, they are neat, love the cut marks for sure.  Keep looking, one will turn up sooner or later.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

bandmiller2

Ozark, did you take a close look at the saw they are a nickel steel alloy and can usally be brought back into service. The Belsaw is a simple basic mill and their are few parts a clever lad could not fabricate. Talk to your friend if he was the sawyer he knows the work involved he may just let you have it or for a token amount. Any other gear go with it. Worth a try, an abandon mill  always looks worse than it really is. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

shinnlinger

How bad u want one?  There are two currently idle in my town.  Both have been offered to me at different times.   
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

lyle niemi

Quote from: bandmiller2 on June 11, 2014, 06:44:23 AM
Ozark, did you take a close look at the saw they are a nickel steel alloy and can usally be brought back into service. The Belsaw is a simple basic mill and their are few parts a clever lad could not fabricate. Talk to your friend if he was the sawyer he knows the work involved he may just let you have it or for a token amount. Any other gear go with it. Worth a try, an abandon mill  always looks worse than it really is. Frank C.
I agree with Frank, you should see some of the stuff I brought back t life....

ozarkgem

Quote from: bandmiller2 on June 11, 2014, 06:44:23 AM
The blades were pretty bad. He showed me some internet ads where they were asking 3-4 thousand for a Belsaw. I don't think we were even close. There will be one show up. I missed one my neighbor sold. He got 800.00 for it. It really was just to big of a project for me to take on now. I was looking for one to hook the tractor on and go to sawing.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

ozarkgem

Quote from: shinnlinger on June 11, 2014, 06:57:21 AM
How bad u want one?  There are two currently idle in my town.  Both have been offered to me at different times.
I appreciate the offer but the cost of getting it would be too much. Since they were made in KC there are lots of them around here. I will find one. Or I could get an old Frick or Corley for the same money and have a heavy duty sawmill.

bandmiller2

Ozark, you hit upon a good point , Belsaw has name recognition but usally for the same or less you can buy a heavy mill your grandchildren will be using. There are more old circular mill around than you think, the years and brush have just hidden them, ask around. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

ozarkgem

Quote from: bandmiller2 on June 12, 2014, 07:13:21 AM
Ozark, you hit upon a good point , Belsaw has name recognition but usally for the same or less you can buy a heavy mill your grandchildren will be using. There are more old circular mill around than you think, the years and brush have just hidden them, ask around. Frank C.
I was in partnership on a circle saw but we sold it. There are quite a few around as you say just keep my eye out. After thinking about it the older heavier saws would be a better deal. You can get some kick butt circle mills for 10 grand. I mean some big time production. Course you would have to hire someone and have lots of logs and a place for the sawdust and so on.

Thank You Sponsors!