iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing 0n Shares?

Started by reswire, June 08, 2014, 09:53:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reswire

I'm curious if anyone occasionally mills on shares?  If so, what do you usually try to keep?  I would imagine that the quality, species and number of logs would dictate the percentage.  Just not sure if I'm being fair to myself and the customer.  I've sawed some walnut and cherry at 40% ratio, but that was me running my mill without charges, and usually an 8 hour job.  The biggest problem I've encountered so far, is that people who like this offer usually don't have the equipment to stage the logs or the manpower to move the lumber.  My back is shot, so I insist that they hire or enlist the help of a strong man to assist in loading or moving the lumber and logs.  Of course I have to move the lumber back home to the farm,, meaning I need to bring my own help, and of course that is another 8 hours of work.  When is it worth it to you?

I know this scenario becomes complicated quickly, but would love to hear from anyone with advice on the issue.  Does anyone every do small or large jobs like this?
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

Magicman

Shares is fine if you have a need or market for the lumber.  Storage sheds, etc. can be problematic.  One way is to divide the logs rather than the actual sawed lumber.

I personally am not in the lumber business, so I do not saw on shares.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Nothing wrong with sawing on shares. Just keep up with your inventory and be sure you will have the time to saw up what you have traded your time and labor for.
If you plan to saw your logs and sell your lumber......this plan could be over taken by custom sawing and while your custom sawing 1 job right after the other, the logs you traded for could be just laying there wasting away.

The only thing I trade for is Cedar.....and I pick my logs from the whack first.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

drobertson

I scale the logs and divide them out. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

delvis

I have access to logs so I don't need anyone elses so I try to discourage sawing on shares.  I won't do it for less than half and depending on how much work is involved for me, I may go as high as 60%.
If I never saw another board I will at least die happy having spent the last few years working with my dad!

reswire

Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

5quarter

Yeah...Split the logs, not the lumber. I'll do it if they have something I want or need. I select the logs I'll take in payment. I never saw my share while the customer is at the mill. Once I got two beautiful Sycamore Logs for sawing 3 smallish walnuts. I think we both walked away thinking the other got fleeced.  ;) :D :D
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Ianab

It comes down to "Do you want the logs?" As in, if the guy turned up with just a load of logs, would you buy them for $xxx?

If you would buy that stack of logs for $500, and saw his other stack for $500, then you have deal. If you explain it this way, put a dollar value to both parts of the deal, then you can make a deal that's fair to both parties. It might not be 50/50, depending on the value of the logs in question, or some $$ could change hands as well. But everything is above board.

If you wouldn't buy those log no matter what, then there's no deal to be made. Customer could sell the excess logs to someone else, and use the cash to pay you?

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

ozarkgem

If they bring the logs to me I get half. If I have to go get the logs its 75 for me 25 for them.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

sealark37

If you divide the lumber, make sure you are present when the customer takes his share.  They seem to discount the value of your labor when you are absent.  Regards, Clark

Thank You Sponsors!