iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need a trimmer...which kind?

Started by Leigh Family Farm, June 05, 2014, 09:34:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leigh Family Farm

My wife and I recently moved into a new house and received about $300 in Home Depot gift cards. I do not have a trimmer/weed whacker and was looking to get one but I don't know which brands are good. I like the idea of being able to have one power head and multiple attachments (trimmer, pole saw, tiller, etc.). Currently Home Depot sells Echo, Ryobi, and Toro. Which one should I get?

Thanks!
There are no problems; only solutions we haven't found yet.

yukon cornelius

not listed on the available brands but my stihl fs90 is the first that will start reliably year after year. its the first trimmer I wont run over with my truck on purpose  :D
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

sawguy21

If you want to stay at Home Depot, Echo is the winner. Ryobi and Toro are rebranded Homelites built in China and IMHO a complete waste of hard earned cash.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

beenthere

I'd suggest buying such tools at a dealer that will service their brand.
Don't think that is the case with Home Depot, so I'd spend the gift cards on something other than "motorized" items.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

drobertson

I agree with having a service dept associated with trimmers, or any two cycle engine yard tool.  I went through several smaller trimmers with the curved shaft,  I would recommend a straight shaft one, and have had no issues with the Huskie's  lots of options and attachments, as it is with most larger manufacturers.  Parts availability, cost and reliability would be on the top of the list.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

ely

go with a high dollar brand like stihl, or stay with walmart weedeater feather weight model.

sprucebunny

Our Home Depot is very good about just exchanging stuff....

I got a Ryobi expand-It for Christmas. I asked for plug-in 10 amp because I have bad luck with small gas engines but my generators work well. The accessories (tiller, whipper and saw-on-a-stick) work well but the electric powerhead has a poorly designed switch. Took it apart today and eliminated the "safety" lever. This was the second one that only worked a few minutes....

Now, they have a 40 volt cordless that powers the same attachments. I'll try that when/if this powerhead fails.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

stihltoomany

Quote from: kilgrosh on June 05, 2014, 09:34:40 AM
My wife and I recently moved into a new house and received about $300 in Home Depot gift cards. I do not have a trimmer/weed whacker and was looking to get one but I don't know which brands are good. I like the idea of being able to have one power head and multiple attachments (trimmer, pole saw, tiller, etc.). Currently Home Depot sells Echo, Ryobi, and Toro. Which one should I get?

I would go with Stihl because I have a great dealer. Although I haven't needed much for my trimmers. They are 10 to 15 years old, I hope the new ones are as good. ;D

Thanks!
Way too many saws, mostly STIHL
Bobcat S650, Bobcat 331 excavator Bobcat A770
and other dirt toys
Looking for hyd bandsaw mill, Timberking used maybe? NOT anymore!
WoodMizer LT40 super

21incher

I recently bought a Echo SRM-225 at Home Depot to replace a Stihl FS-85 that died after only 9 years and approx. 1-1/2 (1 lb.) rolls of line. I have about 10 hours on the Echo and love it. It uses about 1/3 less gas then the Stihl did, vibrates about 50% less then the old Stihl, starts with 2-3 pulls, Reloads the line in about 20 seconds, and was 1/2 the price of the Stihl. Plus it has a 5 year warranty. No more Stihl for me. Plus at HD you have 30 days to try it and return it if you get a bad one or are not happy with it.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

stihltoomany

Glad you like your Echo Trimmer. If you use it as little as your Stihl it will end up dead also. If you aren't going to use your power equipment, there is no need to buy the good stuff. There for any trimmer will serve your needs. :D

ps send me your Stihl and I'll pay the shipping.
Way too many saws, mostly STIHL
Bobcat S650, Bobcat 331 excavator Bobcat A770
and other dirt toys
Looking for hyd bandsaw mill, Timberking used maybe? NOT anymore!
WoodMizer LT40 super

WDH

My Stihl FS85 is 20 years old and still working great.  I don't own any echo equipment, but hear good things about them.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I have an Echo.....and get good service from it.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

I have an old Echo,SRM 2501. Must be 25 years old. I only had to bring it to the shop 2 years ago for the first time. The starter was worn out in it. One of the few things that I own that I never had to spend money on except the wear parts. And I use it ALOT too. I have run 3-4-5 tank full of gas through that thing right back to back cutting grass knee high.It has been used here at The C Farm for all that time. I say I have a mile of stone walls that need trimming. I use to use it to keep the pasture free of grass and bushes. The primer bubble is cracked on it now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

LAZERDAN

Don't let anyone discourage you from getting an echo trimmer,  I have a fleet of them they are well balanced and well thought out.  they will not let you Down`!  I have a lawn service and have all brands Stihl, redmax, I see the ones the guys grab the most.  Now they all work, just like ford and chevy, but you can use your gift card on an Echo straight shaft       Lazerdan 

21incher

Found my local Echo dealer and stopped in today to pick up the gearbox lube. They were great people and told me if I ever have any problems bring it right in and they would take care of it quickly. It didn't mater that I bought it at home depot, they just wanted to make sure I was happy with the Echo product. I was told that many landscape companies use the SRM- 225 due to its reliability, long life, and price. I also found out if you use their RedArmor oil in the mix you can let it sit for up to 2 years without any fuel problems. And early failure due to low usage is not a problem with the Echo or Husky lines they sell. I guess it must be a Stihl thing.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Bruno of NH

Buy an echo !!!
I have a pas-225 with power broom , brush cutter , trimmer
Had it for ten years only needed a new  fuel line .
It's cut tons of brush all day long day after day .
Jim Bruno of nh
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Billbob

I'll second the motion.  Buy an Echo!  My wife does all the 'whipper snippin' around here and she loves her Echo.  It's light and starts easy.  We also have an Echo bush saw.  Works great.
Woodland Hm126 sawmill, LS 72hp tractor with FEL, homemade log winch, 8ft pulp trailer, Husqvarna 50, Husqvarna 353, homemade wood splitter, 12ft dump trailer, Polaris Sportsman 500 with ATV dump trailer

hacknchop

I wont tell you what to buy but my wife bought us an echo trimmer gotta be 10 yrs ago still going strong also bought me a echo saw im on my second one best starting saw ever use it for trimming right off the mill never used stilh but never heard any of my buddies who have them complain either.
Often wrong never indoubt

celliott

I'll echo the motion for the echo trimmer  ;D
We had an SRM trimmer, not sure what model, but it was a great trimmer, worked flawlessly until my brother learned the hard way 2-strokes need oil in the gas....
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Leigh Family Farm

Thanks everyone for the great replies. I'm glad to hear that people use the Echo brand and enjoy it very much. Here's another question: straight shaft or curved?

sawguy21

Depends what you need it for. My curved shaft with .080" line works fine in the yard for lawn grass, if I let the weeds in the drive area get away then I bring home a straight shaft from work. It has more power and uses .095" line, it is more useful  for reaching around shrubbery and trees.

thecfarm

Been a long time since I brought mine,but seem like the curved shafts are smaller in hp or cc whatever it is now. But this was 25 years ago. Yes,depends what you are using it for. I use to mow about 6-8 lawns. Really did not need the size that I brought But at times I would get a job that the lawn was 2 feet tall. Glad for the power than. I use to use it here alot in the wet hole. Had that wide blade grass. Glad again for the power.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Leigh Family Farm

I would use it mostly for trimming and small brush pruning. The backyard border is a bramble patch that needs constant cuttings. I think I'll end up getting a straight shaft one because of the multiple attachment options. Thanks everyone!

sawguy21

Ensure you get one with a solid shaft. The lower priced straight shafts use cable which does not stand up well when brushing. The manufacturers usually will not warranty these units when equipped with a saw type clearing blade.

Leigh Family Farm

I'll look into the warranty on the cable if there is one. Thanks!

Thank You Sponsors!