The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Forest Products Industry Insurance

Norwood Industries Inc.

Sawmill & Woodlot Magazine

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Woodshax Outdoor Vending Solutions

FARMA

Forestry Forum Tool Box

Author Topic: Care Givers thread  (Read 7092 times)

Offline Jim_Rogers

• Senior Member x2
  • Keep your chisels sharp.
    • jrsawmill.com
Re: Care Givers thread
« Reply #60 on: July 22, 2016, 07:14:32 am »
Thanks everyone. 

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Offline Jeff

• Lead Administrator and Founder
  • Administrator
  • Proverbs 13:20
    • THEE Forestry Forum
« Reply #61 on: July 22, 2016, 08:32:43 am »
Sorry to here about your loss Jim. I stopped by the topic because of what we are going through right now and found that your mom had past away.

A note about those sling wheel chairs Piney mentioned. He sure is dead on. The worst part of them here is the toll it is taking on those of us trying to push and pull them around in an environment that was never meant for wheel chairs. Lifting one up only a 5" step just a few times a day is taxing on the body to say the least. Pulling one 150 feet across a lawn so Tammy can be out to the barn as I work is a total workout. We have one more month of zero weight bearing on her foot and then hopefully we can get that thing out of here.

This experience has shown me some things in our home that I will be addressing over the next few years, because odds are, as time passes, one of us might be in this predicament again.  Putting a wider door in the bathroom is imperative. Because of the orientation of the door in a hallway, its a three point turn, a flagman and a compass to get in there with the chair.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Bottle Washer.

Offline Jim_Rogers

• Senior Member x2
  • Keep your chisels sharp.
    • jrsawmill.com
« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2016, 09:00:59 am »
Thanks Jeff.

I might also suggest to add "grab bars" to walls in a position near the toilet to help a person "pull" themselves up.

I added some for my mother and it worked for her for many years. Our house is small and bathroom tinny so she had to pull herself up while I moved the wheelchair out. Then she would shift over a bit and grab another bar and I'd help her to lower herself down onto the toilet.

After she broke her arm, a year ago, I extended the grab bar by removing it from the wall, adding an block of wood to the spot and re-installing the grab bar. This made it a bit easier for her, and us.

Jim Rogers

PS. to make things narrower for us, the wheelchair company removed the hand rails from the wheels of the wheelchair. Then it would fit through the doorways easier.

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
« Reply #63 on: July 23, 2016, 09:31:43 pm »
Three foot doors I have in our house. Brenda has been in a wheelchair a few times. Also makes furniture moving easier too. No over the counter cupboards either. All draws under the counter. In her other house I got tired of coming home and finding pots and pans on the kitchen floor because she could not get them back in. Just slide a draw out and look into it to get what she needs.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline coxy

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #64 on: July 23, 2016, 10:44:48 pm »
 jim so sorry for your loss

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2016, 03:54:52 pm »
The sliding drawers have been a big help for Karen too, she is not wheel chair bound yet but can't bend far enough to reach in the lower cupboards. Has Brenda tried an E-Z reach?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2016, 09:18:07 pm »
No EZ reach,yet. And yet is the key word. The drawers really helped out and we have a hanging rack for the frying pans.All she has to do is stand and reach. The getting down low is what she can not do.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Offline kiko

« Reply #67 on: October 04, 2016, 11:08:17 pm »
Four years ago my wife had a massive stroke at the age of 37.  Just to get this out of the way, I will never give up on my wife and mother of my children.  However, the caregiving overwhelms me sometimes.  I have the attitude that if I push myself hard enough I can get through most anything. But there is no getting through this one,   it will be constant for the rest of our lives.  I feel like  I am being used up and tired.  I glad it is cooling off and some fishing and deer hunting will offer some R and R.

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #68 on: October 05, 2016, 06:20:06 am »
kiko,just never know what will happen in life.
As pineywoods,it's a full time job. And more.

Offline Roxie

• Administrator
  • I'm your huckleberry
« Reply #69 on: October 05, 2016, 07:52:29 am »
Kiko, my heart goes out to you. 
Save a farm today or starve tomorrow.

Offline pineywoods

• Senior Member x2
  • Engineering analysis-just sittin thinkin about it
« Reply #70 on: October 05, 2016, 10:29:54 am »
kiko, I know exactly how you feel. Been there for 17 years. Being a Full-time caregiver Will consume you if you let it. Over the years, some things that help have evolved. Number 1, you need to get away once in a while. Arrange for someone to sit in, and go to the barbershop, go fishing, anywhere for a change of surroundings. I have a housekeeper lady come in half a day once a week. I could do the houskeeping and did for years, but this kills 2 birds with one stone (old saying). I go visit family in the nursing home, or go visit with some of my grumpy old men friends. Two gadgets that have made a huge difference is a medical alert that calls my cell phone and one or more electric wheelchairs.. It helps a bunch to go one on one with someone who is in the same boat (nother old saying). That's why I started this thread...If you feel the need, holler and I'll pm my phone #
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club

Offline sawguy21

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #71 on: October 05, 2016, 03:02:08 pm »
Four years ago my wife had a massive stroke at the age of 37.  Just to get this out of the way, I will never give up on my wife and mother of my children.  However, the caregiving overwhelms me sometimes.  I have the attitude that if I push myself hard enough I can get through most anything. But there is no getting through this one,   it will be constant for the rest of our lives.  I feel like  I am being used up and tired.  I glad it is cooling off and some fishing and deer hunting will offer some R and R.
Amen brother. I too am doing the very best I can but it does get overwhelming. One thing I have to let go of is the guilt for leaving her alone even for a few hours, I have a fear she will fall and be unable to call for help. We are looking at Medic Alert.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Offline kiko

« Reply #72 on: October 06, 2016, 11:52:16 pm »
Thanks for the support.   It feels good to be able to talk about it.  I am fortunate to have two employees that work at the house that allow me to work or whatever.  But it amounts to work at work and work at home.  She fell in the hall way tonight, thankfully no serious injurys. The financial aspect causes a lot of stress as well.  The brain injury part is the most difficult part to me. It is like I am by myself.  Like a single parent.   Sometimes i feel selfish for thinking about my little problems, she lost more than i did.  I may take you up on that phone number.

Offline Roxie

• Administrator
  • I'm your huckleberry
« Reply #73 on: October 07, 2016, 09:31:21 am »
You've got a rough row to hoe.  Please don't be hard on yourself for being human.  I'd just bet that our (beloved!) Pineywoods would get some comfort from that phone call too. 
Save a farm today or starve tomorrow.

Offline pineywoods

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #74 on: October 07, 2016, 12:28:46 pm »
kiko,,pm sent
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club

Offline kiko

« Reply #75 on: November 18, 2016, 10:26:47 pm »
Thanks again ,  I have some good news this time.  I have questioned all my wife's doctors about the possibility of her being over medicated and got little response. So I have taken it upon myself to start weening her off some of the medications, with her approval I might add.  She is waking up!    She was being masked by the meds .  Common sense is not common.

Offline Grizzly

• I wanna go camping!
« Reply #76 on: November 19, 2016, 10:17:12 am »
.... it will be constant for the rest of our lives.

Our load is nothing compared to what's being discussed in this thread, but I took note of that phrase. That is the part that we find most difficult. We have a son with mental and physical challenges that will make him a constant pal of mine for the remainder of my years and you keep hoping or thinking you see improvements only to have reality come crashing in that no, this will go on and on.....   Sure is good to see how connections can be made in a forestry focused forum for help of all kinds.
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws
   2149 - 111S - 90?
Cooks Cat Claw & Dual tooth setter
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

Offline pineywoods

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #77 on: November 19, 2016, 11:00:38 am »
Good news kiko, glad to hear it. Been there, done that, latest was a round with thyroid. Getting dosage right made a world of difference. The most difficult issues are the ones dealing with "quality of life". Successfully dealing with them is the most rewarding, don't expect a lot of help from medical sources, I have found the best results come from having an educated and caring caregiver. I started this thread hoping it would become an exchange of ideas and methods for addressing the quality of life issues. not just medical needs..

That said, I am/was very fortunate in getting the wife into rehab hospital that is among the best at dealing with physical issues, but also addresses lifestyle and quality of life issues. They demand that the caregiver attend training sessions tailored to the patient. That plus 17 years of experience has taught me a bit.  ;D....
100k bd ft club

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #78 on: November 20, 2016, 07:40:12 pm »
sawguy21,Brenda had a total knee replacement. The EZ reach got some useage,so did the device on putting a sock on. She had her knee cap bridged up about 2 inches many years ago. There is an official name that I can just about pronouce. But with that,her thyroid problem and seem like one more thing has thrown a bad curve ball with the knee getting better. Just takes longer and she is behind on the degrees but right on with all the above things that is going on.

Offline drobertson

• Senior Member x2
« Reply #79 on: November 27, 2016, 04:13:29 pm »
Been reading and praying, just got back from seeing dad, nursing home now.  Brother Steve has been a trooper, and still has both in laws at 93 years old in the house,  been around it through church functions and visitations with communion to the sick, but daily tasks for many of you folks  is note worthy and most honorable! Our prayers are with you.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,