iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Spud from Loggah

Started by thecfarm, June 05, 2014, 09:01:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

This is what I got in the mail today.
A Spud from Loggah. This is used to peel the bark off from logs.I bet it will work better than that tire iron. Now I can show my friend I have the right tool for the job.   ;D

Now it looks like this!!

The old shovel handle could of been a little bit bigger. But it's all I had,so it will work out fine.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

A spud is better than grits in the mail.  :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

I had the grit Squad from The Kittery Border Patrol check out this package.   ;)  They was all set up when the mailman came and had it quarantined before the mailman had the mailbox door shut. Another fine job done by my Boys.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WmFritz

Ray, I was specting to see a nice fat potato.  ;D

I figured Loggah was trying to balance out your plate 'o grits.  :)
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

beenthere

Looks like you cleaned up that spud pretty good. smiley_thumbsup

Prolly got some sharp on it too.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

loggah

I know you southern boys would use it to stir "gritz" with!!I had to type in Gritz or up came smoked sucker!!! around here they used to pickle suckers,along with eels ! but Ray being a bit further north would use it properly !!!!! ;D ;D Ray,That handle looks like it will work just fine. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

21incher

Nice spud, Lets see some pics of you using it. Will the bark come off easily when fresh cut or do the logs have to dry before being peeled?
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

thecfarm

Pictures will be coming of it in use. Logs should be freshly cut this time of year in my area. If the logs was left too long,the bark would stick to the log.As soon as the trees wake up from the winter's cold I guess they could be peeled. I am not in the woods until things dry up,about now. From about now until mid July works the best. I use my chain saw and cut just through the back,make a line the full lenght of the log. Than I work the spud under the bark and "roll" the bark off with hemlock. That's why the spud has slight curve to it.The cedar I have I can pull the bark off in long strips with me staying on the end of the log. Do not step on the inside part of the bark!! It is very slippery when it first comes off. Be prepared to get a little wet. There is alot of mosture under that bark. Cut the limbs off as close as you can, makes it alot easier peeling. And I do mean close. The bark comes off real easy,if done at the right time.

Dave Shepard

Are you peeling in preparation for milling, or are you using the bark for something?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

GAB

RAY:
Will I have to team up with LYNN again?
Just a case of youth versus SAGE.
We know the results - Ray has GRITS.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Dave Shepard

GAB, it was quite thoughtful of you to see to Ray's winter traction needs, but it is much cheaper to just source local road sand for the task. ;)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

GAB

Dave:
I was able to prove to Ray that he had a lot of work to do on his GRITS detection system/devices.  Why even his dog did not warn him.
Speaking of his dog - it was a cute and friendly little mutt.  My wife got her puppy fix for the day.  Enjoyed meeting Ray and his wife.
Ray:
Any time you think you want to try and retest your Grits detection system just let me know and I'll see what I can do for you.
Lynn:
How is my credit?  I may just need another shipment.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

thecfarm

Dave,I may peel about 20 logs a year. Big on the may part too. The bark is left where I cut up my firewood. The cedar is usually long strips. The hemlock will break up into small pieces after it dries out.I drive the tractor over it to break it up. This way it builds up there so maybe I won't saw into the ground.

Thank You Sponsors!