iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Care Givers thread

Started by pineywoods, May 29, 2014, 09:32:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

Sorry for your loss, Jim.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Jim_Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Ron Scott

A sad time. You have our prayer and sympathy.
~Ron

Magicman

My condolences are with you and your family Jim.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

submarinesailor

Jim, I'm truly sorry to hear this.  My deepest condolences to you and your family.

Bruce

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Roxie

Say when

WDH

So difficult to lose your Mother, Jim.  You have my deepest sympathy. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

thecfarm

Sorry to hear no more Happy Tuesdays.  :(
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sawguy21

I am sorry to hear this Jim, you have my deepest sympathy.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Jim_Rogers

Thanks everyone. 

Jim Rogers

Jeff

Sorry to here about your loss Jim. I stopped by the topic because of what we are going through right now and found that your mom had past away.

A note about those sling wheel chairs Piney mentioned. He sure is dead on. The worst part of them here is the toll it is taking on those of us trying to push and pull them around in an environment that was never meant for wheel chairs. Lifting one up only a 5" step just a few times a day is taxing on the body to say the least. Pulling one 150 feet across a lawn so Tammy can be out to the barn as I work is a total workout. We have one more month of zero weight bearing on her foot and then hopefully we can get that thing out of here.

This experience has shown me some things in our home that I will be addressing over the next few years, because odds are, as time passes, one of us might be in this predicament again.  Putting a wider door in the bathroom is imperative. Because of the orientation of the door in a hallway, its a three point turn, a flagman and a compass to get in there with the chair.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Jim_Rogers

Thanks Jeff.

I might also suggest to add "grab bars" to walls in a position near the toilet to help a person "pull" themselves up.

I added some for my mother and it worked for her for many years. Our house is small and bathroom tinny so she had to pull herself up while I moved the wheelchair out. Then she would shift over a bit and grab another bar and I'd help her to lower herself down onto the toilet.

After she broke her arm, a year ago, I extended the grab bar by removing it from the wall, adding an block of wood to the spot and re-installing the grab bar. This made it a bit easier for her, and us.

Jim Rogers

PS. to make things narrower for us, the wheelchair company removed the hand rails from the wheels of the wheelchair. Then it would fit through the doorways easier.

thecfarm

Three foot doors I have in our house. Brenda has been in a wheelchair a few times. Also makes furniture moving easier too. No over the counter cupboards either. All draws under the counter. In her other house I got tired of coming home and finding pots and pans on the kitchen floor because she could not get them back in. Just slide a draw out and look into it to get what she needs.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

coxy

jim so sorry for your loss

sawguy21

The sliding drawers have been a big help for Karen too, she is not wheel chair bound yet but can't bend far enough to reach in the lower cupboards. Has Brenda tried an E-Z reach?

thecfarm

No EZ reach,yet. And yet is the key word. The drawers really helped out and we have a hanging rack for the frying pans.All she has to do is stand and reach. The getting down low is what she can not do.

kiko

Four years ago my wife had a massive stroke at the age of 37.  Just to get this out of the way, I will never give up on my wife and mother of my children.  However, the caregiving overwhelms me sometimes.  I have the attitude that if I push myself hard enough I can get through most anything. But there is no getting through this one,   it will be constant for the rest of our lives.  I feel like  I am being used up and tired.  I glad it is cooling off and some fishing and deer hunting will offer some R and R.

thecfarm

kiko,just never know what will happen in life.
As pineywoods,it's a full time job. And more.

Roxie

Kiko, my heart goes out to you. 
Say when

pineywoods

kiko, I know exactly how you feel. Been there for 17 years. Being a Full-time caregiver Will consume you if you let it. Over the years, some things that help have evolved. Number 1, you need to get away once in a while. Arrange for someone to sit in, and go to the barbershop, go fishing, anywhere for a change of surroundings. I have a housekeeper lady come in half a day once a week. I could do the houskeeping and did for years, but this kills 2 birds with one stone (old saying). I go visit family in the nursing home, or go visit with some of my grumpy old men friends. Two gadgets that have made a huge difference is a medical alert that calls my cell phone and one or more electric wheelchairs.. It helps a bunch to go one on one with someone who is in the same boat (nother old saying). That's why I started this thread...If you feel the need, holler and I'll pm my phone #
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

sawguy21

Quote from: kiko on October 04, 2016, 11:08:17 PM
Four years ago my wife had a massive stroke at the age of 37.  Just to get this out of the way, I will never give up on my wife and mother of my children.  However, the caregiving overwhelms me sometimes.  I have the attitude that if I push myself hard enough I can get through most anything. But there is no getting through this one,   it will be constant for the rest of our lives.  I feel like  I am being used up and tired.  I glad it is cooling off and some fishing and deer hunting will offer some R and R.
Amen brother. I too am doing the very best I can but it does get overwhelming. One thing I have to let go of is the guilt for leaving her alone even for a few hours, I have a fear she will fall and be unable to call for help. We are looking at Medic Alert.

kiko

Thanks for the support.   It feels good to be able to talk about it.  I am fortunate to have two employees that work at the house that allow me to work or whatever.  But it amounts to work at work and work at home.  She fell in the hall way tonight, thankfully no serious injurys. The financial aspect causes a lot of stress as well.  The brain injury part is the most difficult part to me. It is like I am by myself.  Like a single parent.   Sometimes i feel selfish for thinking about my little problems, she lost more than i did.  I may take you up on that phone number.

Roxie

You've got a rough row to hoe.  Please don't be hard on yourself for being human.  I'd just bet that our (beloved!) Pineywoods would get some comfort from that phone call too. 
Say when

pineywoods

1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Thank You Sponsors!