iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How do you respond?

Started by JohnM, June 03, 2014, 09:40:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohnM

This is the body of an email I received from my CL ad, "What are your prices and availability?"  Female writer.  My inclination is to ignore it, but that's bad business practices, no? ???
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

POSTON WIDEHEAD

spam_

Did she give you another email address other than the CL reply address?
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

JohnM

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on June 03, 2014, 09:43:48 PM
spam_

Did she give you another email address other than the CL reply address?
Nope. :(  But I've had others like that that were legit, but not nearly so vague.
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

Jeff

Bad business is to send someone an email that looks like spam. Ignore it.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

GDinMaine

You could answer the question with a question.  Ask if she could give you a few details about the size and number of the logs and where they are located.  That way you respond yet you don't commit to anything price and or time wise.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

beenthere

And in the process, "she", or whoever is phishing, gets your email.
And that is all that they are after..
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

yukon cornelius

It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

JohnM

Quote from: GDinMaine on June 03, 2014, 10:06:13 PM
You could answer the question with a question.  Ask if she could give you a few details about the size and number of the logs and where they are located.  That way you respond yet you don't commit to anything price and or time wise.
Quote from: beenthere on June 03, 2014, 10:09:29 PM
And in the process, "she", or whoever is phishing, gets your email.
And that is all that they are after..
I thought of both of those options and was wondering if there's a way to respond with another CL address?

JohnM

Quote from: Jeff on June 03, 2014, 09:58:33 PM
Bad business is to send someone an email that looks like spam.
True.

Joe Hillmann

If you are worried it is someone trying to get your email address for whatever reason you can always get a new email address from any number of free hosts online.

I would ask for more details.

GDinMaine

Last year I had a customer who asked me a short question like that via e-mail.  Afterward he only communicated via text messages. It turns out he is an ICU nurse and a medic on a helicopter that goes to all the worst accidents.  It was the only way he could communicate most of the time. I sawed the job.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

StimW

I can have up to 5 email addresses with my email provider. I would check out your options and respond.

I buy and sell a lot on CL and it amazes me how little info people will place in an ad trying to sell something. The ad is free and text size unlimited!
I always try to post as much info as I can when selling.
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

JohnM

Quote from: StimW on June 03, 2014, 10:22:53 PM
I can have up to 5 email addresses with my email provider. I would check out your options and respond.

I buy and sell a lot on CL and it amazes me how little info people will place in an ad trying to sell something. The ad is free and text size unlimited!
I always try to post as much info as I can when selling.
I agree, StimW, especially don't get the ones trying to sell something without a picture attached.  It's one thing if you're selling eggs and another if it's a Buick. :D  I should add though, this ad is for my sawmilling services and the address is a gmail account with my business name so I can't be changing that out every other day. :)

Brucer

I've had my share of these. My advice is the same as Jeff's advice.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

highleadtimber16

I get emails like this all the time. I take a minute and reply. Sometimes I sell some boards and make a couple bucks. Other times I don't hear back. It's poor business not to reply to an email or phone call. Just my thoughts.
2011 Wood-Mizer LT 40 hyd w/ 12' Extension,
EG 200 Wood-Mizer
Cutting Old Growth Cedar from Queen Charlotte Islands.

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: JohnM on June 03, 2014, 09:40:35 PM
"What are your prices and availability?"  Female writer. 
Did you post your prices and avalibillity in the add? Seems like a reasonable question to ask you.
As for the female part I have a fair number as customers so not sure why the concern about replying.
Can you explain more?
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

woodyone.john

I respond to vague request,or more specifically requests for specific info giving vague to incoherent information,by thanking them for their response and asking for their phone number so I can discuss all the variables.25% do not respond further,half the remainder i do business with. Its worth it to me to follow all leads
cheers john
Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

POSTON WIDEHEAD

When it comes to selling wood on CL....and you get a spam email about your wood......every spam email will usually have a word in it that says"spam". The word in your's was "AVAILABILITY".

Happens to me all the time.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

stumpy

Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

JohnM

Quote from: backwoods sawyer on June 04, 2014, 01:58:26 AM
Quote from: JohnM on June 03, 2014, 09:40:35 PM
"What are your prices and availability?"  Female writer. 
Did you post your prices and avalibillity in the add? Seems like a reasonable question to ask you.
As for the female part I have a fair number as customers so not sure why the concern about replying.
Can you explain more?
To answer your question, no, my prices and availability* are not in the ad.  And I agree they are very reasonable questions.  (*availability is a somewhat open ended and vague question ie. do I only work weekends?  Am I booked for the summer?  I agree with Poston, it's a red flag word, IMO.)  The only reason I included "Female writer" is purely stereo-typing. :-[  From my limited experience I've found there are few women looking to have logs sawn up and even fewer women that would ask such a short direct question without going into more detail.  Add all this with the CL response address (not a 'real' address) and it seems fishy at best.

I'm tempted to put in the ad, "Emails without a phone number or 'real'* email will not be returned" or something to that effect.  *real, legitimate...not sure what verbiage to use there... ???

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: JohnM on June 04, 2014, 10:14:56 AM
Quote from: backwoods sawyer on June 04, 2014, 01:58:26 AM
the CL response address (not a 'real' address) and it seems fishy at best.
That is a red flag.
I have been putting in my adds respond through CG.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

JohnM

Quote from: backwoods sawyer on June 04, 2014, 10:31:56 AM
I have been putting in my adds respond through CG.
Racking my brain but can't figure "CG" ???, help me out backwoods. :)

backwoods sawyer

CL ;D
Hadn't had my morning coffee

Magicman

I recently sawed for a single female.  Her email to me was really confusing, her "logs" were horrible, and I sawed them while she watched.  After realizing what she needed to get the lumber she wanted, I went back and sawed some very nice logs and produced the lumber that she wanted.

I'm just saying that she might have been asking if you were available and what are your sawing charges?

I do not do CL so I do not know spam about that.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

I too, have never dealt through that outlet. But will say spam is a worthy cause of concern these days.  It may be a good idea to just give a basic base price and availability, with a contact number, I see no other way to get it done through that avenue, never done it.  I do know folks that need stuff will contact if the option is available.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!