iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ford 8N question

Started by Raider Bill, June 04, 2014, 02:37:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

Are 8n's positive or negative ground systems?

I'm hoping to get mine running the end of this month. Bought a 6v battery but getting conflicting answers. 
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

yukon cornelius

if its all original 6volt positive ground. that's how they came from the factory
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

yukon cornelius

I convert all that I restore to 12 volt with an alternator and a coil with the resistor built into it. very reliable. chevy "one wire" alternator (built in regulator)$35, $20 coil and small car sized 12 battery $50 verses  $110 generator rebuild a $70-100 6 volt battery , and an at least $50 regulator its a no brainer. for purist its a no no! I like to build for reliability. 12 volt battery gets you better cranking. a big 12 volt battery eats starter drives though.

Alcranb

Like Yukon said.... Positive ground and soooo much better converted to 12V. I did my 8N, Farmall A and BN. No regrets especially in the winter.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.  So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  (Mark Twain)

yukon cornelius

oh yeah, I forgot to say when converted to 12volt its neg. ground. and the 6volt starter does not have to be changed.

36 coupe

Quote from: Raider Bill on June 04, 2014, 02:37:26 PM
Are 8n's positive or negative ground systems?

I'm hoping to get mine running the end of this month. Bought a 6v battery but getting conflicting answers.
Half the cars and trucks built in 1940 were positive ground.All 6v tractors Ive worked on were positive ground.This is a major problem with internet forums, about 1/2 the info is wrong.

r.man

If a battery has been hooked up wrong the generator will need to be polarized to work properly. Haven't done one in a while so I looked it up and this sounds right to me. http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=nboard&th=472093
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

isawlogs

Positive ground. If you are not restoring to original, do yourself a favour and go 12 volts when you have the time to do it. You will need to change the bulbs if and when you do do(Tom) it  :)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

36 coupe

Quote from: yukon cornelius on June 04, 2014, 03:09:14 PM
I convert all that I restore to 12 volt with an alternator and a coil with the resistor built into it. very reliable. chevy "one wire" alternator (built in regulator)$35, $20 coil and small car sized 12 battery $50 verses  $110 generator rebuild a $70-100 6 volt battery , and an at least $50 regulator its a no brainer. for purist its a no no! I like to build for reliability. 12 volt battery gets you better cranking. a big 12 volt battery eats starter drives though.
A 12 volt coil with a built in resistor is a fable.

yukon cornelius

I have had points burn up quickly without using a resistor or a built in resistor. fable or not points burnt up quick til resistor was put in. I learned it from an old timer and have used it ever since. its just my personal preference.

StimW

You don't need a resistor, they sell 12V  coils that fit like OEM.
example-
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-12-Volt-Front-Mount-Coil-for-Ford-Tractor-2N-8N-9N-9N12024-12V-/171318164592?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

I bought a 8N and a 9N for $1700. 15 years ago needing repairs.
Both were converted to 12V negitive ground/alternator when I got them.
Great tractors when you look at their history!
But my 35 hp Branson diesel would drag either one of them sideways.
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

thecfarm

My Father's 1954 NAA Ford was red ground. I think I said that right.Looked odd to see it. Those 6 volts sure do turn over slow. We never used it when it was cold. The 6 volts worked fine.
I walked into one of those discount auto stores. I asked for a 6 volt battery for a NAA 1954 Ford. All I got was a Huh?? I went next door to Napa and got one.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Don't burn the dang thing up, Bill.  :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

yukon cornelius

not all 12 volt coils have built in resistor such as this one from steiner. some do is the reason I suggested a coil with it built in. if its not internally resistor then it can be externally. the description of this part says 12 volt coil, must use resistor. it will work without it but the points can get hot and fail prematurely.

http://www.steinertractor.com/ABC119-distributor-coil-12-volt

also not all 8ns were front dist. later models were side dist. a much better setup as far as im concerned.

I wasn't trying to step on toes just wanted to help.

Magicman

Most all of the coil/distributor engines in my era cranked/started with 12 volts to the coil, then ran with the resistor in the coil circuit.  The resistor was a white porcelain rectangle about ¾" square and 2" long which was mounted on the fire wall.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sawguy21

Quote from: yukon cornelius on June 04, 2014, 06:37:39 PM
oh yeah, I forgot to say when converted to 12volt its neg. ground. and the 6volt starter does not have to be changed.
Why would the starter not spin backward?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

StimW

Why would the starter not spin backward?
[/quote]

Starter motor rotation is determined by brush location. To change direction the brushes need to be re positioned to change the magnetic fields.
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

36 coupe

Quote from: thecfarm on June 04, 2014, 09:29:49 PM
My Father's 1954 NAA Ford was red ground. I think I said that right.Looked odd to see it. Those 6 volts sure do turn over slow. We never used it when it was cold. The 6 volts worked fine.
I walked into one of those discount auto stores. I asked for a 6 volt battery for a NAA 1954 Ford. All I got was a Huh?? I went next door to Napa and got one.
My last 6v battery came from TSC.Sams Club had 7 6v batteries on display last time I was there.NAPA store has the long 6v batteries on hand.I been using a Ford tractor with a 6v battery for 28 years.Starts when I cant.

Thank You Sponsors!