iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Handling a Dog Attack

Started by lowpolyjoe, June 08, 2014, 11:20:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

red

In a Perfect World the other dog owner would change his ways . . .sometimes cooler heads prevail
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Peter Drouin

Carry a 45 and be done with it. Seen it before on the news , no one does anything until a kid gets all chewed up. Around here no one puts up with that. Sometimes one chance is given, but never two.

Had one time a dog was in the woods behind my house. Ann was out in the yard, I was in the barn. And I could hear the dog barking and chasing something. So I came out to see what was going on and the dog came out of the woods and made a beeline at Ann. I jump in with a shovel. The dog left with a headache. I called the cops . And told him, If you find the owner, Tell them if it happens again the dog won't be back. Never saw the dog again.   
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

red

Potentially Dangerous Dog . . HBO had a program One Nation Under Dog we think they're people
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Jim_Rogers

When you or your wife report it, find out from the police what you can do to legally defend yourself and your dog.
Don't take actions that will put you in trouble with the law.
Find out if pepper spray or other liquids are allowed.
You don't want to be sued by this jerk for hurting his dog. He sounds like the type that might do that.

Let the law handle him and his dog. That's what they are there for. To protect and serve.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

John Mc

I second the idea of finding out what's legal. It's one thing if you happen to have a "walking" stick along with you and jump in at the spur of the moment to defend yourself or your dog. It's another if you have made the conscious decision to carry something like pepper spray with you; your rights vary from state to state.  It's worth making sure you stay on the right side of the law, and don't give the dog owner an opening to go after you.

If the local police have a canine unit, it might be interesting to see if they would do a foot patrol with it in the area from time to time (particularly if theirs is a male dog). You can bet the guy would get some hassle if his dog attacked a police dog as it went by.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

MattJ

I would think the ammonia or pepper spray might work for a less aggressive breed but I wouldn't count on it with a pit mix.  When they get locked on something its near impossible to stop.  My neighbor's granddaughter had a rescue pit mix that was fairly calm but one day out front of our house I saw it charging at 100 mph toward our new kittens on the porch.  The neighbor had a very strong shock collar and was lighting her up the whole way.  I was cutting 2x4's on the miter saw in the garage and intercepted the dog just before the porch.  I managed to louisville slugger her with a 4' section of 2x4 in the hindquarters just before she got to the cats.  I knocked the dang dog into next week and it still tried to come at the cats.  Took one more solid hit to send her home. 

The neighbor was sorry and said they would have done the same thing.  Dog was OK but a bit sore for a few days.  The neighbor and I are great friends but I did let them know I have small kids and that wouldn't fly and the 2x4 could be upgraded to a hollow point.  They ended up investing in a lot of obedience training that made a world of difference.

LaneC

If that dog has pit in it, it will fight to the death probably. It is good that your dog was big enough to defend itself and I have heard those Mastifs can easily hold their own. I hope no small dog or kid gets around the thing. As for the owner, you cannot fix stupid. There is no sense trying to reason with someone who is that ignorant. I would surely notify the police ASAP. I was attacked once with my 2 year old son on a bike. He was in one of those kid seats. I was lucky to have gotten bitten only by the long pants I was wearing. We lived in the country so I handled it like any other person who lives out of the city.(most anyway). I will just say that the dog never had the opportunity to hurt anyone else.
Man makes plans and God smiles

Jason_AliceMae Farms

Owning a dog of any breed is a big responsibility and the other owner does not seem up to that task in my opinion.  I have a Rottweiler and I will do anything for her and she is a wonderful lap dog.  I knew that I would always be looked at a certain way and judged by some people for owning a certain breed.  Because of that I made sure to raise her properly with training and being well socialized.  It is my goal to not feed the stereotype of the breed, I even considered getting her trained as a therapy dog.

I agree 100% with everyone that has suggested that you find out what you can legally do to protect life and property and train yourself accordingly.  I would make sure that the owner is reported since he is not a responsible dog owner and he is raising a dangerous animal.  Since the dog is not fixed and is that aggressive he is obviously not raising a show dog but still plans to breed him, imagine if he does breed him and now there are more than one dog raised the same way on the property.....

Good luck and I hope your Mastiff recovers well, one day once I am back on the farm I will have an English Mastiff around.
Watching over 90 acres of the earth with 50 acres being forest.

Someday I would like to be able to say that I left thes 90 acres healthier than when I started watching over them.

lowpolyjoe

I agree with everything you guys are saying.  Taking matters into your own hands can sometimes be a legal nightmare.  From the looks of it, this guy probably doesn't have much money.... and I don't have any interest in suing him.  But I'm guessing the opposite is not the case.  I don't want to lose my house because I cripple his dog defending myself and he sues me.  This place is right along the perfect loop for a dog walk around my neighborhood, but I'm gonna have to find another routine because the risk is just not worth it. 

An official report was filed today and the guy is getting a summons.  I'm a little bummed for him because as I mentioned, I'm sure he doesn't have the money to pay it.  I would rather see them force him to neuter the dog.  Who knows how much that would help, but it would at least be *something*.

Not surprisingly, after the report was made, my wife got a call from animal control and she was told that this dog is indeed an ongoing issue.  The owner is renting an apartment from a family who owns several buildings in the area.  I am *SHOCKED* that they haven't thrown him out yet.  As the land owners I would think they could be open to legal action if (when) this dog does any real damage.

Thanks for the support and advice everybody.  I have my fingers crossed that nothing else comes of this.

WmFritz

I don't think you could've handled it any better.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

sandhills

I just saw this and agree completely with you filing a report.  Before i was married to her, my wife and her family lived in a very small town (maybe 30) and there was a neighborhood basset hound that all the kids played with and new well, one day for some reason he just snapped and literally scalped my stepson who was about 8 at the time.  My wife was doing dishes at the time and saw the whole thing out the window, absolutely unprovoked, and the kids always played with the dog, I saw pictures of him before many, many stitches, trust me you don't want that dog getting anywhere near you folks again.  If it's illegal to carry a .45, then I'd take an aluminium bat and you can even have your wife tossing a baseball, just going to the game you know  ;).

mart

You have an obligation to file a report. He has a dangerous dog. Others may be harmed and perhaps more severely the next time. And perhaps it will be a child. I don't know the laws of your state but in today's litigious society if someone else is injured and found out you failed to report your incident, they could come after you. The deeper pockets approach. Report it. The guy obviously doesn't care enough about his own dog or others to control it.
I was young and dumb once. I got over being young a long time ago.

LT15 w/19 hp - 24' bed
Branson 3725
Stihl MS362
Husqvarna 450

36 coupe

Get a stock mans cane.Its a heavy hickory cane.I keep a S&W 38 in my pocket.I have a ccw permit and would not live in a place where I could not defend myself.Most dogs are no problem but there are some that will attack other animals and humans.I have done animal control, a dangerous job.Move to Vermont, they forbid carrying a concealed weapon for illegal purposes.A few places are restricted but anyone can carry in the state.

barbender

I don't like stereotyping dog breeds or people, but the fact is that some breeds have been bred selectively for aggressive dispositions. Most Rottwielers and Pitbulls I have been around have been big babies, very gentle and friendly. I have seen some of those same dogs flip like a switch when they saw a strange dog etc. It was a bit unnerving to see how quickly they went into "attack" mode.
Too many irons in the fire

lowpolyjoe

Quote from: barbender on June 10, 2014, 07:16:18 PM
I don't like stereotyping dog breeds or people, but the fact is that some breeds have been bred selectively for aggressive dispositions. Most Rottwielers and Pitbulls I have been around have been big babies, very gentle and friendly. I have seen some of those same dogs flip like a switch when they saw a strange dog etc. It was a bit unnerving to see how quickly they went into "attack" mode.

Yeah, I don't want to hate on Pitbulls, but mankind really has done a number on that breed.  I saw a bumper sticker the other day that said "Stop dog fighting, neuter Michael Vick".    As long as dog fighting continues, people are going to breed horrible nasty dogs.   So sad.

My buddy had a Rottweiler a while back and it was a great dog.  Don't think I ever saw it aggressive towards people or dogs.  But without the proper up-bringing, who knows.  Even with good training, it's still frightening what these dogs can do if their switch does get flipped somehow.

Mart - there is now a report on file.

jargo432

I bought my pepper spay on the advice of a police officer friend.  He told me to make sure and buy stream pepper spray.  That way you can control it and it won't blow back on you.

Call the police.  You tried to be civil and he didn't meet you halfway.
Jack of all trades.

goose63

My Rottwiler is a big female 125 lbs she has the big dog kook and the big dog bark you come in the house when we are home Mandy will try to sit in your lap in the middle of the night you take your chances. i did not want mean just the looks 
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

r.man

I prefer to walk with long walking sticks that I make out of small Tamarack trees. I am 250 lbs and I don't like them to bend if I lean hard on them so they tend to be stout. They give you reach and could be used in a surgical manner like a spear but they also have a decent striking power with a swing. Legal and fashionable, I sometimes do Gandalf's line from the mines or Moria.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4UfAL9f74I&feature=kp
My stick doesn't have a glowing stone at the top. And my beard isn't as long.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

MikeON

Here is a sad story where the Rottweilers apparently DIDN'T have the proper training.  This happened about a mile from me. 

http://old.post-gazette.com/localnews/20030318dogs0318p3.asp
Woodmizer LT40HD Super.  WM Single Blade Edger,  John Deere 4310 tractor, M35A2C Deuce and a Half truck

Thank You Sponsors!