iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old Stihl 028 Wood Boss Bar Oiler Problem

Started by adam3654, June 04, 2014, 12:15:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

adam3654

Hello,

This is my first post on this forum, and I am trying to get my step-father's old 028 WB working, as it is his (and my) favorite saw out of the collection. 

The bar does not seem to be getting oil, yet when I have the bar off and the engine running, there is oil coming out of the hole in the oiler slot. When I am cutting I can see oil dripping from under the sprocket cover and there is very little to no oil spraying off of the chain. It is like the oil is somehow squeezing out from between the metal plate and the bar rather than going in the oil hole on the bar. I have removed the plate to see if there was wood dust or something creating gap space near the oiler slot but I can't seem to find anything that could be the cause of this. I have made sure that the bar is tight to the metal plate when putting the cover back on.

I have 2 bars, an old one and a new one, and the oil holes are clear of gunk and seem to line up to the slot on the engine. Neither bar is receiving oil.

I am at a loss and I really want to fix this saw. Any help is appreciated.

JohnG28

Welcome to the forum. Have you tried running something like a knife or screwdriver down the bar rails to get any junk out of the groove?  Crap will accumulate in there and can stop oil from flowing. You said you cleaned out the holes for the oil in the bar so that's covered. I also hit the bar rails, oil holes and under the clutch cover with compressed air.  Hope it helps.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

beenthere

Welcome to the Forum.

What brand bars are they... the old and the new ?

If as you say, 1) the oil is pumping out into the oil slot, and 2) the bars are clean of any debris, and 3) the oil hole in the bar matches the oil slot... then the oil should be coming off the tip when running.

If not coming off, then at least one of the three things is the problem.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

adam3654

Thanks for the replies JohnG28 & beenthere!

JohnG28- The bar rails are clean of debris, but I am probably going to re-do the cleaning just to make sure.

beenthere- Both bars are Stihl brand, one is ancient and the other is brand new (never used it to cut before trying to troubleshoot the current issue)

When I had the bar off I saw the oil coming out of where it is supposed to, but is there anywhere else it could be coming out when the bar is on?

Next chance I get I am going to try to get the bar bolted on the the engine without the chain and cover plate to see if I can notice the source of the leak.

I was also thinking about trying to put a thin gasket around the oil slot to see if there is some type of gap issue between the engine and the metal plate. Could this create issues?

Thanks again for all the help!

JohnG28

I haven't worked on an 028 before,  but I suppose when there is back pressure at the outlet that a leak could present itself. Could be a cracked line between the pump and bar plate. With a couple large washers you can bolt up the bar with the clutch cover removed and may be able to see a little better. Be real careful though!
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

adam3654

I was able to open the saw up last night after running the saw with the bar on and the cover off. The bar was getting some oil, but when I opened the cover behind the sprocket, it was full of oil in there. The picture below was taken after I sopped up about 75% of the oil.  The gasket behind the oil pump looks like its bad, I have ordered a new one and am praying that the pump is still operational. The oil pump was supposedly replaced with a used pump, but it looks like they retrofitted a pump from a newer 028 in there. The original pump for this saw is a different part number, and it looks like they had to file off a bit of the case to make it fit. I also ordered a new chain sprocket (it definitely needs to be replaced).   

Edit: Is it normal for there to be bar oil around the clutch? a lot of the pictures I have seen while searching online show a pool of oil in the area around the clutch.

Thanks again for all of the help!

Adam

Bricklayer51

Let us know how it turns out. I have a o 26 that does the same thing. Thanks

adam3654

The new gasket was installed behind the oil pump and I ran it without the bar on to see how the oil was flowing, oil was coming out of the slot at a good rate. I re-attached the bar and chain, and was still finding that the majority of the oil wasn't making it to the bar. I have re-verified that the hole on the bar lines up with the slot, and that is also free of dirt/debris. The oil just seems to be leaking out from between the oil slot on the chainsaw body and the metal plate that sandwiches between the engine and the bar, so I put a bit of blue RTV gasket material around the oiler slot and replaced the plate. The saw seems to be oiling properly, but I would like to fix the problem rather than throw a gooey blue band-aid on the saw. I am still stumped, but at least the saw is working for now.   

AdkStihl

028's are extremely messy oilers.
Bar oil in and around the clutch is normal. Would be abnormal if it was dry!
While your ordering parts, order a sprocket bearing too.

Is your inner bar plate damaged?
J.Miller Photography

adam3654

Quote from: AdkStihl on June 24, 2014, 09:31:21 PM
028's are extremely messy oilers.
Bar oil in and around the clutch is normal. Would be abnormal if it was dry!
While your ordering parts, order a sprocket bearing too.

Is your inner bar plate damaged?

Thanks for the info Adkstihl, the bar plate does not look damaged and it seems (by eye) to mate up to the engine body properly. Next chance I get to tear it back down, I think I'm going to run a straight edge across the oiler slot on the engine body to see if it has warped or bulged.

Thank You Sponsors!