iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Starting up logging

Started by Buckweat, June 10, 2014, 12:16:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Buckweat

Ok im thanking at starting up in the under water logging what all do i need as far as the prements and all go where do i get them any help is greatly appreciated

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.
Filling out some general info in you bio (profile) will go a long way to helping you out with your questions.

What intrigues you about underwater logging?

Is it the adventure?
Thinking there are sunken logs of value?
Mill to saw up the recovered logs?
Selling lumber appears to be profitable?

But wherever you are, going to the state department of natural resources or similar department would be a place to start. Good luck to you.

What is behind the name of Buckweat ?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Buckweat

Buckweat was a name my dad called me and there just no one that dose it here and i thank there could b some money to b mad and i thank it would be cool to do

beenthere

Good handle.
What about the other questions..??

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Buckweat

Well i thank there might b some logs that work money bc no one has ever done under water logging here and people make living doing it so it has to pay out some what good right. And i all ways up for somthing new lol

beenthere

Quoteno one has ever done under water logging here

You apparently don't want to say where "here" is at, so continue "thanking" and be sure to take pics. We like pictures.
south central Wisconsin

chevytaHOE5674

Check into the legality of "underwater logging" in your state and go from there. Some states all you need is a permit, other states you would get locked up for harvesting under water logs.

CCC4

KyLogger

I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

NWP

1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

thenorthman

Quote from: Buckweat on June 10, 2014, 12:16:13 AM
Ok im thanking at starting up in the under water logging what all do i need as far as the prements and all go where do i get them any help is greatly appreciated

First off make sure you have a market, just because it works in places like Louisiana, where underwater logs are common, doesn't really mean anyone wants yer waterlogged mess.

Second a shrink or counselor of some sort

Third a boat... a big boat...

Forth some way to get the logs out of the water and on to a (hopefully) waiting truck.

Fifth scuba lessons and equipment

Sixth a different shrink to get you out of the asylum...

And last but not least your local DNR or county assessor should be able to steer you in the right direction fo r premits and etc.

Good luck
well that didn't work

Buckweat

Im in n.c but ive never heard of it here so im hoping there i a lot of logs out there thats been there a number of years and how do i find where or not theres a markit for them im lost here i dont kno nothing about this i just kno where the water is and that there alot of logs that r n the water so im thanking there should b some that ar worth somthing thats been there for many years

Gary_C

Quote from: Buckweat on June 10, 2014, 11:54:57 PM
i dont kno nothing about this i just kno where the water is

I was going to ask if you had a business plan, but I guess that thought is wasted.   ::)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Woodboogah

I think you should do some research, devise a plan and go from there.  Maybe do some networking in your area with people who are in the know for log markets.  Check with state officials too.  I know if you were caught in my state (NH) harvesting underwater (I don't think you can at all, ever) it would not go over well.  Do some thinking, researching, chatting with folks, sit down and write a plan after all that, then re-write it and do the numbers game.  Good luck to you
Keenan Logging & Tree Care, LLC

Buckweat

Ok did some talking in s.c they have to pay a boat to come and surch the one mile of river that u can get permint at a time dose anyone kno what this boat is looking for bc im not pay a man to come look to tell me ok u got git this log or that log i want to kno what he looks for or dose

beenthere

Probably (possibly) the boat is equipped with a sonar system (think a high quality fish finder) to detect sunken logs. Likely something that gives a profile of the bottom of the river or the lake where logs may lie in wait.

Otherwise, diving and feeling one's way along the bottom might be the alternative.

What are your plans for finding sunken logs?
south central Wisconsin

Southside

Buckwheat - how much diving have you done?
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Gary_C

Quote from: Southside logger on June 11, 2014, 11:28:32 PM
Buckwheat - how much diving have you done?

It's "Buckweat" and Ok im is just messin with us. Bet school just got out and he's looking for a place to play.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

craigc

Apprenticeships need to be brought back. Yet this is a good example of why not to support Common Core. 
Rottne SMV, Timbco with Logmax 9000, JD 540B Grapple.

goose63

Gary you might be right or he skipped school
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

clww

Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

CCC4

CAUTION...NO EATING OR DRINKING ALLOWED!  :)

mikeb1079

that's why you must play di drum...to blow the big guys mind!
homebuilt 16hp mill
99 wm superhydraulic w/42hp kubota

BargeMonkey

He could be the next TV swamp logger.  8)   

Buckweat

No im not a school boy just tired of the job i got and i love the river ive never went diving but i never had a chance to    Im just a back woods man and looking to try start a diff way to make $$ and time for my family

Buckweat

Beenthere they say in sc u got to have the boat come b4 u can go in the water i just wanted to do the diving my self is there a way around having to have the other boat

beenthere

Probably no law that says you cannot go diving in the SC waters.
I've no idea what "they" mean about having a boat running before you.
Maybe find out if that is a SC law, or what it is all about.

SC must have a Dept. of Natural Resources that you could contact for information and any restrictions.

SC may be more concerned with what you might find other than logs, such as wrecks and other archaeological findings. 
south central Wisconsin

Buckweat

Ok man thanks im call and see what its for

Thank You Sponsors!