iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New WM Diesel engine Bearing Support Kit

Started by barbender, May 28, 2014, 08:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

I was just reading the new WM Way magazine, and I saw this Bearing Support Kit. It is offered as a retrofit for Yanmar and Cat engines. The picture looked to be on an LT70, but it looks like a bearing that supports the end of the drive pulley to alleviate the broken crankshaft problems. Thats my guess anyhow, I know when I tension my drive belt to spec it still sounds like it is slipping a bit in wide cuts. I don't dare overtension for fear of putting too much of a side load on the pulley and busting my crank >:(  My engine is just a 40 h.p. so I would imagine this adjustment becomes more finicky with the higher horse engines. I look forward to seeing how this is attached to the engine.
Too many irons in the fire

Peter Drouin

I saw that , and I think I;ll get one, but it;s a lot of $
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

barbender

It is a lot of coin, but much cheaper than a busted crank :o It would be nice to be able to up the belt tension a bit without risk of ill effect as well. It must bolt to the front of the engine somehow, kind of like a bell housing?

Dave Shepard

I saw that as well, and it's on my wish list. It's says in Wood-Mizer Way that all new diesels come with it, but I notice Tule Peak's new LT70 did not. I'm guessing that there is probably a new longer stub shaft that the sheave goes on, plus the flange bearing and the bracket. That's not really too bad for the money.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

barbender

I was just out looking at my Lombardini, it looks like I could bolt something on it if it was available. Or I could fab something if I am understanding the concept correctly. However, changing a belt will be much more of a pain, it would seem.

MartyParsons

Hello,
I was also not looking forward to the first experience with this. The belt change is not as difficult as it may seem. I have installed these kits and changed a belt on a mill with low hours. There are a few set screws that may get tight with out some never seize.
Hope this helps.

Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Nomad

Sounds to me like it's on my wish list.  I'm not a big fan of most insurance.  But this kind is different. ;D
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Peter Drouin

Mine is on the way, 6 to 10 weeks out  :o :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

drobertson

I just hope it is not that necessary, it almost sounds like another possible design blunder.  If it is a recall then it should be without cost, if it is something else, just say so,   
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Dave Shepard

I'd be willing to do some long term testing for the factory. If they send me one, I'll go out every morning with a clipboard and check the little box that says it's still there and hasn't fallen off. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

barbender

The design issue is that it is hard to transmit 60 HP to a belt axially without putting too much side load on the pulley. I don't what means other manufacturers are using to transmit power to the band, I'm going to have to look around a bit.
    I'm glad to hear you have some experience with these, Marty. I was hoping  you'd chime in ;)

beenthere

Quote, it almost sounds like another possible design blunder.
::) ::)

Sounds like an improvement, IMO. Another example of a company making their equipment better.  Maybe like offering hydraulics where before it was manual.
In this case, allows tightening the belt without putting extra stress on a main bearing.
Of course, can let the belt stay some loose and not transfer all the engine power to the saw blade. At least as I sees it.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Nomad

Quote from: beenthere on May 29, 2014, 09:31:44 PM
Quote, it almost sounds like another possible design blunder.
::) ::)

Sounds like an improvement, IMO. Another example of a company making their equipment better.  Maybe like offering hydraulics where before it was manual.
In this case, allows tightening the belt without putting extra stress on a main bearing.
Of course, can let the belt stay some loose and not transfer all the engine power to the saw blade. At least as I sees it.
My take too.  Otherwise, we'd have all been driving 2035 Corvettes in 2001.  You live and you learn.  Fixing issues isn't free; you can't expect the manufacturer to eat every possible maybe problem.
Buying a hammer doesn't make you a carpenter
WoodMizer LT50HDD51-WR
Lucas DSM23-19

Peter Drouin

WM told me with too much side pull the oil seal will start to leak. Mine is dry. The hole thing bolts to the back of the cat. I have a belt gage and use it a few times. But after doing it with the gage I can tell when the belt is right.
So for 350.00 I think it will be cheaper than a new crank for the cat.
I use my WM to make a living, Full time, or try too  :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Bandmill Bandit

IMNSHO!

And my opinion comes from building more than a few stationary pumping units, gensets & grain mills.

ALL engines, including high HP electric, should have a non conductive flex plate/coupler appropriate to the HP bolted to a crank flange or flywheel with an extension shaft that the drive pulley is mounted to, with a bearing on each side of that pulley. This method solves so many problems not the least of which is harmonic vibration transfer and the static build up that can and does occur to the detriment  of most machines. It is my opinion but experience has taught me that this method saves money and increases the life of the machine. Can be a pain to repair when they need it but well worth it.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

thechknhwk

Glad I didn't order that LT70 WIDE yet ;D

drobertson

After reviewing this I also agree this is an improvement, and know all to well better ideas come from time and experience.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

ladylake

These industrial engines should come with big enough bearings to handle what ever side load thrown at them, really nob the  fault of WM or any sawmill company.   Another thing that would help is bigger pulleys that wouldn't need as much tension to keep the belt from slipping.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

pineywoods

This is a nice solution to a problem that comes from adapting a piece of equipment to a job for which it was not designed. Kudos to WM for coming up with a nice fix at reasonable cost. About the only alternative would be going to a forged crankshaft to replace the cast original. Many $$$$$$.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Dave Shepard

In almost all power unit applications that I have seen, either a clutch unit or a direct drive sheave unit has been bolted to the back that can handle the side loading of the belts. Only in small gasoline engines is it common to run belts right off the crankshaft. I would not expect an engine to be designed to take side loading, that should be dealt with externally, like Bandmill Bandit mentions.

drobertson

I went over the mill this morning, and have to believe now this for sure is an improvement.  My only concern from the get go was, have there been failures, I never heard of any.   I have believed that if design flaws are in play then recalls might be in order.  It just sounds like a crank shaft failure is one that rates up there with design flaw.  This said, I will be making plans to modify my mill, no need in that headache.

Dave Shepard

There have been failures. I saw a lot of ads for mills with "900 hours, 10 hours on new CAT engine".

slider

al glenn

barbender

There is a picture of one on an LT70 (I think) in the new WM Way, that's the only picture I've seen. I've heard of more than a few crankshaft failures, it seems more prevalent in the Cat engines. The Cataperks have more fatal issues than the crankshaft issue, so not all of the low hour Cat replacements are due to cranks. I was just reading a post about a broken crank in a Lombardini diesel too. It seems it isn't a bearing problem , but the cranks actually breaking.

Bandmill Bandit

On those Cat engines it is so simple cause the "bell housing" is basically there and an electric over   Hydraulic  clutch would be so simple. Belt tension issues and belt replacement would be drastically reduced too.

Cat builds a clutch assembly with output shaft that bolts straight up to those units. Way over kill for the mill but would eliminate 99% of the current belt issues and simplify the engine mount build for wood mizer. No more moving engine plate!

Barbender we call em Perk -a- Pillars up here and most like em. They have their minor issues but not a bad engine.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Thank You Sponsors!