iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dining table

Started by Bill Gaiche, June 04, 2014, 12:11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Gaiche

This is a dining table I made for my niece. 54"x60". It has a walnut stain and the wood is sycamore. Some flat sawn and some quarter sawn. bg

redprospector

That's a beautiful table.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

123maxbars

Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

Andy White

Bill,
Outstanding table. It looks to me like you don't need to go to the pool hall to do good things. How did you attach the top to the skirt? If you have not delivered the table yet, get some shots under the top. I have some Sycamore on the deck, and was wondering what to do with it. I like the scale of the top, almost square. Keep up the good work, and we'll talk later.     8) 8) 8)      Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

WDH

Quote from: redprospector on June 04, 2014, 12:17:56 AM
That's a beautiful table.

It certainly is.  I like the taper in the legs.  It would fun to eat at that table and examine the sycamore  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

Very nice Bill.  Did you use hanger bolts to attach the legs?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bill Gaiche

Andy, I used pocket hole screws.May not be the best for all projects, but they have worked good for me so far. I feel that they let the wood move a little to prevent any problems in the future.The sycamore works real nice as far as sawing and machining. Its soft like pine and I tell the people that get the table to take care and not drop something heavy on it or it will cause a dent or scratch. If they do then it has caricature. I didn't take any photo of the bottom, guess I should have.
MM, the legs are mortised with a board 45 degreed across the corner and a threaded lag bolt thru it into the leg with lock nut.
Thanks for the nice complements guys. bg

mesquite buckeye

Cool. ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Magicman

Quote from: Bill Gaiche on June 04, 2014, 09:25:22 AMMM, the legs are mortised with a board 45 degreed across the corner and a threaded lag bolt thru it into the leg with lock nut.
OK, the same principle as using hanger bolts.  I love using hanger bolts because the legs are so easily removed.  Hanger bolts
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The color contrast on the top is out of this world! Now that's COUNTRY!  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Mooseherder

Your Niece is gonna be proud of that table for a long time. :)

jamesamd

Looks like flowing water ;)
Sweet,Bill,Dang sweet 8)

Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

hackberry jake

There's knot one not!
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Bill Gaiche

Yes MM. Thats what I use. Only these legs are glued and will not come apart. bg

LaneC

That is a beautiful table. Excellent craftsmanship.
Man makes plans and God smiles

LaneC

Thanks magic man, I always wanted to know what those kind of bolts were called.
Man makes plans and God smiles

Lud

Real nice looking table. 8) 

I went back to the pic to look at the corners and how you "handled" them.  I don't favor having to sharp of a corner on stuff as it can bruise a person if they walk or fall into it.  Good job.
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

dablack

Very sharp.  I like a clean design. 
Building my own house in East TX

jargo432

What did you use for a finish?

The reason I'm asking is I've been wondering if different types of finish are better with each type of wood.
Jack of all trades.

Bill Gaiche

Nothing special. There surely is better finishes for certain kinds of wood based upon what your project is and where it will be used. If there is a certain project you are going to do, just ask on the FF and I am sure you will get some good ideas of how to finish it. Minn Wax-Walnut 224 stain. Cabots semi gloss poly to coat. bg

hackberry jake

I am a big fan of poly for interior projects. I usually start with an oil based coat like boiled linseed oil to bring out the grain and then I put on a few coats of poly. For things that won't see much wear I like tung oil.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

SwampDonkey

I like your table to, nice and strong looking and interesting grain. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

jargo432

I built a chest of drawers for my daughter and used poly for the finish.  (after the dark cherry stain)  I used the plans from Norm Abram and it was a great learning experience.  I've got another one I'm building for my son, but I've got it on hold while I improve my shop.  I've been wondering if there was anything better than Poly for pine.  So far It's holding up great, but I'm just wondering what It'll look like in 20 years.
Jack of all trades.

WDH

Poly is a type of varnish, and varnish has been used for hundreds of years. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

drobertson

Nice table bg! love the contrasting colors of the wood.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!