iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Compliance

Started by timberking, June 09, 2014, 12:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

timberking

Ever since it started raining, I haven't heard as much about FSC or SFI.  Our attention is still on following guidelines, but input from industry has slowed.  Different mills down here subscribe to different entities.  Do you see the size of the woodpile affect policy in other areas?

Dodgy Loner

What? Not sure I follow.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

beenthere

QuoteDo you see the size of the woodpile affect policy in other areas?

I read the OP comment to be the SFI, etc. plays into the buying of logs... if plenty of logs then use the SFI as a reason not to take more. If short supply, drop the SFI requirement.

So I can see the size of the woodpile affecting policy.   That is my interp for the OP. But it may not even be close... ;)

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

timberking

When we were on quota, the mill might buy unlimited FSC wood from us but not uncertified.  That puts the onus on us to beat the drum for them and create a mountain of paper work for us.  Now the wood pile is low, they just want tons across the scales.

Dodgy Loner

So you're a logger, I take it? That might have been helpful to start out with. What mills are you talking about? Grade hardwood mills? High-production pine sawmills? Pulp mills? Makes a difference.

FSC is pretty much dead in water in my neck of the woods. SFI is king here. The mill that I work at has the same environmental standards regardless of the weather or the woodpile. Losing SFI certification is NOT an option. However, the scales tend to allow more defect to slide through than they would otherwise. It is not a policy, that's just the way things go. I suspect that happens everywhere. Running out of wood costs a lot of money, especially at a pulp mill.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

WDH

I worked for the same company that Dodgy does.  The standards were not relaxed based on weather or the log inventory. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

timberking

We are not relaxing the standards but the emphasis has waned.

Thank You Sponsors!