iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Care Givers thread

Started by pineywoods, May 29, 2014, 09:32:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kiko

Thanks again ,  I have some good news this time.  I have questioned all my wife's doctors about the possibility of her being over medicated and got little response. So I have taken it upon myself to start weening her off some of the medications, with her approval I might add.  She is waking up!    She was being masked by the meds .  Common sense is not common.

Grizzly

Quote from: kiko on October 04, 2016, 11:08:17 PM
.... it will be constant for the rest of our lives.

Our load is nothing compared to what's being discussed in this thread, but I took note of that phrase. That is the part that we find most difficult. We have a son with mental and physical challenges that will make him a constant pal of mine for the remainder of my years and you keep hoping or thinking you see improvements only to have reality come crashing in that no, this will go on and on.....   Sure is good to see how connections can be made in a forestry focused forum for help of all kinds.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

pineywoods

Good news kiko, glad to hear it. Been there, done that, latest was a round with thyroid. Getting dosage right made a world of difference. The most difficult issues are the ones dealing with "quality of life". Successfully dealing with them is the most rewarding, don't expect a lot of help from medical sources, I have found the best results come from having an educated and caring caregiver. I started this thread hoping it would become an exchange of ideas and methods for addressing the quality of life issues. not just medical needs..

That said, I am/was very fortunate in getting the wife into rehab hospital that is among the best at dealing with physical issues, but also addresses lifestyle and quality of life issues. They demand that the caregiver attend training sessions tailored to the patient. That plus 17 years of experience has taught me a bit.  ;D....
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

thecfarm

sawguy21,Brenda had a total knee replacement. The EZ reach got some useage,so did the device on putting a sock on. She had her knee cap bridged up about 2 inches many years ago. There is an official name that I can just about pronouce. But with that,her thyroid problem and seem like one more thing has thrown a bad curve ball with the knee getting better. Just takes longer and she is behind on the degrees but right on with all the above things that is going on.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

drobertson

Been reading and praying, just got back from seeing dad, nursing home now.  Brother Steve has been a trooper, and still has both in laws at 93 years old in the house,  been around it through church functions and visitations with communion to the sick, but daily tasks for many of you folks  is note worthy and most honorable! Our prayers are with you.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Grizzly

Been thinking of my wife a lot and dug up this to read again. Some have young families to deal with but in most cases we're caring for a partner or parent in a later phase of life. When my mobility goes due to my back and I'm not able to move around the yard or even much around the house I've come to realize how great a load my wife has to take with me added on to the rest of the family cares. I don't like how hard it is for her but we certainly wouldn't want anyone else involved with my care. Just adding to the thought of making sure we care for the caregiver. I hate being a burden on others but sure appreciate a committed wife and family.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

pineywoods

Griz, good on ya to think that way. Take it from someone with 18 years of 24/7 caregiver experience. If you get disabled, believe me, you will put more pressure and angst on her than you could dream of. Caregiver responsibility can literally break a persons will to live. I'm fortunate to have had a lot of good help...
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390

sawguy21

My wife went into hospital two weeks ago, she had severely low blood sugar. We think she have got absent minded and took a double dose of insulin. She was then moved to hospice to give me some respite, I am pretty much worn out.
We are hoping she can come home Tuesday but that will depend on her condition. We are both very lonely but we have to live with that, there will soon come a point when she is in care full time. This is not what we signed on for but is the hand we have been dealt and must play. I fully empathize with those who are going through this, it is a hard road to travel.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

red

It is said that a Mother can take care of ten children.  But ten children can not take care of her .  When big storms like Katrina happen , for days people were told to leave . If it happens in a big city no one is prepared. If it happens in a rural community the shelters are open but no one comes.  They are prepared for some what if situations. Strength , knowledge and your life experiences will get you thru incredibly Tough Times.
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

red

My friend had an Autistic Boy that is ten years old.  The boy ran away yesterday , but he did come back. She is looking for any kind of cheap tracking device like maybe for his shoe or a watch ?

sawguy21

Karen was at the hospice for a couple of weeks to give me some respite, I was absolutely exhausted. She came home and seemed to be doing ok, we were out Thursday for an enjoyable day, but Friday she was having serious problems and taken back to hospital.
She has now lost any strength in her legs so will be going to hospice as soon as they find a bed. It has taken a lot of pressure off me, I simply can no longer take care of her, but the reality is sinking in. This is the final stage. She is alert and well aware of what is happening yet is quite calm. She is really looking forward to seeing her family this weekend for her birthday but I fear she may slip away quickly once they are gone, there will be nothing left for her to do.

Jeff

Quote from: red on August 09, 2017, 10:08:02 AM
My friend had an Autistic Boy that is ten years old.  The boy ran away yesterday , but he did come back. She is looking for any kind of cheap tracking device like maybe for his shoe or a watch ?

PM Magicman. He was just telling me about a gal he met that had a new product. Difference with hers is it can be attached directly to a metal object.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

WDH

Sawguy,

My heart goes out to you. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Shotgun

sawguy21,
Sending prayers for yours and Karen's comfort in the days ahead. We hope for the best for you both.

Norm
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Magicman

sawguy21, my Prayers are with both you and Karen as you face the difficult time ahead.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

sawguy21,I'm a long ways from ya,but I will be thinking of you both.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Bruno of NH

Sawguy21 thinking of you and your family
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

coxy

Sawguy21 sorry to hear what has happened

pineywoods

A caution for anyone using a power wheelchair...Most of them have a fold-up foot rest..Pretty common for users to ride with the foot rest folded up and let their feet slide along on the floor...NOT a good idea..Wife was rolling down the driveway at a pretty good clip, feet sliding on the pavement. Toe of a shoe caught on a crack and folded her foot back under the chair. Nothing broken, but stretched tendons and pulled muscles. The other foot is completely non-functional from a stroke...Result is a totally non-mobile person, transfer to/from wheelchair requires lifting and turning, definitely not good for my back. Had to stay right in the house and wait on her hand and foot for a week. Made a healthy backlog in milling/mowing/fixing. Power chairs are a blessing BUT one can hurt you...

LeeB

Sawguy21,

I don't know how to put it into words. I hope my thoughts are enough.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

red

Lots of Good information here for caregiving 

sawguy21

She slipped away a month after my last post, I still miss her but at least she is in a better place free of pain. I have a close friend who has shown signs of cancer, there is a history in her family, and I am uneasy. I care about her very much but am scared of going through that again.

thecfarm

sawguy21, I see that this happened a while ago. Still sad to hear.

pineywoods

Been a while since I have posted here. Had some additional duties and situations appear. The wheel chair / scooter project just keeps growing. Local people have started bringing me equipment that they no longer need for whatever reason. I have storage available and the know-how to repair, so why not. I have refurbished and given away 16 power chairs/scooters  in the last year. An un-expected resource has been the local veterans home. Whenever a resident leaves the facility, they usually leave whatever equipment they had in the maintenance shop. One of the men who works there brought me a truck load of various mobility devices, saying, we can't sell this stuff, if you can't use it, it goes to the landfill. Power chairs, manual wheelchairs, scooters, walkers, crutches, a hydraulic people lift, etc. I need a larger storage shed,  I have this  sawmill.......

GAB

Pineywoods:
From the sounds of it using your talents and capabilities, you made some peoples live more enjoyable.
Carry on.
Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

Thank You Sponsors!