iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Handling a Dog Attack

Started by lowpolyjoe, June 08, 2014, 11:20:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowpolyjoe

Hey Guys,

I haven't been around much lately but I'm curious for some advice from you guys on something.

About a year ago we got a mastiff, Thor.  It was a big surprise to me - my wife picked him up without my knowledge.   He's about 150lbs now.  Good dog despite my initial worries.

Last week while my wife and I were walking him (leashed) a dog (unleashed) came charging out from behind a quick-e-mart and attacked Thor.  It was a mixed breed but looks like it may have some pitbull in it given the head shape and vicious aggression.  It was a very awkward and disturbing experience.  We saw him coming for maybe 10 or 15 seconds.  It was like slow motion waiting for him to arrive.  There was nowhere to go so we just stood our ground.

He jumped on Thor and they started going at it.  I was still holding the leash because I didn't want them running into the busy road we were walking next to.  I know it's not a good idea to reach in with your hands in a dog fight, but I yelled and kicked the dog a few times while they were tangled up.  He wouldn't retreat.  Thankfully Thor is much bigger and stronger and held up well in the fight, but it was a couple of minutes before the other dog owner was able to run over and drag his dog off by the leg.

The owner lives above the small corner store.  We have seen the dog outside in the past with no issue.  It was very odd that he snapped this time.   After the attack, the owner brought out some peroxide to clean off Thor, who was bleeding from the mouth and face.  He seemed concerned and apologetic.   We considered reporting to the police, but I didn't want to have this old guy lose his dog over one incident.   I assumed he would take it to heart and be strict about leashing / chaining his dog after that.

Well, this morning, we walked by the same spot with Thor.  I was holding the leash so my wife walked a little ahead of me to see if the dog was out.  She saw him in the back but couldn't tell if he was chained.  We ended up walking about a block down the street, crossing over to the other side, and then trying to pass the dog, just to be safe.  As we pass, the dog owner flags us down and crosses the road.  We figured he was going to apologize again and ask how Thor was doing.  Nope.  He proceeds to tell us that we can't walk Thor in front of his place because his dog is not neutered (he used different terminology as you can imagine) and he will defend his yard.  He wants us to detour around the shop where he lives which means crossing a busy road twice.

I was calm in the beginning.  I asked him please to make sure his dog is always securely chained or leashed.  But he wasn't having it.  His response was something like "yeah, he's usually on a leash but he can get out so you better not walk by here anymore".   I got pretty aggravated as he continued to argue his point.  Eventually I was so heated I couldn't talk to the guy anymore.  I just reiterated what I had already said and told him the conversation was over and we walked away. 

I really can't believe the attitude of this guy.

So first off - how would you guys handle the original situation - an aggressive dog running at you from 50 yards.  What can you do?   No nearby buildings or shelter.   How about after the dogs engage?  Is there anything you can do?

Second - how about police involvement?   We talked to my wife's brother who's in law enforcement and may end up with a police report.  My biggest worry is this jackass lets his dog out again and it attacks a smaller dog or child.

So frustrating.

TimRB

I understand pepper spray works well on aggressive dogs.  Be sure to save some for the owner.

Tim

Bill Gaiche

Yip, pepper spray the dog and only the owner if he threatens. bg

sawguy21

He is responsible for keeping his dog under control. By all means, go to the police. Next time it could be a person getting hurt.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

VictorH

I would check (if you don't know already) to see if there is an ordinance requiring his dog to be leashed or fenced.  If there is report to the police that there is a dog at that location that is allowed to run free at times, and has attacked your dog in the past.  They should follow up on that and keep an eye on the place.  I would do as others said carry pep spray and walk where you want.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: VictorH on June 08, 2014, 12:20:53 PM
I would check (if you don't know already) to see if there is an ordinance requiring his dog to be leashed or fenced.  If there is report to the police that there is a dog at that location that is allowed to run free at times, and has attacked your dog in the past.  They should follow up on that and keep an eye on the place.  I would do as others said carry pep spray and walk where you want.

smiley_thumbsup
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

beenthere

QuoteWe considered reporting to the police, but I didn't want to have this old guy lose his dog over one incident.
That was the first mistake, IMO.                 Call them now.

Hope the pepper spray works if that is what you are going to rely on in the future. It is not just the dog being sprayed that will have to put up with the spray.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

luvmexfood

If you use pepper spray a couple of words of advice. One be sure the wind is not blowing back towards you.
As quick as you get home change and wash clothes being very careful to touch them as little as possible.

Oh and three beaware it affects everyone differently.
Had my shot of it doing police training. One of my buddies had to spray a guy one time. After he was cuffed the guy told him next time to just get a big hickory stick and beat the you know what out of him.
Give me a new saw chain and I can find you a rock in a heartbeat.

John Mc

I've used pepper spray on a dog that was trying to attack walkers and bike riders going by his rural home (I was one of the bike riders). He would usually only go for pant legs, but occasionally he'd get a bit more.  After the third time he got hit with the pepper spray, he left me alone. 

I would have a chat with the police. If the dog hasn't attacked a human, there's probably less chance they'll put him down for one animal incident, but I think it would help to have something on record with the police.  If it's a pattern, but no one reports it, as far as the police are concerned, there is no problem.

If you are in the public right-of-way (on a sidewalk or following the edge of a public road), then the other owner is way off base telling you not to come by that area. It's his responsibility to control his dog, not your responsibility to avoid the area. 

Of course, you'll have to decide for yourself if "being right" is the goal here.  That doesn't help much if your dog (or you or your wife) end up injured. On the other hand, if no one pushes the issue, then the neighborhood is left with a dangerous dog, and it's only a matter of time before something worse happens.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

thechknhwk

You could "carry" and defend yourself and your pet, but probably not advisable in New Jersey.

tree-farmer

Cheap and effective is squirt gun full of amonia cleaner solution. Had a dog that used to attack me on my bike, one dose and he would run for cover everytime he saw me. ;D
Old doesn't bother me, its the ugly that's a real bummer.

drobertson

Quote from: tree-farmer on June 08, 2014, 03:39:57 PM
Cheap and effective is squirt gun full of amonia cleaner solution. Had a dog that used to attack me on my bike, one dose and he would run for cover everytime he saw me. ;D
This sounds like a good idea, plus making a police report, no need in this happening again to you are anyone else.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

beenthere

A neighbor farmer had a big german shepherd as his farm dog.
That dog would not let anyone get out of their car if they came into the farm yard (until the farmer showed up).
The farmer explained it all started when a salesman came one time and sprayed something (mace I believe) in the dogs face, and since then the dog wants to take down all who dare come into his space.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Take the legal route first.  Go to the Police and make out a report.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

21incher

I would report this to the police and request that animal control checks that that dog is up to date on all shots and not sick. If you have been told not to walk your dog on public property I would report that also as that indicates the owner will not provide full control of the animal. You should also request a vet check of your dog if the skin has been broken which the dog owners insurance should be responsible for. Next time it could be a child if the dog is not properly restrained.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

StimW

Report it! Especially considering his attitude!
In my County if a dog attacks another animal or person the owner has two options, put the dog down or get $100,000.00 insurance policy. There are other requirements too but those are the main ones.
If you want something to carry with you Wasp and Hornet Spray has a distance spray of 20' plus. Is legal to possess in most areas and I just bought a 2 can pack at Lowes today for $6.00
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

kderby

First, Thank You for having your dog on a leash!  Good dog and Good owner!  (I am not always such a saint but I have a yellow lab not an attack dog)

Second, Yes, report this.  Likely there are other incidents or one is coming up. 

Thanks for posting this.  It does inform my actions in the future.  Pepper spray, ammonia and leashing my dog are all worthy of consideration.

Regards

Kderby

Alcranb

Eight years ago my Lab was attacked and ripped open from the front of her front leg to her groin by 2 pit bulls. This happened on my farm several hundred yards into my property line. Guy down the street's buddy visits him, opens the door and the two dogs book. They found my dog under the shade of a tree while I was cultivating a field. Buddy chased the dogs and tried to pull them off my dog while they were killing her. Of course he was bit pretty good on his arm. Owner came over all apologetic but damage done. A month latter, yep,you guessed it. Al was sued for $98,000.00!! That's no misprint. Seems the dog owner leased the house he lived in and had no insurance. I did. Insurance company settled for the full amount. Lawyer said it was cheaper for them to settle rather than litigate. Promised me they wouldn't drop me or increase my premiums which they honored.
Bottom line....report it!!!! don't get in a squirting contest, just call 911 and report the incident. That dog attacked once and you can bet the farm he'll do it again. What if it's a kid?
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.  So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  (Mark Twain)

Chuck White

Absolutely report the incident to the police.

I would also report that the guy told me I had to take a different route!

Thirdly, I would start carrying a big stick and the attacking dog would get it!

You have a right to protect yourself and your pets.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

barbender

Report it, next time do it right away. There are way too many fools that have a real attraction to dangerous dog breeds, I don't know if it makes them feel tough or what.
Too many irons in the fire

Holmes

I like the squirt gun idea but that could get you in serious trouble if it looks like any type of a gun. You could get a squirt tube, a piston is pushed to eject the contents.   Animal control can tell you what the laws are in your town. Leash law, confinement laws.
Think like a farmer.

goose63

Quote from: Magicman on June 08, 2014, 05:26:26 PM
Take the legal route first.  Go to the Police and make out a report.
x2 and get a stun gun if thy are legal that will knock the dog off his feet but good
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

thecfarm

Good advice from the members. Our dogs are just like kids to us. Don't mess with them! Sounds like you are in the right. He has no right to tell you where to walk your dog. If he can't control his dog,he should not have it. I bet this is not the first time either.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

lowpolyjoe

Thanks for the advice guys

Alcranb - that's really an awful awful story.  So sorry to hear it. 

We were considering pepper spray.  Ammonia in a spray bottle or hornet spray sounds like it could be good too.  We carried a stick for a few days after the attack.  The bummer is that you only get one shot at the dog when it's coming towards you.  After they tangle up you're gonna be spraying both animals or risking hitting your own dog if you have a bat or something. 

Even tho it kills me, I'm going to avoid the area for a while.  This guy essentially said he's not gonna be responsible about chaining the dog.  It doesn't matter who's right or wrong if you or your animal gets hurt

My wife is off from work tomorrow and I think she is gonna file an official report.   Thing I don't like is that this guy can then get our name and address through public records and who knows what someone will do with that info. 

Thank You Sponsors!