iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What to do 031 av

Started by basspapaw, June 15, 2014, 04:01:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

basspapaw

Not sure whether to fix or list it as is. I have a 031av that for sure needs a fuel line and I think that is it, But I dont know if it is worth putting any money in it or just selling for parts. I wouldnt mind having it for a back up ,But I dont want a back up that is a money pit. You guys know more about these saws than I do so your opinions will be appreciated!

sawguy21

First of all. welcome to the forum. Your saw is 40 years old and of little value not running. How are you with tools and little engines? If you like working on saws by all means go through it and freshen it up. If it is not your thing give it to somebody who does.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

bandmiller2

Bassguy, 031 Stihls are good tough little saws and well worth something simple like a fuel line. I have one I bought new in 76 and she's not worn out yet. Theirs all kind of instructions here and on the net. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

basspapaw

Thanks for the train of thought . Do any of the site sponsors sell fuel lines for 031?

JohnG28

Check out chainsawr to the left of the page. Give him a call if it's not listed online. Baileys might also. Sure there's other places to get one as well. If all it needs is a fuel line that's certainly no reason to dump a saw. May need a carb rebuild too if in need of fuel line. Do the impulse line while you're at it too. If nothing else it will be a good learning experience. Go over the whole saw because you'll have most of it apart to get the fuel lines run most likely. This is a good time for a complete once over and fix/replace as needed.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

basspapaw

Once i get one of my other projects completed I will probably fix her up
Thanks for your input
Basspapaw

deerslayer

Replacing rubber parts on outdoor power equipment is now pretty routine maintenance in light of the more reactive fuels that we must utilize. Fuel lines, carb kits, impulse lines, etc are something that will just need to be replaced periodically. I purchased an impulse line for a Stihl 024 from the Stihl dealer yesterday and it cost $2.41. So the price shouldn't keep you from servicing the saw and putting it back in service. While it is an old saw and not worth a lot, it can continue to do for you what it has been doing for the past three or four decades... Fix it.
Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

Thank You Sponsors!