iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

processor build from scrap update

Started by cwjr, June 01, 2014, 09:49:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cwjr

Finally got the processor out of the shop after working on it this past winter.   Still have the saw portion to go and lots of little stuff.  I have been almost a year since I started the build.

WmFritz

Very nice! 8)
You've got a ton of work wrapped up in that machine. Look forward to seeing it run.
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Tiewire

DeerMeadowFarm

Very nice! Do you have a thread on here that covers your build from the start?

cwjr

If you click on the camera picture under my name, I have a whole bunch of pictures in my gallery from the build!  I wish I had taken some pictures of what the machines were that I used to rob the hydraulics and steel off of. 

North River Energy

Hefty.  Have to find the time to go through the gallery.
Looking forward to the videos.:)

What log length do you plan to process?
How do you have the 'depth stop' circuit configured?

dave_dj1

Looks mighty nice. Great job so far. Get her dunn! :)

cwjr

north river,
I think I may have overkilled it a bit,  the splitter chamber is 30" long, and the splitter cylinder is a 6" X 30 with a 4 inch rod.  we have a heatmor owb at 2 farms that I will be processing for. 

the log stop (depth) is T'd in with the clamp hoses, when you clamp down the stop retracts, and when you lift the clamp the stop extends. I have a pressure switch on the clamp down function so I could do clamp, stop retract, saw on, and saw feed, off one motion of the joystick. It must see that it is clamped to a certain pressure before the saw turns on or feeds down.  This is my theory anyways, I don't have it operating quite yet.

North River Energy

Do you have a part number, manuf. etc for the valve?   And/or a flow diagram to go with the theory?

(A positive stop is on the 'to do' list, and I'm compiling ideas).

What length log can you put on the deck itself?

Overkill on structure is good.  You want to plan for the occasional 'oops'.

thecfarm

My wife says I overkill building things too. May take longer to build,but quicker than repairing it after it breaks.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

cwjr

I have no additional valve required for the log stop cylinder,  the 2 hoses that come from my main valve block to the clamp cylinder  have T fittings in them and 2 hoses take off from the t fittings to the log stop cylinder.

The only potential problem with this design might be the need to raise the clamp fully in order to cause the log stop to be solid

The log deck is 13 feet long but the front is open with plates on slight angles on the front so it could guide any overhang into the trough,  I don't know exactly what length I will be able to get away with if I put the heavy end of the log towards the saw.  The reason I kept it a little on the short side is my garage parking situation, tried my best to keep the processor as compact as possible.

North River Energy

^
With a couple of simple inline flow controls to the clamp cylinder ports, you should be able to get full activation on the stop cylinder without requiring full range of travel on the clamp.

I'd like to synch mine to the infeed chain drive circuit, but that might get too involved.

cwjr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQRZuOq5ipY

It took about 2 years to build working on it occasionally.  About $5000 in parts and lots of used bits

landscraper

My hat is off to you!  Looks very stout, I'm sure it will serve you well.
Firewood is energy independence on a personal scale.

hedgerow

Nice build. Thanks for sharing the video.

treetech

Wow!!  Nice job!  Lots of planning went into that machine.  8)

Randy88

Very nice and thanks for sharing your build with us along with the video.     

Thank You Sponsors!