iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberjack 225c restoration

Started by Aussielogger65, June 09, 2014, 08:25:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aussielogger65

Hi all new to the forum, and are after some help identifying some components of my latest purchase/project a 1966 timberjack 225c. 353 jimmy power, borg warner tranny and hercules winch, but having trouble with the diffs/transfer case. the transfer case has a plate that reads model: TED2B serial: 6100566 TE p/n 200276-T. No plate on diff just found these numbers cast/ stamped A32L-720-02-NS, 5200X53, 5L16. Timberjack is cast into the covers of the plane tries but no other numbers found any help much appreciated. Also is there an easy way to upload photos to a post?? Cheers Jeff

Neilo

The transfer case should be a modified New Process 201. They differ from a standard NP201 in that they are locked in 4wd and the 2/4wd selector is deleted, and the rear output gears are solid from a NP200 rather than the spring loaded 'knock' gears of a NP201. Also mounted vertically so the oil plugs may be different. A NP200 rebuild kit covers most things and they are common in the US.

The axles are a Rockwell, though there are a few models used. Probably PR76, but could be others. Photos may help.

Neilo

Aussielogger65

Thanks Neilo for the info i will try and upload photos, i can upload them to my gallery but am having trouble putting them in a post. cheers jeff.

sandersen

Very nice little TJ...I'm doing the same thing with a 66 230C...they have great lines and it will look good when you fix it up.  Plus it will be functional...maybe not on a heavy duty commercial level but at least for casual use...and fun too.  Good luck with it.
"Make every step count."

Aussielogger65

Thanks Sandersen I have read your posts regarding that 230c and that's some nice work you're doing to it mine has similar hrs to yours 3020, and has much the same issues bad welding by previous owners, play, Hyd leaks etc but it's all fun they are a great little machine to work on. Cheers jeff

Neilo

That is a New Process transfer case. The id tag is on the Braden pto.

My books show the axle should be a PR76 in a 225 and a PR75 in a 230. However the diff and the planetaries share the same parts. The difference is the housing and the half shafts.

I like seeing the 450 next to the 225 to see how much bigger they are.

timberjack26

sandersen

Quote from: Aussielogger65 on June 10, 2014, 07:40:30 PM
Thanks Sandersen I have read your posts regarding that 230c and that's some nice work you're doing to it mine has similar hrs to yours 3020, and has much the same issues bad welding by previous owners, play, Hyd leaks etc but it's all fun they are a great little machine to work on. Cheers jeff

And your "mate" Neilo is a crackerjack TJ guy who will be a huge help...as you've already seen.
"Make every step count."

Aussielogger65

Once again thanks for the info Neilo, you get tj parts from prestons in toowomba qld qld I've been talking to them and with out a serial number for the diffs I'm finding impossible to find simple parts such as hub seals, wheel bearings. Also would you know of any old tj's that have been wrecked there's been a lot of bird crap welding done to the cradle and especially the front axle housing, with cracks appearing around the housing that the final drive bolts to. I have a pair of eaton wr10 no spins but don't think they will fit...

Neilo

Yes, I get parts from Prestons. My 230d came with a TJ library for older machines so I can generally give part nos. Having said that, their parts lists were newer than my manuals so Prestons had different nos for some stuff.

What I can say is the 225C whole axle assembly is TJ part No. 203144 rear and 203143 front. They are different in some C series have an open front diff, so the rear is the no spin.

Hub seal No. 400528, bearings inner 402584 + 402583, bearing outer 402582 + 402581.

The WR10 will be a bit large. Latter 200 series had WR3 and the 240 had WR5.

I know of a 225AR (about 1965 I think) that should be wrecked. I think if some $ were put in front of the owner, it could be bought. It is one of those repair jobs that just never happens and it sits year after year. It might have a cracked walking beam though. It is near me.

Aussielogger65

Thanks Neilo for those part numbers, my walking beam has been cracked, welded, cracked and might be just easier to make a new one+ cut mounts off main frame & fab new ones up as there's so much play there the diff centre hits the mounts.. There was a 230ar near where I bought this one in orbost vic but that owner didn't want to give it up though it's sat for about 15years I'm in southern nsw near Bega where about are you? Cheers jeff

Neilo

Hi Jeff, I am in the Latrobe Valley. I figured you were from the south coast given the 450 appears on some internet sites. Nice looking skidder. The 225 seems to be a bit more of a project but should be simple enough to get right.

Aussielogger65

Hello 

again just thought id give everyone an update on the TJ225c restoration project...im starting at the front and working my way through...... engine removed, front axle pulled, cradle removed all for steam cleaning/ rebuilding the axle housing has a lot of cracks and ugly welds which ill try an post some pics. engine runs well but looses oil pressure once warm 40-50psi cold>10>20 when hot@ rated rpm so for a bit of time and a few $$$ ill give it a freshen up when out along with the tranny/reverser. cheers jeff

sandersen

Wow!! Very exciting...you're really gettin after it! That's fantastic.  I'm goin at much slower unfortunately, slow but sure.  Really good work.
"Make every step count."

Neilo

Great progress there Jeff.

I don't know what is going on with the walking beam pins. I guess you removed the aligning bushes out of the walking beam? unless they had been left out. For info they are # 102820. And the pins seem wrong too. They are #227751 with locknut #104080.

Keep the updates coming.

Aussielogger65

Thanks Neilo, yes there was no bushing in the cradle at all and the frame had very worn bronze bushes/weld in pin boss very homemade looking I'll try and get a couple of better photos later on cheers jeff.

timberjack26

that trans is old....i used have one like that......that pin is to finny......i love striping them down like that....

timberjack26

walking beam is bushing...102820......pins are 227751....and then there is some shims...

Neilo

Quote from: timberjack26 on June 17, 2014, 07:39:20 AM
walking beam is bushing...102820......pins are 227751....and then there is some shims...

I would have hoped that those shims could be bought by description and the pin part no., but maybe not. If not, for reference, they are:

3/16" 200327, 1/4" 200328, 5/16" 200329, 3/8" 200330

timberjack26

right...yeah so when you take the walking beam out you need to put bushings in first which are 102820......and the pins are 227751.....and there is 4 shims altogether....2 in the back and 2 in the front...thats stuff is cheap to buy.....lol...i guess here maybe.../

Aussielogger65

G'day fellow timberjack enthusiasts been along time since I last posted pics or any progress of the old tj225c resto job, just been flat out with work taking on 3 jobs that see me away a lot. Haven't done a huge amount mainly cradle work and total re-fab of front diff housing re-race/re seal front no spin new frame mounts etc. a carbide holesaw was used to cut new holes in the frame where a new boss was welded in, new shims etc all machined in house.

tantoy

WOW, nice fab work, Good job thanks for the pictures!
1968 Garrett 20 Skidder
1991 Ford 1920 Tractor/Loader
2000 Takeuchi tb135 Excavator
Stihl 020, 041 Super, 084
Husqvarna 61, 181SE, 357XP

sandersen

Outstanding work!!!  I am facing the same challenges on my 66 230C...only hope I can do as well as you have. Awesome.  Thanks for the photos too.  Very helpful...and inspirational.
"Make every step count."

Mooseknuckle

Excellent job!! 8) man i cant wait for the finished product!
Pioneer P51 is look'n for a Buddy!!

Aussielogger65

Thanks for the nice comments guys, these old machines sure do soak up a lot of time which I've had trouble finding lately but as they say if a jobs worth doing its worth doing right. I can't decide which job I do next rear axle housing? Engine? Or articulation? Parts have been ordered for the front planetries so will post more pics once I start refurbing them cheers jeff.

Thank You Sponsors!