iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Jeff needs help on well question.

Started by Wildflower, June 01, 2014, 06:39:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wildflower

Jeff has been in the UP all week trying to hand drive a well. He was at 27 feet driving 1 1/4 pipe when his homemade driver broke. 2 length of  3/4 inch pipe each 2.5 feet long dropped to the bottom of his well. The 3/4 pipe is not hollow it is plugged off. Will water still come around it or should he just quit. He thinks the water is between 30 and 35 feet.
Co-owner of The Forestry Forum.

Gary_C

It may be possible to fish those pieces out of the larger pipe. One method would be to glue a strong magnet like a cow magnet into some 3/4 inch pvc pipe and try to lift those pieces out.

Or maybe to guide a wire down inside some pvc pipe and hook the pieces and pull them out.

It kind of depends on what the 3/4 pipe looks like, but the water could flow up thru and around the inside of the 1 1/4 pipe but long term it could cause rust in your water.
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Autocar

Guess I don't understand what you have I always thought that in the U.P. you drove a pointed pipe with a bunch of little holes drilled about a foot and a half from the point then screw another pipe on repeating this till you were in the water table. Then the water came though the holes and was drawn to the surface by your pump.
Bill

scsmith42

Quote from: Gary_C on June 01, 2014, 07:23:30 PM
It may be possible to fish those pieces out of the larger pipe. One method would be to glue a strong magnet like a cow magnet into some 3/4 inch pvc pipe and try to lift those pieces out.

Or maybe to guide a wire down inside some pvc pipe and hook the pieces and pull them out.

It kind of depends on what the 3/4 pipe looks like, but the water could flow up thru and around the inside of the 1 1/4 pipe but long term it could cause rust in your water.

He can also machine a gentle taper on the inside of a pvc pipe that would allow him to slip fit it over the end of the 3/4 pipe and snug.  OR, if he has power available he can cut a smooth end on some garden hose, slip it down to the pipe and hook the other end up to a shop vacuum.  The suction may be strong enough to keep the pipe sucked to the end of the hose, allowing him to pull it up.  He might have to install some type of soft rubber connection on the bottom of the garden hose to help ensure that the pipe snugs up to it.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Corley5

It needs to come out.  It'll restrict the flow of water if left in.  I'd try a magnet on a stick.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Wildflower

Jeff Got the 2 pieces of pipe out. 8) 8) 8)
He used pvc pipe and split about 3 inched length wise and taped 3 sections together and slipped it over the metal pipe and pulled it out. Thank you all for your help.
Co-owner of The Forestry Forum.

Gary_C

Yankee ingenuity prevails.   8) 8) 8)

No grits needed.  :D :D :D   (not what I typed but you get the idea anyway)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

isawlogs

Tammy , I'm happy to hear he got them out.  8)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

WDH

Smoked Sucker

:D :D :D :D

I had to try it myself.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Better than thecfarm brand grits.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mesquite buckeye

Can I just say G R I T S ??? ??? ??? ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :snowball: :snowball: :snowball:
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Texas Ranger

I kinda feel that way about smoked sucker.   steve_smiley steve_smiley
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

coxy

Quote from: Texas Ranger on June 01, 2014, 10:32:31 PM
I kinda feel that way about smoked sucker.   steve_smiley steve_smiley
Quote from: mesquite buckeye on June 01, 2014, 10:29:11 PM
Can I just say G R I T S ??? ??? ??? ;D ;D 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) :snowball: :snowball: :snowball:
:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Warbird

What I really want to know is if he got water or not?  :)

stumpy

I believe the furthest you can pump water with a shallow well pump is 24' He may want to check with a local well company about this.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

Magicman

I imagine that after he smoked sucked that sucker pipe out he took a much deserved break.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Mooseherder

Our shallow well pump is located by the house.  The run to the well head and check valve is around 80 feet.  The well is around 30 foot deep.  The check valve should allow for longer run if needed.

redprospector

Wow! You guy's are lucky. 200' deep would be considered a shallow well here.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

isawlogs

I have a surface well, spring comes out of ground, have three ciment tiles and a cover, one of the tiles is out of the ground.
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Jeff

Big day today. I finally got internet here at the cabin so I can keep in touch now while I work on our property, plus I THINK I HAVE WATER!

Know anyone else that drove a well using an lp gas tank and a TV antenna? :D

Here is a short video clip of my home made driver. The tank is filled with sand and weighs around 100 lbs.

http://youtu.be/ybUyk670_pk
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thecfarm

It worked. Was the tank full of sand,water??
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

clww

Quote from: redprospector on June 02, 2014, 11:34:59 AM
Wow! You guy's are lucky. 200' deep would be considered a shallow well here.
It would be about halfway there at our cabin in the mountains. :(

Glad it's working out for your there, Jeff. :)
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

chet

Ya must have some real nice soft ground.  :)  I don't think yer setup would punch through da sod at my camp.  :-\  I think my 40 is sittin' on one giant boulder.  :'(
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Thank You Sponsors!