iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Not a good spring start up!

Started by cutter88, June 05, 2014, 04:36:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cutter88

Our first day back in the bush for the season and my faller got hit bad in the knee with a 4" chunk of tree and will be off for awhile now... Never good to se someone hurt in the bush
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

JakeG

That's really unfortunate. Any idea how it happened?
$5.00 fine for whinin'

cutter88

Yes I was there... There was a rotten cherry stump about 4' tall standing...  He was about 10' feet from it I was winching in a hitch and my hitch came up against that stump and it broke up and flew at him, hit him square in the knee... In hind site maybe he shouldn't have been there but in my and his oppion he was at a safe distance but it was a freak accident.... Either way it's sucks to see anyone hurt in the bush
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

thecfarm

Hind sight is always 20/20. Yes that was a freak accident. Too bad.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bill m

Sorry but IMHO 10 feet from a hitch being winched in does not sound like a safe distance. I hope he has a speedy recovery and no lasting effects from this mishap.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

beenthere

What in your opinion would have been a safe distance? Just curious...
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Gary_C

The operators manuals for most logging equipment establish a minimum safe distance of 150 feet or more for any one on foot. It's probably not well observed as people do inadvertantly get caught within that safe distance as a machine passes the area where they are walking or standing or at landings where there are people on foot. 
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Ianab

Like was said, bit of a freak accident. Could have driven past 99 times with nothing bad happening, and the 100th time, it catches and flicks up some debris, and bang, man down.

So yeah, 10 ft from a skid may seem safe, 99% of the time.  :-\

But really to be safe, you don't want guys walking around the skid trails, just in case....

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

beenthere

A bit like the advice given regards a tornado threat, and that is "Go to a safe place". 

A person does not know where that safe place is until the "event" is over, be it skidding a log by another worker or bystander or standing on a street corner waiting for the light to change to walk across at the intersection.

Not arguing about the 10' distance, as this time it wasn't safe enough.
Just am a bit confused that anyone can really make a call on what is a safe distance.

Maybe why I work alone in the woods... ;)  (and that for certain is not classified as "safe" by any advice, but they are more than 150'' away. )
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!