iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another stupid question

Started by sandhills, June 02, 2014, 02:26:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandhills

I fired my little JD lawn mower up for the first time this spring and had to shut it off in the middle of mowing to help the kids unload 4H horses, long story but it got dark and the next day wife went out to finish mowing, no battery.  I pushed it to the garage and put the battery charger on it and instantly had smoke, not a good sign but at least it lead me to the problem, my stupid question is what is a rectifier?  This thing is about a 1/4" thick and 1'' x 1" with a positive and ground wire going to it and a screw going through the center into the front of the engine (Kawasaki).  To my surprise the local JD dealership was able to look it up but of course had to order it.  I found the company name and part number on it but had no luck looking for it on the net, best I could figure it is some sort of resistor?  Just curious I guess as to it's function and I'm sure most here probably already know so just thought I'd ask.

Den Socling

It's a diode. It allows current to flow in one direction only. Four diodes make a bridge which converts AC to DC voltage.

pineywoods

It's a bridge rectifier. The alternator under the flywheel makes alternating crurrent or ac. Not good for batteries. The rectifier converts to direct current needed to charge the battery. You can find replacements in the parts bins at the local radio shack, probably $2 or so. The legs are marked +  -  and ac.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Den Socling

sandhills

Thanks guys I was just curious what it's purpose was, I can rebuild about anything but when it comes to electrical I'm one of those "you can't fix stupid" people, although I do make a really good ground  :D.  Piney, now that I've ordered it through JD I'm sure it will cost at least $40.00  ::), I could read everything on it yet, the positive negative signs, Stanley, and even the part number, went to the web site but couldn't find the part.

pineywoods

Ttechnically, Dan is correct, but there's a bit more to it. There's 4 diodes in that black plastic block. The hole through the middle needs to have a small bolt or screw to hold it to something metal. That serves as a heat sink to keep the block cool. You really need a thin layer of heat conductive grease between the diode block and the heat sink when you go to install the new one. These things come in different current ratings, bigger is better. Radio shack will usually stock them up to a 50 amp rating, more than enough for your purposes..
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

sandhills

Thank you again Den and Piney, it did have a screw through it (it was tight), just couldn't figure out why it fired right up after sitting all winter, ran for 20 minutes, got shut off overnight then had a bad short.  Never fails just gotta ask you folks, learn something everyday and usually it's here, should've asked here before ordering it through JD!

beenthere

sandhills
Do you have the part number?
Or the model number of the mower?

Is it this dude shown at this site?  If so, that is about double your $40

http://www.greenpartstore.com/John-Deere-Ignition-Module--AM131398_p_4597.html
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ianab

It's probably a module like these

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=john%20deere%20rectifier

$20  - $80 depending on the model.

As well as being a rectifier it probably has a regulator in there as well, so it not only converts the AC from the generator into DC, it also controls the charge going to the battery to stop it overcharging. So it will have a few more components in it than just a couple of diodes.

Now if you where stuck you could probably adapt a generic module, or even build something with electronic store parts. But if the genuine one is available for a sensible price, just get that.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

sandhills

No beenthere that's not it but with my luck the price will be the same  :-\.  The mower is a SX95, the part says on one end (opposite the side of positive and negative signs) "Stanley DE45" and on the side is 7908Y2, I tried looking up both numbers, couldn't get a match for either.  I basically was just wondering what this part did.  Thanks for the link, if that price and Piney are both right Greenline can keep their part, I'll go to Radio Shack  ;D.

Ianab

http://www.dowdatractor.com/OemParts#%2fJohn_Deere%2fSX75_RIDING_MOWER_%289_H.P._ELECTRIC_START%29_-PC2106%2fRX95_%26_SX95_FLYWHEEL%2cSCREEN_AND_ENGINE_ELECTRICAL_PARTS%3a_ENGINE%2f21060006%2f2106B130A1202000022

The part is 30A or 30B depending on the serial # of the mower. I suspect it's a regulator AND rectifier module ???

If you replace it with just a rectifier you will probably fry the battery.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

sandhills

Thanks Ianab it's 30a, I went to Stanleys web site and couldn't find anything but never thought of going to Deeres, what do you guys think fried it, or do they just go bad?  I've had the mower about 5 years and never had any electrical issues but the rest of it you can have, built VERY cheesy and VERY cheep!

Ianab

Quotewhat do you guys think fried it

Heat and vibration are the enemies of electronics. Bolt something to the side of an engine, and you have both. So yeah, they can just die.

Ian

VickiJo

My husband and I work together like this: He does the work, I do the research. Came upon this forum by chance, needing a StanleyDE45 part, #7417y2, unable to find ANYWHERE, and Googled upon this forum. The additional info provided was helpful explanation for hubby who was thinking may be more of a problem than just replacing the diode. Haven't gotten part yet, but know what we need to do thanks to this forum!

justallan1

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, VickiJo.
You'll find bunches of folks here plenty willing to help any way they can.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, VickiJo.  Both you and your hubby will find a vast amount of information here and also some fine folks, plus one ole grumpy guy.  Grumpy, but we love him too.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, VickiJo!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Roxie

Say when

slider

Ok magic man name that old grouch.If could be one of many.It might even be the boss.I can't wait spit it out.
al glenn

Magicman

The Official FF "Grouchy Ole Man" is self named.  :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Hilltop366

Quote from: sandhills on June 03, 2014, 01:56:47 AM
what do you guys think fried it, or do they just go bad?

Since it was the first time using the mower this season I am wondering if the battery may have been discharged enough to over load the regulator/rectifier.

It is best to fully charge the battery before first use and once or twice over the winter.

sandhills

Welcome to the forum VickiJo, I've yet to find a question asked here that more than a few members know a lot about and are more than willing to help with.  Stick around and get to know these folks!

Thank You Sponsors!