iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

my project from last weekend

Started by yukon cornelius, June 02, 2014, 10:17:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yukon cornelius

our cabin project has been very slow project but it is coming along. we built about a third of this wall 36 feet long 36 inches high so far. it has to wrap around the corners. some rocks set by hand some set by my backhoe some of some are big some are BIG. a couple rocks were 14 inches thick and 6ft x 6ft. my old hoe had to scoot them into place, wouldn't liftem. we hand scooped all the gravel a shovel at a time. we were whipped pups by sunday night!

and one funny pic of dozer the dog with a butterfly on his toe  :D
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

sandhills

That looks nice and I bet you were whipped pups, I'm an animal guy and gotta say the whipped pup in the last picture is beautiful!  I think a deck would have been lighter though ;)!  Just kidding, that's going to be really nice.

yukon cornelius

if it weren't holding backfilled area for the footer it would have been a deck. back of the house (24 feet back) is 2 ft in the ground front is about 2 feet back fill. around 20 feet of the 24 is on a level flat solid rock shelf. these rocks are a small portion of what was removed to build the house. the house was intended to be back 10 feet further but I got to rocks my old beat up hoe wouldn't even shake. let alone scoot or pick up. we have one more course of rocks to go that is also the stone walking surface. then posts, mill rafters and install them, sheathing, shingles, and viola, instant porch.

dozer the dog is the supervisor.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

sandhills

One thing I can say after reading a lot on here is I don't have to worry about rocks, just blowing sand and cedar trees  :D.  That's gonna be a very nice porch, and to think people pay for rocks here!  Dozer is doing a good job too!

thecfarm

Not many flat ones around here. I've had a couple people ask me about flat rocks to build a stone wall.
That looks good. It's good you put the gravel behind it. That will help on the drainage part.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

Looking good!  building with rocks is hard work for sure, but it sure looks good when it's done,  nice job you have there,
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!