iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

restless night

Started by yukon cornelius, June 07, 2014, 09:44:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yukon cornelius

it was late last night before we shut down the shop.dozer the dog was still out and we had just watched the evening news. dozer started raising caner outside. he and the cats don't get along and he barks at them but this was different. it was like when someone new pulls in (rare occasion). I stepped out to see what was up and saw nothing so I walked towards the shop to see if someone was there. theyu have to drive by the house to get there but if they take the upper drive we wouldn't see them. this dog is UPSET still raising cane towards the road. in almost to the shop and I here someone up at the road yell at him to shut the f*** up!! I make a line back to the house for a gun and spotlight. no car on the road so someone had to be walking. we are in a very unpopulated area on the county line. no one just happens to walk our road. especially that late. I walk up and down the road looking for them but found no one. so I put the spotlight on the charger get a couple other lights ready and have the guns ready. pull the keys on everything and lock up. poor dozer got to spend the night outside all night to take the night watch.

maybe im paranoid but I will take no chances. to many stories on the news each morning about things gone wrong.

time to replace the outdoor shoplight today.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

SawyerBrown

Wow. Be careful out there!
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

goose63

One time i fired a shot in to the wood pile and in a very loud voice get the DanG out of here was 6 years ago word got around fast no one comes here in the middle of the nite any more
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

beenthere

Quotetime to replace the outdoor shoplight today.

Put in a motion detector light. That way, IMO, it just lights up when someone (or animal too) sets it off.
A yard light on continuously just lights a thief's way and allows them to lurk in the shadows. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Buddyw

Shoot first and ask questions later.  ;D

chevytaHOE5674

On a calm clear night the racking of a Remington 870 can be heard for a long long ways 8)

clww

Not as far as a three round burst from a modified SKS. ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

WH_Conley

Been pretty quite around here since the night of loud noises and a fellow up the road spent several days not setting down. Appears he had an allergic reaction to some lead he found while gathering a load of scrap to take to the junk yard for a quick buck late one night. And then there was the one guy that was stealing a mans possessions and the fellow shot him in the south end while he was pointing north. About that time a neighbor open the door and also open fire catching him in the same pace. No charges were filed. The fellow went to jail where the jail house doctor and the jailer agreed o just let him lay face down on his cot and let the shot fester and work it's own way out, while in general population. Been pretty boring around here for the last few years.
Bill

Chuck White

I'd suggest installing a motion sensor inside the "locked" shop with the receiver at the house!

That way, the perpetrators wouldn't have any idea that you are on your way!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

ozarkgem

You never know. I round in the ground might have been a good idea. My neighbor went to the barn a few yrs ago and a guy jumped out of the hay loft and slashed him with a knife and We live in the country.
"A muzzle flash is my security light"
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

yukon cornelius

I have definitely changed my protocol for the barking dog check. i should have known since it was a far more upset bark than the average. earlier in the day we noticed armadillos had been rooting around behind the shop so I thought it might have been just that. now we all get readyand  don't go looking without a gun. me outside in my underwear might be enough to blind them or at least turn their stomach enough to keep me safe.
I may be the crazy kook that's on high alert but im not going to be like the poor souls on the news.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

ozarkgem

Don't forget we have the castle doctrine here. If you feel your life is in danger you have the right to use deadly force. Hopefully it was someone just passing through. I have expired 4 Armadillos so far this yr.
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

chain

One thing worse is the door bell ringing at 2:00 a.m. but no one there. Well, they're there but you can't see them clearly. My wife and I decided to stand still we never turn our inside lights on, and watch the shadow of a person standing off to the right out of the night lite. Turns out the 'person' was a young woman who had jumped out of a car that very night and was seeking safety. Finally the person walked straight out of our drive back into the rainy night.

beenthere

QuoteTurns out the 'person' was a young woman who had jumped out of a car that very night and was seeking safety.
How did you find that out?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

chain

Because, the next morning, I looked out the south windows and saw sheriff's and other police cars on the highway about 1/2 mile away. They had formed a search party with several officers and other persons, some with atvs, and heading up in our direction. Soon a deputy came to the door and asked and told us they were looking for a young woman who had been picked up at a truck stop and obviously panicked, jumped out of the car. They found her the same day at a truck stop up north , she was ok.

The guy who had picked her up actually went to the sheriff and told what had happened, therefore setting off the search.

thecfarm

Our cat has rubbed against the doorbell and made it ring a few times. It has never happened at night,yet. The railng is just high enough and the cat will rub itself against the house.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

Quote from: ozarkgem on June 08, 2014, 09:12:47 PM
You never know. I round in the ground might have been a good idea. My neighbor went to the barn a few yrs ago and a guy jumped out of the hay loft and slashed him with a knife and We live in the country.
"A muzzle flash is my security light"

If you go this route, it would be a good idea to put the bullet into a spot that you can remember, just in case the perpetrator accuses you of shooting "at him", then you can show the police where your bullet went!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

Hey Chunk,I hate to say it,but your're right. Even though that person was on your land late at night.  ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WmFritz

Quote from: thecfarm on June 09, 2014, 07:17:41 AM
Hey Chunk,I hate to say it,but your're right.  ::)

Ray, your not inferring that Mr.White is hefty are you?  :)
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Chuck White

Nah!

He just has a problem finding the small "c"!

;D

5quarter

Roy has always called him Chunk...A friend of mine for many years still calls me Chad.

Chet

;)
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

timberlinetree

A girl was murdered because of my lazyness/ tiredness. It was a late summer nite (about 2 am) and puppy started barking, but not the someone stopping by bark. She was barking towards the highway behind the house. I though it was a animal and told her good dog. She kept barking so I yelled at her to stop, bad me! It was the guy! He lived down the mountain and her and the kids at the top. He had used the route along the highway( interstate 90)before police said. When he ran into puppy the retreated and got his car, drove past our house to the next road, parked and continued along  the highway. He hid in the bushes until the kids went to school and then killed her with a bat. They latter found her car but not him. The man hunt went on for 2 weeks or so. He hung himself and the branch broke and he went down a gorge and wedged in a waterfall. ONLY if I had grabbed my gun and went out there things could have ended up driffrently. My hat goes off to you for not being lazy and standing hard!
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

timberlinetree

Opps! Ment standing gard.
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

scsmith42

Quote from: timberlinetree on June 10, 2014, 02:39:44 AM
A girl was murdered because of my lazyness/ tiredness.

No she wasn't.  She was murdered because some dirtbag hit her with a bat.. 
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

GAB

Quote from: Buddyw on June 07, 2014, 07:21:57 PM
Shoot first and ask questions later.  ;D

If you're a good shot that is one way of avoiding wrong answers.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Thank You Sponsors!