iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna 235 E with low power.

Started by Joe Hillmann, May 29, 2014, 11:02:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Hillmann

A while back I was given a Husquvarna 325 E chainsaw because it lacked power and the guy who gave it to me bought a new one.

Up until now I have only used it for cutting small branches but recently started using it to trim large knots off of logs before rolling them onto the mill and its low power became obvious very quickly.

It starts in a couple pulls every time.  Once it is warmed up it won't stay idling for more than a few seconds.  I can keep it running by staying on the throttle a little bit.  When cutting it starts to bog down if I get into anything larger than 4 to 6 inches in diameter.

I know very little about two cycle engines but I am thinking a new piston, ring and head would get the compression back up and make it a good saw again.  I can find the parts for $66, the website says they are authentic husqvarna parts but at that price I doubt it.  Here is the website.  http://www.ereplacementparts.com/kit-cylinder-piston-p-621951.html

What do you guys think,  would this get the saw running better or does the saw sound like it has other problems as well?

celliott

Do a compression check and take the muffler off to look at the exhaust side of the piston before you buy any parts.

Also, try taking the spark arrestor screen  out of the muffler and run it like that. It could be plugged up with carbon. Can't get exhaust out, won't run very well.

Actually that's what I'd try first, removing the spark screen.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

Joe Hillmann

I have already pulled the screen out of the muffler and cleaned it(it was pretty clean to begin with) and put it back in and ran the saw. It didn't make a noticeable difference. 

I don't plan to order any parts until I take it apart to see what, if anything, it needs. 

I no longer have a compression tester,  Is that something I could have done at a small engine shop?  What would be considered acceptable pressure?

celliott

OK so you pulled the screen already.
Take the muffler off and check out how the piston looks through the exhaust port.
Compression test with no tools- Hold the starter handle, and let the saw hang. It should hang there, or slowly drop down the rope. If it drops quick, low compression. You can also take the plug out, hold your finger over the hole, and if it doesn't push your finger off, compression is low.
If you wanted a number, 130psi is probably a bit too low.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

CTYank

Some experts say to first thing, toss the plug in favor of a known-good. That implies NGK.

No mention yet about adjusting carb or replacing fuel filter. Often times a speck of debris will lodge in a fuel-metering restriction, such that just wiggling an adjustment (no net change) will do the job.

Tried yet to see if fuel tank is being vented? That's a candidate, too.

No big deal to go through a complete carb adjustment. Slightly bigger deal to get a carb kit and completely clean the carb's innards.

While you're up, completely check the fuel lines.

All this is MUCH cheaper than replacing p&c. Small 2-strokes need ~100 psi compression to start.
'72 blue Homelite 150
Echo 315, SRM-200DA
Poulan 2400, PP5020, PP4218
RedMax GZ4000, "Mac" 35 cc, Dolmar PS-6100
Husqy 576XP-AT
Tanaka 260 PF Polesaw, TBC-270PFD, ECS-3351B
Mix of mauls
Morso 7110

Thank You Sponsors!