iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Made in USA?

Started by petefrom bearswamp, June 07, 2014, 10:53:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petefrom bearswamp

There may have been a thread about this in the past, but here goes.
Has anyone noticed the Made In USA logo on certain items?
When you read the fine print it says either Made in USA with imported parts or as in the case of a Stanley utility knife I just bought "from global parts".
The mini split AC system I just installed trumpeted that they are an American company, but when I picked up the items the boxes had Made in PRC on them.
Good old US advertising ploy.
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

yukon cornelius

when I was selling my farm equipment I had a reese drum mower (hay mower) that I had listed for sale online. I had a guy call me about it from buffalo ny. he told me his story. he owned a company that was subsidized by general motors. his company unboxed foreign parts and repackaged them in made in usa packaging. this practice was what gm  approached him to do for them.

for several years I was a union firefighter. I was given a list of acceptable stores to shop in and item acceptable to by. support American workers, right?? all the union apparel was made in china. or elsewhere. they say I shouldn't buy a truck or car from Toyota or other names who have factories in  the us but to buy a truck such as dodge, gm or ford who outsource outside our country and put us workers out on their butts. of the last 5 newer trucks I have owned dodges and a gmc, not one was made in the us.

I do my best to buy American and even more so support local shops and businesses. hope others do also.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

jargo432

Working for a major freight company I went to a manufacturing plant and picked up 6 crates of parts they had made.  They were shipping them overseas to have someone put them in boxes then ship them back for sale.

I asked why, and they told me it was cheaper to ship it overseas, have someone package it and ship it back than to pay someone here in America to do it. 

Really?
Jack of all trades.

CHARLIE

I've seen packages that say "Distributed in the USA".  ::)
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Chuck White

One item that I really don't like to see is U.S. flags, made in China!  >:(
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SwampDonkey

It's funny, my Stihl saws are all German made and most all the brush saw blades we buy here are Swede, but Stihl blades are Japan. I don't actually believe that all Chinese made items are junk, but what we have (in my area) is stores selling the junk quality like Dollar Stores and Canadian Tire etc... They are real clever, because your always buying junk to replace junk. Such as screw drivers made of softer metal than the screws.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

I ordered a drive sprocket for my mill.... China in big letters on the sprocket.  :snowball:
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

21incher

The  things you don't want to buy that are made in China are dog treats and dog food. They are killing our pets. Even some made in America brands use ingredients from China. There are very few products left that are totally made and packaged in America anymore.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Raider Bill

Pete, not to derail your thread but how do you like the mini split?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Sawyer697

State Patrol Uniform is made in China, U pay for them !
1997 LTHD40G24 WM Mill. 640 Bobcat. 555 ford Backhoe, Husky 365XP
40 Acres Foresty
Custom Sawing in Geauga and Lake County
Build my own solar kiln
Build Furniture, Out Buildings
Bee Keeper, Love My Lord

SwampDonkey

Your chicken is or will be shipped and processed in China and then shipped to the USA. Canada to I hear, so don't any of my canukistan colleges feel left out. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

isawlogs

I will stop eatin' chicken. Bad enough that it is getting harder to find garlic that is not grown there.  >:( :snowball:
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

WmFritz

Quote from: isawlogs on June 13, 2014, 11:01:08 PM
I will stop eatin' chicken. Bad enough that it is getting harder to find garlic that is not grown there.  >:( :snowball:

Growing up, my Father would bring home burlap sacks full of chickens that we butchered and put in the freezer.

The older I get, the more I realize how smart he was.  :D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Chuck White

Quote from: Sawyer697 on June 13, 2014, 09:04:42 AM

That's pretty bad, but worse yet, I went to buy a U.S. flag a while back and looking it over, there was a "Made in China" tag on it!

I went to another store and found a U.S. made flag!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

red

I have been to www.annin.com flag warehouse . . . There is a lot of Red White and Blue there
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

thecfarm

isawlogs,Offthebeatenpath sells garlic. I think in only 10 pounds lots. Shipping would be a killer.  ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

petefrom bearswamp

Raider Bill,
Like it so far. Used it on a couple of hot nights and heated my bedroom one cool morning.
It is ver quiet.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Raider Bill

I'm leaning in the mini split direction for my Tenn cabin. Need a/c more than heat.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

yukon cornelius

I installed several when I was doing heating and cooling years back and everyone was happy with them. I couldn't believe how quiet they were. I have been thinking about them for our new house. they are quite a bit cheaper than a full ducted system.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

hackberry jake

I was standing inline at the gas station and saw an american flag colored lighter. I tried it out and as soon as it lit it played our national anthem... made in china
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

woodenboater

Quote from: isawlogs on June 13, 2014, 11:01:08 PM

growing garlic is super easy. Put 'em in the ground in the fall and harvest the following summer ;) I've got garlic growing at the cabin from local organic bulbs. I figure unless I give most away, next year's garlic patch will be larger and such and every year after.

pineywoods

I can tell you for sure, all the chicken doesn't come from china. One of the largest chicken processing plants in the country is just a few miles from me. they use everything but the cackle. A twist, the feathers are chopped, dried and sent to china..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

LittleJohn

Quote from: Chuck White on June 14, 2014, 06:34:15 AM
Quote from: Sawyer697 on June 13, 2014, 09:04:42 AM

That's pretty bad, but worse yet, I went to buy a U.S. flag a while back and looking it over, there was a "Made in China" tag on it!

I went to another store and found a U.S. made flag!

I think in Minnesota, it is illegal to sell American flags that are not made in the USA.  ...or maybe its illegal for government building to fly flags that are not made in USA.

So, one of my friends stoppped by in his NEW work truck; works for the state and they have that whole "Buy American" thing going for them.  His truck was a Toyota Tacoma -> because technically it had more USA parts/labor, then any other truck availble.

BradMarks

My Toyota Tundra - made in San Antonio, TX, with 78% US parts! Kinda funny, my F-250 ('95) which I still have - made in Canada. Go figure ::)

Brucer

That last one is easy to explain.

The old Autopact allowed the big three North American auto makers to shift new cars and parts from Canada to the US (and vice versa) without any duties or import/export restrictions. The only limitation was that the work done in one country had to reflect the sales in that country.

In other words, if 10% of Ford's combined US and Canadian sales were in Canada, then Ford could manufacture 10% of its parts/vehicles in Canada and move them to the US. Ditto in the other direction. That's a bit of a simplification but it gives the idea. That made it possible for Ford (or GM, or Chrysler) to make an entire model line in one country and export some of them to the other country. Without the agreement, they would need two plants making the same model line -- one in Canada and one in the US.

When various Free Trade Agreements came into effect, other countries complained that the Autopact gave US & Canadian manufacturers and advantage in North America.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Thank You Sponsors!