iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Portable Mill Business Insurance

Started by Horsewood, July 04, 2004, 01:43:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Horsewood

Hey everyone,
I'm here in Virginia and am needing to get some business/liability insurance for my new portable mill business.
Is there anything in particular that I should be looking for in an insurance company?  
Also, if anyone could make a recommendation (maby tell me who insures you) that would be most helpful.
I've got a couple of jobs that I'm not going to start until I can get properly insured. ::)

Thanks for any info you can provide!

Happy Independance Day and may God continue to bless America!

Horsewood

Stephen

I have used http://www.woodchuck.ca for 10 years now. Not sure if it is available in the US, but may be worth looking into. It is getting expensive, close to $900/yr (can), of course that would only be about $9 (us)  ::)
I think this subject has been discussed before on this forum, let us all know where you find the best coverage.

Stephen
1994 WoodMizer LT40G18. 69 acres mixed wood. 1952 ford tractor, Norse 290 winch, studed Norse ice chains. 45-66DT Fiat.

woodhaven

Hey Horsewood,
I must be just down the road from you. I am west of Suffolk close to Windsor. What kind of setup you got?
Richard

oakiemac

I haven't found any liability insurance for less than a kings ransome. I use BG Balmar for property/damage insurance. It seems like as soon as you say the word sawmill every insurance company freaks out and says it is the most dangerous buisness in the world then they want several thousand a year for premiums. >:(
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Horsewood

Stephen,
Thanks for the link to woodchuck... I'll give 'em a try (hopefully they'll charge me in CA dollars!!!) :D

Hey neighbor (Woodhaven), you're right... you're just a couple of stones throws away!
I'm runnin' a '98 WM LT40 SH that's stored on the side of my home right now.  My partner and I just got started and one of the main assets we're lookin' for right now (besides the insurance) is an acre or two or land.  I hear the city extension office may have listings of farmers/land owners who will lease land pretty cheap.  You know anything about that? ???

Oakiemac,
I appreciate the tip on BG Balmer.  Unfortunately they don't operate in VA (they were very sorry abou that... sounded like nice people to deal with).  Hopefully the premiums stay low enough to keep you on the 'green' side of you balance sheet at the end of many days to come!

Thanks all, for your time!
Respectfully,
Norm Concha
'Horsewood'

ARKANSAWYER

Here in Arkansas if you are pulling a trailer/boat/camper ect. with your truck the vehicle insurance covers it, UNLESS it is a commercial operation then NOPE NO DEAL!  :o  So I had to get insurance from NEW YORK to cover my mill so if some fool with no insurance  hit me, I crashed or GOD decides to take Wanda home. ::)  There was no insurance I could find that would cover a sawmill operation unless it was at a fixed location and then there was not enough coin in my purse to cover that.  So you get a lawyer and drop about a grand and become a corp.  Then if they sue you they own a mill and will become very sorry.  I have a contract that I have everyone I saw for sign.  It states that they are responsible for them and theirs and I am for me and mine.
  I think this insurance deal is just a way for them to keep a poor white boy down.
ARKANSAWYER  
ARKANSAWYER

J_T

Arkey I thank you got it right  :D :D
Jim Holloway

Thank You Sponsors!