iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

JD 540B Cable Winch any diagram?

Started by jppa, June 03, 2014, 07:30:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jppa

Hi all,

I am researching for a friend to see if I can get any diagram for the cable winch on a 540B skidder.

There is oil leaking onto the brake, and he wants to take apart the winch to find the leak, but he wants to know what he is getting into before he takes it apart.  Any advice on where I could find information on this?  I have been searching on google for some time, and cannot find much information.

Is there a comparable diagram?  Is the winch made by another company or comparable to a winch from another company that I could print out a diagram of?

Sorry all, I am not too familiar with this topic, so I could use any advice on how I can get an idea of what's inside so I can help out a friend.

Thanks in advance for any tips, links, or information.

Alcranb

Jppa,
Welcome to the Forum. Sorry, I can't answer your question but I think if you reposted this question to the Forestry and Logging section you'll be have a better chance of getting some answers. Regardless you won't find a better wealth of information and more helpful bunch of folks anywhere else!
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did do.  So throw off the bowlines.  Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  (Mark Twain)

jppa

Thanks Al,

Is there any way I can move the thread without having to post a duplicate?  Or should I post there and delete this thread?  I likely cannot do either, and would hate to have two threads..

Thanks again!

jppa

Hi again,

Just so you know (in case anyone is looking for parts diagrams) this link has part diagrams:

http://jdpc.deere.com/jdpc/servlet/com.deere.u90490.partscatalog.view.servlets.HomePageServlet_Alt

Just type in 540b or whatever John Deere model you need.

Maine logger88

The swivel fitting inside the cover that goes to the clutch usually is the first thing to leak on those winches. It may or may not be your problem I usually replace mine every couple years
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

trecher2

I'm running the same 540 b, I'm having issues with it spooling out on heavy pulls, would or could this be my problem also. There are no leaks that I can see on mine and the winch is not low on gear lube. If I don't load it up it still works fine but I know that won't last, any ideas.

Maine logger88

If you have no leaks that would probably be because of your brake is either getting bad or out of adjustment. Those winches when right will hold a load way bigger than the machine should pull
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

tj240

the jd winch is pretty indestructable but if you are out of adjustment you will have holding probs, as far as a diagram they are pretty simple mainly a slave cylinder and brake band which can be a mfer to get just right the leak is probably the hyd line to the drum oe the one to the slave cyl. good luck any jd dealer should be able to find a diagram
work with my father[jwilly] and my son. we have a 240 tj 160 barko[old] works great three generations working together

GroundPounder

There is a seal on the caliper piston that opens an closes your band if it's bad oil will run down and drip from spring perch cheap simple fix hardest thing is adjusting the band after reassembly there ain't much to  if u get oil on your band and glaze it over you will be buying a new one and they ain't cheap

stamper

I had spool out problems under load, replaced the springs. worked great. All the other parts were ok, I didn't really notice the springs were stretched until I compared them with the old ones
If you don't run, you rust.
-Tom Petty

trecher2

Sounds like a good place to start, the springs could do it.

Thank You Sponsors!