iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Custom saw box; let's see them!

Started by DeerMeadowFarm, June 10, 2014, 06:03:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DeerMeadowFarm

We have a Polaris Ranger UTV and I tend to commandeer it most of the time. The back is loaded with 2 saws, bag with chaps, helmet, jacket (for winter cutting), gas, oil, various tools, sledge hammer, axe, maul, a couple of Peavey's, some chain, felling wedges,....basic stuff. My wife could use the Ranger a lot around her gardens, but it's a pain to load and unload everything. I'd like to make some sort of hard case to carry both saws and the saw related tools (scwrench, files, spare chains and bars). Maybe make a carrier for the fuel and bar oil stuff. Etc. If I can make it easier to load and unload by making stuff organized and modular I think we'd be better off for it.
So what have you guys come up with for a saw box?

Weekend_Sawyer

For the saw i just use the case that came with it. But i use an old milk crate for the rest. It holds the gallon Of fuel Mix, Quart of Oil And A Coffee Can For The Scrench, Files, Wedges And Such.

Also, I Dont Know why my Stoopid android Is putting Most But Not All Words In Caps But it Is Doing it Not Me. ::)
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

clww

I carry the scabbard on each saw, a separate can for both the gas and oil. For all the tools, chains, wedges, etc. I use an military ammo can.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

JohnG28

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on June 10, 2014, 06:53:48 PM

Also, I Dont Know why my Stoopid android Is putting Most But Not All Words In Caps But it Is Doing it Not Me. ::)

Mine does the same, I've yet to figure out any rhyme or reason to it either.  ???
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

thecfarm

How about a trailer? Than if you had a building you could back the trailer in there and lock it up. No need to load and unload every time. I have my tractor all set up to cut wood. I have built things on it to make it easy for me.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DeerMeadowFarm

I can barely fit my tractors (Fergy, my compact tractor and 2 old IH Cub Cadets I use for mowing the lawn and along the 1/3 mile driveway) and Ranger in there now with all the other projects in process I have going on... :(

Plus I tow the splitter with the Ranger.

I'd like to see what you've done with your tractor though; it might give me some ideas! :)

thecfarm

It sure is not all that pretty.  ::)  But it works.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DeerMeadowFarm

Functional trumps "pretty" anyday....

stanwelch

I made this box to carry everything I need at the sawmill and into the woods while felling trees
It contains 2 chainsaw and all sharpening supplies, bar oil and mixed gas.  A leaf blower, Logrite peavey and Hook-A-Roon, saw chaps and helmet, hammer and wedges, water and lunch

The box is 60" x 26" x 26" on 4 swivel locking caster 4"

I just pick it up with forks on the tractor and drop it where needed.  When done for the day, I rool it into the wood shop for easy access in a safe place.

Woodworker, Woodmizer LT15, Stihl 026, MS261CM and 460 chainsaws, John Deere 5410 Tractor 540 Loader,Forks & Grapple, Econoline 6 ton tilt bed trailer

DeerMeadowFarm

thecfarm

This is what I did for the chainsaw. billm gave me the idea. I made mine out of plywood,because that is all I have. I just put a ΒΌ bolt on top and a piece of flat stock metal that goes down inside the frame for the loader. Keeps it from moving from side to side.  The gas and oil holder is the same way.

With no saw

The gas and oil holder. I just use empty bar and chain jugs for my gas.

And the chainsaw wrench. I have one on each side.This is the floorboard of the tractor. The wrench is in one of the holes.

The chainsaw is where I can see it and I know where it is.
I do have a small box behind the seat for wedges,hammer,other junk. I made a separate place for my water jug too. I use to keep it in the box behind the seat. With the oil and dirt and the grime,the outside of the water jug looked like it could walk away. The inside was clean,but I did not bring it inside the house to fill up with ice, it was bad,mighty bad.

DeerMeadowFarm

I've seen some pictures that were similar for the saw, but I have not seen any like your gas and oil carrier. My tractor, having a cab, limits my ability to mount things to the loader arms.  :(

luvmexfood

cfarm your smart in using an old oil can for gas. Bought a new 2 gallon can for the lawn mower and had to read instructions on how to get gas out of it. Takes three hands almost. Came a hair of throwing it over the hill.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

Thank You Sponsors!