iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

One Person's Trash!!

Started by Martha White Nelson, May 29, 2014, 04:22:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martha White Nelson

Driving down the road the other day, I was looking at the sides at all the stuff people put out for trash pick-up, or just leave laying around to rot or for the ants to make a nest in.  I spied several pieces of wood, cut into rings just at the edge of a driveway.  I stopped and went to knock on the door, and asked the lady if I could have 2 of them.  She said yes.  The rings were cut from hollow oak trees.  I really wanted them, but what was I going to do with them??  After a while, I decided to make some planters with them, and here is the end results.

Martha

yukon cornelius

fantastic idea! that is brilliant!! I like working with hollow logs! just looking at something and seeing what it can be is fun.
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

m wood

Very very nice!  I work in the trash and recycling business, so I know exactly what you mean.  From my 2 beautiful ceiling fans...to my new/used battery charger. All of my snow fence and all my 'mater cages.  The wife and I LOVE to repurpose good old stuff too.  You planters are absolutely beautiful
mark
I am Mark
80 acre woodlot lots of hard and soft
modified nissan 4x4/welding rig
4x4 dodge plow truck
cat 931b track loader
Norwood mark IV
4' peavy
6' peavy
stihl 034
"her" wildthing limber saw
ALL the rustic furniture  woodworking stuff
check out FB

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Now ain't you something Martha! Good idea.......I won't forget it.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on May 29, 2014, 06:05:04 PM
Now ain't you something Martha! Good idea.......I won't forget it.  ;D

Of course, Poston will only charge $300 for one!!!

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

gfadvm

I sawed a bunch of hollow 'cookies' like yours per my wife's request and every one cracked into multiple pieces within a week. Mine were cut from a standing dead blackjack. How did you keep yours from cracking/falling apart?

Bill Gaiche

thecfarm

You make POSTON proud. Good job.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Martha White Nelson

Thanks for the compliments, guys!!   These planters were so easy to make, just a little heavy to hang.  They were on the ground for about a month, and the lady still hadn't done anything with them when I asked her for 2 of them.  They are about 8 inches thick, all the bark is still on, and so far, they haven't began to crack.  They have been hanging for 2 weeks now.  Hopefully they won't crack, but if they fall to pieces tomorrow,  I had fun making them anyway!
Martha

Magicman

Very nice Martha.  You have an eye for design so I see where Andy got his talent from.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

blackfoot griz

Quote from: PC-Urban-Sawyer on May 29, 2014, 06:24:35 PM
Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on May 29, 2014, 06:05:04 PM
Now ain't you something Martha! Good idea…….I won't forget it.  ;D

Of course, Poston will only charge $300 for one!!!

Poston needs the $300 for a downpayment on his new Tahoe!

Martha, How much do they weigh?

Martha White Nelson

Thanks, Lynn!!  Andy and I have lots of ideas for projects, but he is the one with the talent and the "git 'er done" attitude!  I tend to be a "put 'er off 'er, since I'm older and slower!   :D
I'd have a headache if I had all the ideas he has in his head!!  It's full with "what can I make next!!!     smiley_idea
Griz,  I would say that they weigh anywhere from 50 to 60 pounds each.  They were heavy!!  :-[
Poston, I hope you get enough $300.00s for that Tahoe!   8)
Martha

Bill Gaiche

Martha, be careful, Andy will have so many lumber projects stacked up that you will have to hire a helper. Any way my thoughts on that are if I am busy doing wood projects, then it keeps me out of the beer joints and pool halls. bg

Magicman

Quote from: Bill Gaiche on June 03, 2014, 09:34:47 AM.....if I am busy doing wood projects, then it keeps me out of the beer joints and pool halls. bg 
Oh no, now you have gone and let the secret out.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bill Gaiche

Sorry MM, you have to come out of the closet sometime. bg

Thank You Sponsors!