iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mockernut Hickory videos

Started by CCC4, June 03, 2014, 10:01:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CCC4

I have been told these hickory are called "Mockernut", maybe WDH might shed some light on the subject. This type of hickory has a big heart (Non-Typical of our Pig nut and Shag bark) and cuts as soft as gum (Non-Typical of any other hickory). This "Mockernut" timber only grows on hillsides along rivers. They are tall slick timber, the have large leaves just like Shag bark. IDK, I just think they are interesting trees. Thanks for viewing as always.  :)

p.s. Jeff I still can't seem to be able to "click" the share option for some reason. IDK

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAfT_Mas5os&list=UU_NjqCPS3PCA_PGz4NCZuLA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-8eCm1bDfU&list=UU_NjqCPS3PCA_PGz4NCZuLA

caveman

CCC4, Mockernut hickory, Carya tomentosa, generally have 7 to 9 leaflets per leaf and they are fuzzy (tomentose).  Pignut hickory generally has 5 to 7 leaflets per leaf and are smooth.  Most of the mockernut hickories that I have seen have galls on the leaves.  I have never cut one down and usually see them during one month during the summer when I take students to FFA forestry camp.  They do not grow where I live but we do have a few pignuts. 

I enjoy watching your tree felling videos.  On the second hickory, you seem to make a extraordinarily deep notch.  What is the reason for this?  You fall more trees in a day than I do in a year.  I learn a lot watching videos and reading topics on the forestry forum.
Thanks,
Caveman
Caveman

North River Energy

CCC4,
To 'Embed' (share) your video in the post:
Sign into your youtube acct.
Go to 'video manager'.
Find the clip you want to share, and select 'edit'.
Find 'video information' to the right side past the thumbnail views.
At the bottom of that section, you should see a line that reads 'video URL'. 
Copy and paste that URL to your posting, rather than the generic 'watch' link.

WDH

Caveman is on the money.  Mockernut almost always has 7 leaflets.  Pignut almost always has 5 leaflets.  The branches in mockernut are twice as stout as in pignut. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

KyLogger

I'mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkk!

We must've learned to cut timber in the same class! ;)
Wish I had a camera like that, I am on a really "fun" boundary right now!
I only work old iron because I secretly have a love affair with my service truck!

treeslayer2003

Quote from: KyLogger on June 04, 2014, 10:35:18 PM
I'mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaccccccccccckkkkkkkkkkkkkk!

We must've learned to cut timber in the same class! ;)
Wish I had a camera like that, I am on a really "fun" boundary right now!
good to have you back!
its a southern thing, i was tought to cut like that too. however i have learned alot of new ways last couple years.

Thank You Sponsors!