iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawmill Alignment & Maintenance and Sawing

Started by Magicman, June 05, 2014, 06:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OneWithWood

Aren't you glad you went with the auto-clutch?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Magicman

Yes, very much so.  We like each other.   :)

Maybe I could have still disposed of those 63 ERC logs in 12½ hours, but certainly not as easily.  I was back on the job sawing at 6:15 this morning and we were finished at 9:30.  This was a hourly rate job, so I did not scale the mostly 5/4 & 8/4 lumber with six beams and timbers and one mantel mixed in.   :)

We only encountered two logs with metal.  I found two nails with a blade in one and the "locator lady" found the other which was bucked off.   ;D

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

Must have been some pretty good cedar logs.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Yes, they were exceptionally good.  We discarded only one log off of the sawmill after opening it.

That plus this was a repeat customer several times over.  I stepped off of the sawmill only one time this morning, which speaks well for the help knowing what to do to keep me sawing.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

barbender

If I haven't said it before, I'll say it now- you are an inspiration, Magicman ;) I hope I can take my mill from "expensive hobby" to a viable business like you have someday. I have done enough custom sawing so I'm not wearing rose colored glasses; enough to recognize that you have your ducks in a row for your operation to work like it does.
Thank you for sharing.
Too many irons in the fire

Magicman

Well, thank you sir, but it is not about me.  Hopefully my posts will inspire others.

Several times I wanted to stop and take a picture of the "workers" but when I am sawing hourly rate, I don't stop.  The customer could be thinking "it just cost me a dollar for him to take that picture".

Okrafarmer

I have to align my LT40 all the time. All the adjustment is gone out of the backstops so I use a speed square for the logs where it really matters to get a square cut. Not too important when doing live edge lumber or simple 1-inch or 3/4 inch material, which I do a good bit of. Definitely important when you're making mantels, posts, and beams.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Okrafarmer on June 08, 2014, 08:12:19 AM
I have to align my LT40 all the time. All the adjustment is gone out of the backstops so I use a speed square for the logs where it really matters to get a square cut. Not too important when doing live edge lumber or simple 1-inch or 3/4 inch material, which I do a good bit of. Definitely important when you're making mantels, posts, and beams.

You can bring back the back stops by adjusting the bed rails then the head.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

barbender

I definitely understand not taking pictures on the hourly jobs, MM ;)
Too many irons in the fire

MartyParsons

Hello,
Magic how often to you check the mill on hours?

This statement I am not sure about.
QuoteYou can bring back the back stops by adjusting the bed rails then the head.

There have been some up grades to the adjustment points on the back supports through time. If the back supports are not adjustable,( or out of adjustment max point)   this will point out something worn or bent. It could be the back support, pivot pin or even the bolt hole.
Parts are available and even up grades if you are having trouble keeping everything in alignment.  Most of the parts are very reasonable, or worth replacing versus being frustrated every time you operate the mill.

Adjusting the bed rails to make the back supports come out square will get you in trouble somewhere else.

Thanks for the post.
M
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Magicman

Quote from: MartyParsons on June 08, 2014, 05:21:12 PMMagic how often to you check the mill on hours?   
I do not really have a maintenance "schedule", but I am constantly looking for anything that may be out of adjustment.  In this instance, I did not want any surprises while I was on the road and I had the time to spend doing a general look over.  Since I had only replaced one bearing recently on the power feed, that entire job needed doing.  In 13 years, that was the second time to rebuild the power feed.  No alignments were out enough to affect the lumber quality.

I schedule a WM service route check every three years, which has worked nicely.  That work is done "hourly rate" instead of a package because the normal service is always up to date. 

drobertson

I agree with marty on the bed rails, only because it seems to be a band aid fix, thinking it would work, just not good for the long haul, bushings and or bent components has to be the culprit on the back stops, very fixable and worth the fight.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Peter Drouin

Quote from: drobertson on June 08, 2014, 07:06:44 PM
I agree with marty on the bed rails, only because it seems to be a band aid fix, thinking it would work, just not good for the long haul, bushings and or bent components has to be the culprit on the back stops, very fixable and worth the fight.

Quote from: MartyParsons on June 08, 2014, 05:21:12 PM
Hello,
Magic how often to you check the mill on hours?

This statement I am not sure about.
QuoteYou can bring back the back stops by adjusting the bed rails then the head.

There have been some up grades to the adjustment points on the back supports through time. If the back supports are not adjustable,( or out of adjustment max point)   this will point out something worn or bent. It could be the back support, pivot pin or even the bolt hole.
Parts are available and even up grades if you are having trouble keeping everything in alignment.  Most of the parts are very reasonable, or worth replacing versus being frustrated every time you operate the mill.

Adjusting the bed rails to make the back supports come out square will get you in trouble somewhere else.

Thanks for the post.
M

OK, If you all say so. :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Okrafarmer

Quote from: drobertson on June 08, 2014, 07:06:44 PM

Yes, you're right, it's just a matter of having the money to make the fix right now. I'm not frustrated enough with it to do it yet, and in all honesty I'm trying to figure out how to get a newer sawmill so I choose my battles carefully. I'm accurate enough for my purposes right now.

One other possible "bandaid" fix that would not throw anything else out of alignment is to carefully, scientifically, weld extensions onto the existing back supports. The new pieces would weld onto the side of the old ones, and stick out at the proper angle. Not ideal, but I'm dealing with a 25-year-old machine and can't shell out a lot on it.

Thanks for the thoughts. I really want to find a way to get a new, or at least newer, Woodmizer, so I'm being selective with how I spend what little money I do have.  :)
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

drobertson

Welding shims to your back supports would be a good fix.  Might even consider some flat bar with a tapped hole, using set screws to give you the angle needed to square them up.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Magicman

When I bought my sawmill, the side supports were actually arched sorta like a banana.  This had been caused by heavy abuse by the previous owner.  I took a "rosebud" and heated and straightened the supports and they have remained straight.

That being said, before welding anything to the side supports, I would heat the bottom and bend them.  This would allow the adjustment to bring them back to square.

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Magicman on June 09, 2014, 07:36:26 AM
When I bought my sawmill, the side supports were actually arched sorta like a banana.  This had been caused by heavy abuse by the previous owner.  I took a "rosebud" and heated and straightened the supports and they have remained straight.

That being said, before welding anything to the side supports, I would heat the bottom and bend them.  This would allow the adjustment to bring them back to square.

And you can just bend the part that rest on the main beam when the stop is up. The flange will bend or work its way to the rail the head rides on. Just put the stops down and get a big hammer and bend them back to the loader arms. So when there up they just hit the top inside side of the main beam.
But I'm probably wrong again.   :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

prittgers

We found that the Woodmizer Factory Alignment Guide is really helpful when taking time to bring everything back into spec.  So many of my Wood-Mizer friends live off the road system that I keep copies printed and bound with a clear plastic cover.  It is available on-line, too.  but so nice to have it in print.  Email alaska@Woodmizer.com if you would like to purchase a copy.  $15 plus $3.00 postage.  It's a great help to making the Woodmizer cut straight and square again.  Parker
Parker Rittgers
Professional Sawyer, Retired, well, not really !
WoodMizer Alaska | 907.360.2497 cell 336.5143 office BevelSider.com ? Everything BevelSider
prittgers@aksamill.com

backwoods sawyer

Been noticing the guide arm hesitating and not responding corectly so pulled it off and pulled the bearings out. One was not turning three turned freely and the rest were rough turning, pulled the oil seals out tossed them in plasic jar filled it half way with deisle and rinsed them out a couple times blew them out and repacked them, all are turning freely so reinstalled them. pulled the guide motor apart and the brushes were worn heavy so put a new brush end cap on the motor and it is back to moving smoothly, checked alignment and it was spot on.

Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Peter Drouin

I hate rust to  :D :D  I have painted them with ATF and the little chain too, and have had no problem so far. The guard is off so I can get in there good. :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Magicman

Looks/sounds like a good "tailgate" repair job Harvey.   8)

backwoods sawyer

They are all tail gate repairs anymore ;)
soaked the little drive chain in bar oil while it was off, when on the mill use a paintbrush with oil as it runs in and out to lube it.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

drobertson

Sheared the drive pin on the guide motor a day ago, gave that area a good look, all tight and smooth for now, seems like I remember a slick fix on these lil dowel pins can't remember the post.

Dave Shepard

I sheared that pin a couple of weeks ago, too. I keep spare 1/8"x3/4" roll pins in the toolbox.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!