iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

lumber cost

Started by bigbuckhughes, June 02, 2014, 11:04:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigbuckhughes

Have bought 100 bd. ft. of hemlock at a 40 dollar price tag.  Good deal???

GAB

Quote from: bigbuckhughes on June 02, 2014, 11:04:25 AM
Have bought 100 bd. ft. of hemlock at a 40 dollar price tag.  Good deal???

If the hemlock has the shake you paid dearly for firewood.
Actually without seeing it it is hard to tell.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

bigbuckhughes

Don't know what the "shake" is.  Rough sawn boards 1" thick by 8' 6" long

Dave Shepard

Shake, or ring shake as it's usually called around here, is a separation of the rings in the log. In a board, it often just looks like a crack, but in the stump it is often all the way around an entire ring. Hemlock is known for getting ring shake. I've even been running into it in white pine this winter.

Personally, off of my bandmill, I couldn't sell lumber that cheap. It would probably cost almost that much to have me mill boards from your logs.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

bigbuckhughes

Thanks Mr. Shepard..  I told the guy that it sounded like I was getting a deal.  But wanted to make sure w/o upsetting any one locally.

WDH

You can't buy it for that at the lumberyard, either.  Sounds like that you make a good deal.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ron Wenrich

My locale is just a little bit more than that.  50 cents would be more the local rate.  Hemlock doesn't have much of a commercial market, so the timber value is usually on the lower end.  It does make good construction lumber.  As good as store bought.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

WDH

Western hemlock is a more commercial species. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Ron Wenrich

Eastern hemlock was at one time.  But, all the old forests have been cut out.  At one time, the bark was used for tannin, and was worth more than logs.  They paid guys to peel the bark on the woods.  Some places left the wood to rot.  Eventually they built rail lines into the forests to utilize the wood.  They had some mighty big mills here in PA.  One was over 200 MMbf per year.  Most went into framing wood.  I know my summerhouse has hemlock framing and that is late 1800s.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!