iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Walnut drying time??

Started by reswire, June 07, 2014, 10:57:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reswire

Curious how long it might take to cure walnut in a open air barn?  I'd like to sell it, or try to make a few pieces of furniture out of it.  All of it is 4/4 cut, varying from 6 inches wide, to 10 inches.  It is stored in a metal barn with large open doors, so it should get plenty of air flow.  I've got it stickered with 1x1 inch strips, 12 inches apart.  I  haven't tried to air dry walnut before, but I do have a moisture meter to keep an eye on it.  ;D

Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

Ianab

In warmer weather with good airflow? Maybe 3 months? That will have it down to ~15% MC depending on your local climate. At that level it's safe to dead stack, although you may want to dry it further by bringing it inside or using a kiln before you use it for furniture.

But it will be OK to sell as "air dried" at that point. Anyone buying air dried wood should know to acclimate / dry it before using it.

Thicker takes longer, as does drying it in cooler weather.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

WDH

I agree with Ian.  3 or 4 months if there is good air flow, or you can augment the air flow with fans.  The moisture meter will tell you when you are done. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

reswire

Thanks, I appreciate the advice.  I've noticed that my barn gets pretty warm during the summer months, due to the red metal siding, and I suppose this should help quite a bit.  My son was kidding me about the number of carpenter bees I have around the barn in particular.  He seems to think they will be celebrating with all that nice lumber to chew on. :-\   I hope he is wrong, and in the mean time I've decided to go on the offensive to eradicate the little buggers.  I hate to fight with nature, but in the spring they are literally "all over the place", but seem to settle down with a few bug foggers and a tennis racket swinging to and fro! :D  Do you know of any way to keep them out without killing them??? 

Thanks,  Joe
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

WDH

I don't believe that they will mess with walnut. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

reswire

Quote from: WDH on June 08, 2014, 09:50:28 PM
I don't believe that they will mess with walnut.

There were so many bees in the barn when I bought the place, my father-in-law said they were "holding hands trying to keep the place together"!   :-\  The main posts were cedar, and the rest of the framing appeared to be red oak,,, so far, so good, it is still standing. 8)  I've seen the little fellows in houses before, and they can do a lot of damage if they bore length ways through a rafter.  I don't know how true it is, but some older carpenters I know have told me they have replaced beams and cross members because of them.  As an electrician, I've drilled more holes in pretty lumber than a whole universe of bees could ever imagine.  I guess it's just natures way of getting even...   :D

WDH

They are really bad in pine and other softwood framing lumber. 

Thank You Sponsors!