iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Info on how to mod stihl ms201t

Started by TommyTree, June 02, 2014, 11:37:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TommyTree

Im a British tree surgeon considering buying some 201's which are known as being underpowered so wanted to know if anyone has the info on exactly how to modify the 201 to get more power ? I have looked on youtube and there is only demo videos and i cannot find the exact info on the net or any arb forums. If anyone could help with the mod info, please let me know. Thanks.

nk14zp

Drain all fluids then throw under tire and run over them.
Belsaw 36/18 duplex mill.
Belsaw 802 edger.
http://belsawsawmills.freeforums.org/

JohnG28

I saw elsewhere that they have come up with a factory mod pack with a different coil and carb. I believe you get more fuel and advanced timing to speed up response.
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Andyshine77

The 201t is useless stock. Open up the exhaust, advance the timing 8° and tune the carb. After that the 201T will be around 20% stronger than a muffler modded 200T. With these simple mods, the 201 will gain 40% to 50%, so the update kit really isn't needed. However the newer updated 201t's only see about 20% gain with these mods, so yes the newer saws run much better. Nevertheless 20% is still a nice bump in power..
Andre.

Ivestertree

Quote from: Andyshine77 on June 03, 2014, 05:30:09 AM
The 201t is useless stock. Open up the exhaust, advance the timing 8° and tune the carb. After that the 201T will be around 20% stronger than a muffler modded 200T. With these simple mods, the 201 will gain 40% to 50%, so the update kit really isn't needed. However the newer updated 201t's only see about 20% gain with these mods, so yes the newer saws run much better. Nevertheless 20% is still a nice bump in power..

How do you advance the timing 8 degrees?
I have a 201T and would like to get the most out of it.
Ivester's Tree & Lawn, LLC
MS880 W/ 47"or 36" bar
MS660 W/ 36" bar
MS660 w/ 25" bar
MS 201t
2- MS290
2-MS170
HT131 pole Saw

sablatnic

And the exhaust mod? How to, please!

Ignition advance; is it enough to file recesses in a thicker flywheel key, and if, how much?

HolmenTree

Stihl has been offering for sale upgrade kits for the older MS201 saws for some time now , but models manufactured after approximately March 2014 have all the upgrades with timing advance etc.  included.
Only other mod you would have to do for these newer 201's is a good muffler mod with an extra exhaust outlet, or increase the diameter of the one it all ready has.
If you still need to look for more power, then you better improve your chain filing skills :D
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

sablatnic

It is not my filing skills, but the first 201s are for sale now, cheap, so I was thinking of buying one and improve it.

HolmenTree

Quote from: sablatnic on September 21, 2014, 06:04:13 PM
It is not my filing skills, but the first 201s are for sale now, cheap, so I was thinking of buying one and improve it.
sablatnic, I don't think filing a flywheel key thinner to advance the ignition as the common practice has been  a reliable way to improve a saws performance .
Here in North America I heard Stihl was selling the upgrade kits for around $150 U.S. In Australia I think it was about $50.

If I was to decide what to do I would just go out and buy the latest model from the dealer, new and improved right from the factory with full warranty.

Andyshine77

Shaving the key to advance the flywheel timing is common practice, and is an absolutely proven method and way to gain performance in some saw models. The 201T is one of these models.

To advance the timing properly, you'll have to be familiar with using a degree wheel.       
Andre.

HolmenTree

Quote from: Andyshine77 on September 22, 2014, 01:55:51 AM
Shaving the key to advance the flywheel timing is common practice, and is an absolutely proven method and way to gain performance in some saw models. The 201T is one of these models.

To advance the timing properly, you'll have to be familiar with using a degree wheel.     
I started shaving keys over 30 years ago on some of my racing saws, but never for my work saws I need to rely on to make a living with.
If I had to choose between a homemade  rig up or a factory Stihl upgrade kit or a new model with the upgrade already built in for my work saw..... I don't have to think very long.

Now for the GTG cookie cutters that's a different story :D

HolmenTree

The Stihl MS201T to the tree climber arborist is like the MS461 or 390XP to the timber faller. I don't think the MS201T or 200T is very poplar amongst the GTG cookie cutters. :D
I thought I'd give a little history lesson of sorts on the MS201T saga.
Not that many years ago while the prototype MS201's were out being field tested, there was a lot of hype on the internet chainsaw sites about this new saw that was going to replace the honored MS200.At the same time Husqvarna was developing the T540XP.

Well things didn't go well for Stihl in their 201's research and development. A few of these test prototype models were stolen on the U.S. eastern sea board and not long after almost every chainsaw site on the planet had posts of the prototype 201 sitting on weigh scales, then dissected for all to see. What a fracus that was.
I truly think these problems in the 201's development stage hurt Stihl to get a strong running product on the market. If they held back as long as Husqvarna did introducing the T540XP then I think the 201 would have been a different saw today.

Andyshine77

The factory update includes difference coils, that have an advanced curve to the ignition, so I  don't see advancing the timing as problematic. On top of that I know of quite a few 201's in the field with these mods and they are doing fine. Every saw builder including including myself, has been advancing the timing on work saws without any issues for many years. Now like I said not every. Saw needs the timing messed with, the 372's don't seem to benefit from it, same with the 346.
Andre.

HolmenTree

I agree with you Andre, the saws I run for work don't  benefit the timing advance. But my Yamaha 125 YZ hotsaw sure took the timing change nicely....right to the end of the adjustment of the stator plate :D
We haven't heard back from the OP of this thread yet but I was hoping he might look into the latest 201's or at least the Stihl 201 upgrade kit seeing it comes with the carb included.

I'm still sitting on my Husqvarna 338XPT,  and just waiting for a few more month runs of the T540XP to pass before I'd buy one. May pair it up with a 201 later on, hopfully by then it'll be a MS201T CM.

Andyshine77

So far the upgrade kits don't really seem to do much, with a simple MM and timing advance you'll see at least a 20% gain.
Andre.

JohnG28

Interesting what you say comparing the 201 to the 540xp HT. I hadn't given it much thought, but I have to imagine if Stihl had waited as long with the 201 that it would have been a much different and probably better saw. I also wonder if the 201 will be short lived with something completely new coming out before too long with a decent overhaul entailing more than just CM? Considering the leak with the 201 prototype maybe furthering that model became a dead idea? Just guessing but never know.  I haven't run a 201 or a 540 but the 540 sounds like the hands down way to go from all accounts I've heard. I do like my little 200t though, it's seen some good use before I even got it but it's a sweet little saw and runs like it's much bigger.  ;D
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Andyshine77

IMHO the 201t is a better saw than the 200t, it just takes a little work to really make it go. Just like most modern saws do.
Andre.

HolmenTree

Yes EPA has changed the standard on todays saws.
I remember the day back in 1985 of a visit to my home here in northern Manitoba by a Stihl salesmen named Steve Meriam.
Steve today BTW is Stihl Inc sales director recently promoted last year, prior he was former Stihl national sales and product research development manager since 2002.
Anyways Steve shows up at my house in 1985 with a Stihl 038 Magnum with a dual exhaust outlet muffler, something at the time I never seen before from the factory. Well after doing a few cuts I saw the  038 definitely did have  more grunt then my stock 038 Mag but there was one problem, the extra outlet was melting the chain brake lever. Steve chuckled and said "Well back to the drawing board!"

It wasn't until 1992 I saw another dual outlet muffler, which was on my newly purchased 066 Magnum. Better designed this time with the extra outlet in the middle of the  front cover. The 066 Mag needed to breath and make decent h.p. because the competition Husqvarna also just introduced that class of saw.... the 394XP.

EPA has changed the way our saws run today but the saw manufactures are doing OK. A stuffed up saw today can now put out good h.p. with the new Auto Tune and CM technology, all they need now is fuel injection which is presently being field tested.......the other modifications are left to the customer and the folks who are in the business to do that kind of work.

Al_Smith

Actually at one time a few of us did run trim saws at GTG's for timed cuts .A stock 200T if I recall correctly would make 2 cuts in 8 by 8's in around 15 seconds .Other saw models in the under 40 cc range was about 22 seconds .

Cut for Fun and myself could do it in around 11 seconds .He had the fastest stock 200T I had ever seen while mine was modified with a pop up piston,lowered cylinder and ran at over 15,600 RPM .It was fun to see what you could  make a tiny little trim saw do .

Al_Smith

Back to little saws .While the Stihl 200T is considered a great trim saw they aren't the only make or model that can be made to really scream .

A couple years ago the crowd from Cincy  had a couple of modified Poulan S-25's that would really get with the program .That model while not a true top handle in it's day was the premere arborists saw .

Brad S did tinker with a 201 and made some improvements but I never had the occasion to see it run .

Thank You Sponsors!