iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Visit to an old U.P. farm

Started by Jeff, June 05, 2014, 08:43:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Lou and I stopped today to look at an old JD dozer sitting at an old Farm that is on the corner from our lands.  An old fellow came out and took us on a tour. he was the grandson of the man that built the place in 1910.  Saw a lot of neat stuff including a band saw that was built using a purchased kasco head put on a 40 foot track made from a split i-beam. The mill was almost submerged in the field. It had a unique dog type that I snapped a picture of  Kind of a crazy set up as the log had to be shimmed up after each cut as the sawhead was at a fixed height.

We got the grand tour of the old buildings and the junk piles in the fields. I should have took more photos, but was worried that it might come off a bit disrespectful on a first visit. I was invited to come back some day to visit again.  While out looking at the old iron pile I spotted a hunk of an old dragsaw blade. This was the mother of U.P. dragsaw blades! Huge!   Anyhow, I made such a fuss over finding it, the guy asked if I would like to have it. I said YES, I sure would!! and he gave it to me. I took a picture of it with a 5 gallon pale for scale. :)

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

clww

Great finds!
Get us some more pics in the future. ;)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I had NO IDEA blades came in that shape.  :)

Good pics Jeff and thanks for "Michigan Pickers" report.  smiley_thumbsup

****You gonna get some art work painted on your new blade?****
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

Nice.  Me thinks that you have a new friend.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

Notice the cabin door on the last photo?  That is from the extreme cold winter. It is a steel bear door and the paint blew off from it contracting.

Chuck White

That's quite a blade Jeff.

The ole guy probably has a lot of stories to turn loose whenever your ears are ready!

Always nice to meet someone with similar interests!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

beenthere

Great, now where is the pic of the JD dozer?    ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Jeff

Quote from: beenthere on June 05, 2014, 09:21:48 PM
Great, now where is the pic of the JD dozer?    ;D

that was to early in the tour to pull out the camera. :D

LAZERDAN

Ya der aye  Now I know why all the paint on my steel garage doors is just like that one,  I could not figure it out. Thanks for the info,  It's was a hellish stretch of cold this winter -30's at night.  I think I may have to sandblast the doors and paint them with some kind of flexible auto paint ??     Lazerdan

Buddyw

Where are the pictures of the John Deer Dozer ?

Autocar

Nothing better then old junk piles and the fellows that own them. It will be alot of fun setting down and hearing the store of his life. Can't wait to hear some of them  ;).
Bill

loggah

Jeff,Thats one strange looking drag saw  blade !!!!! it sure has been filed a lot !!!   i like junk !!! obviously! ;D Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

Jeff

It is definitely different. It may be home cut?  Here is a closer view of the teeth.

kczbest

Good find. I don't know what's better getting a "parting" gift or hearing the stories.
Hail State!
2013 F150 Supercrew 4x4
John Deere 5303 4x4 with FEL
Cook's MP 32
Cat 289C with Bradco MM60 Forestry Mulcher Head

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Jeff on June 05, 2014, 08:51:47 PM
Notice the cabin door on the last photo?  That is from the extreme cold winter. It is a steel bear door and the paint blew off from it contracting.

Need a 1/2 gallon of green Tremclad? That'll stick to anything that's nailed or bolted down. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Billbob

You're right Jeff!  That mill is just about buried.  Please forgive my ignorance but how is a 'drag saw' set up for use?  That is one rugged looking blade!
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

Jeff

dragsaw is a reciprocating buck saw.  They can be powered in a myriad of ways.

Billbob

Quote from: Jeff on June 06, 2014, 10:05:00 PM
dragsaw is a reciprocating buck saw.  They can be powered in a myriad of ways.

Thanks
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

SwampDonkey

Isn't that one in the Boiestown museum powered by horse treadle?

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Billbob

Quote from: SwampDonkey on June 07, 2014, 05:23:43 AM
Isn't that one in the Boiestown museum powered by horse treadle?

Didn't know they had a museum in Boiestown.  I'll have to pay it a visit.

SwampDonkey

Yes, been one there about 30 years. I have a distant cousin in there where the fire suppression section is. George Miller, he started the forest fire fighting in NB, NB chief forester.

Billbob

30 years!!   I'm hanging my head in shame! 

SwampDonkey

We live closer to Patten, Maine. They have a lumberman's museum also, it's older I think. We often go there for the bean hole supper and tour the museum in August. They have one of those steam powered log haulers.

Billbob

My wife and I make a yearly excursion to Maine.  Usually in the fall.  Would the museum in Patten be open then?

SwampDonkey

Alcranb

Bill, my wife and I go up to Presque Isle most every year to the hot air ballon festival the end of August. We usually get over to Patten and tour the museum. Even if it's not "open" there's lots to see outdoors. Guess you could say it's self guided, very quaint.
Al
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.  So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  (Mark Twain)

Billbob

Quote from: SwampDonkey on June 10, 2014, 03:24:11 AM
Should be, I would think.
Quote from: Alcranb on June 10, 2014, 11:33:23 AM
Bill, my wife and I go up to Presque Isle most every year to the hot air ballon festival the end of August. We usually get over to Patten and tour the museum. Even if it's not "open" there's lots to see outdoors. Guess you could say it's self guided, very quaint.
Al

Thanks Swamp and Al.  On our next trip we'll take a tour of Patten.

Bill

Thank You Sponsors!