iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

In 50 years

Started by goose63, June 06, 2014, 08:04:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

goose63

If I live that long I will have a nice locust tree 8)

planted 12 seeds two are growing one is slow hope it makes it
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

mesquite buckeye

Looks like it needs more light. Don't do it all at once as it might sunburn. They grow pretty fast if they are happy. ;D 8) 8) 8) :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

sandhills

Goose I can give you all the black locust seedlings you want, might even be able to scrounge up a few honey locusts too  ;).  As far as the black locusts go you should see my yard!  :D

goose63

sandhills we have very few of them around here might have to take you up on that offer
goose

sandhills

This maybe easier to arrange than you think, my brother lives in Edgely? and he and his family are coming back on the 4th of July.  I think Keith told me you're not too far from there?

goose63

Keith is right I am 125 miles from there I hunt in Ellendale but thy cut tags way back this year 48000 so might not get a tag this year.
let me know I will run out there and pick them up
goose

sandhills

Just let me know how many, they probably won't be very big due to room in their vehicle but sure don't mind doing it and I'm sure he won't mind either, hope you folks are getting through all this weather alright.

goose63

I guess what thy have room for thank you
goose

Autocar

Probably twenty years ago I had a pin oak tree sprout up in the sawmill building so I dug it up and moved it. It is growing in the shade of hickory and red oaks but I would guess it is thirty feet tall and three or four inches thick at the base. Great things about trees cut one down and you can plant another.
Bill

goose63

Well looks like I out lived the trees might have to make a trip down to sandhills
goose

sandhills

Nah I can get them a bit closer to ya  ;).  Let me look around a bit, I'll find something, sorry to hear about that though.

sandhills

I failed to deliver  :-\, can any of the experts here tell the proper way I could ship some seedlings to goose?  Mine don't exactly match up to what he has in his picture, they are 4-6" and have a lot more leaves, any recomendations are appreciated.

mesquite buckeye

I got a bunch of them from the Kansas Forestry people for my CRP planting. I think you have to buy at least 25, but the price is quite reasonable. ;D 8) 8) 8)

Missouri Department of Conservation also sells them.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

sandhills

No, not what I meant, I have plenty, just wondering the best way to ship them if I can't get up there with them myself?

Thehardway

I would ship them as bare root seedlings.  Find some that are about 10-12" high.  Wait for fall and the leaves to fall off.  Let them get a couple hard frosts to harden off the above ground growth.  After that they should be dormant.  Providing ground is not frozen, you can then dig them up, shake off excess dirt, and then bundle them up together in some damp newspaper to keep the roots from drying out then put them in a cardboard box and you can then send them via mail UPS, Fedex or USPS.  Whoever gets them should promptly put them in a bucket of water to re-hydrate and then they can be permanently planted or "heeled in" for later planting.

They would likely not survive being shipped during the growing season unless balled and bagged and then you would pay a premium to ship any qty.  Planting during summer would not be as good as fall or early spring either. 

Others might advise different, this is just how I would do it and how you ship and receive most bare root tree seedlings from suppliers.  I've got lots of honey locust volunteers if anyone wants some.  (not sure why they would)
Norwood LM2000 24HP w/28' bed, Hudson Oscar 18" 32' bed, Woodmaster 718 planer,  Kubota L185D, Stihl 029, Husqvarna 550XP

sandhills

Thanks Thehardway, I was wondering about something like that, I think it'd be a lot more fun just to deliver in person  ;).  I have a brother who has a place not too far from goose so I'm trying to find a time I can get up there but just don't have much free time.  Thought maybe I could send him some and hope it worked out, btw I could probably come up with a few honey locust too  ;D.

goose63

sandhills if you were here on the 2nd of Aug there will be a 15 pound pork roast on the wood cooking grill
goose

SPIKER

I received some Paw Paw seeds about 5 years ago and planted them they came from one of our members and so far I have I think 6 or 8 that have made it.   This past BAD winter I though might take them out but I had left weeds grow up around them and mowed some grass onto them that fall.   Had a feeling it was going to be a bad winter and glad I did I can see some of them still growing & need to get them transplanted this year out of the garden and into the creek bottom. 8) 8)

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

sandhills

Quote from: goose63 on July 24, 2014, 08:03:57 PM
sandhills if you were here on the 2nd of Aug there will be a 15 pound pork roast on the wood cooking grill
Now you're really making this hard  :)!  Let me check with the boss on her schedule for work, I would really like to make it up there before silage cutting starts to see my brothers new place anyway, I'll be in touch and one way or another we'll get them there. 
P.S. I could also bring seeds as Spiker said, couldn't hurt to give them a try?

goose63

You guys are welcome to stop in any time it would be nice to meet another forum member
you can bet next year I will meet a bunch at the pig roast 8)
goose

Thank You Sponsors!