iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

an unwanted visitor today

Started by tule peak timber, May 28, 2014, 08:25:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

Rattlesnake musk makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Roxie

Quote from: pineywoods on May 30, 2014, 09:29:41 PM
Best not to take snake bites too litely, even if they are non-poisonous. They don't brush their teeth very often, easy to get some nasty infections.  ::)

Many years ago I was weeding the yard by the driveway.  I was wearing gloves, and as I yanked weeds, I'd just throw them in the wheelbarrow.  At one point I felt what I thought was an insect bite my arm above the cuff of my glove.  I brushed it off and kept on working.  The next day at work, my boss was standing by my desk and asked how I got the snake bite.  I said, "is that what it is?"  It was two parallel lines and under the florescent lights, you could see red streaks running up my arm.  Made a trip to the doctor for antibiotics and to this day, I have no idea what kind of snake bit me. 
Say when

thecfarm

Red streaks going up the arm is not good.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

Getting snake bit is not good.  That would make for a bad day.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

sandhills

My wife loves cats and always had an indoor one until she got bit by one and ended up in the hospital for 3 days getting iv antibiotics, now she's extremely allergic to them, not much different from a snake bite I don't suppose.    She doesn't like any snake unless it's a dead one though, but I let the good ones hang around, our tom cat is worthless  ;).

OneWithWood

Quote from: fat olde elf on May 30, 2014, 11:03:12 PM
Is Jeff checking this thread ?
Was wondering the same thing. 
Jeff is up in the UP setting up to get internet service at his new place I think.  It would be terrible (or terribly funny) if the first thing he saw after logging on was yet another post about snakes!  :D :D :D ;)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

tule peak timber

Just shot another unwanted visitor 10 minutes ago next to my house. My wife is not happy..........

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Corley5

No state or federal protection on snakes  ???
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Dave Shepard

Every time I think it might be nice to go visit other parts of the country, a thread like this one pops up.  :D There are rattle snakes around, but I don't think they stray to far from their mountain hideaway. I have seen black snakes here, but not for about 30 years. Occasionally a garter snake. A friend of mine was working on a hydro site over in NY in the winter when the water was up. He and his helper were down on the lowest level cleaning out the plunge pool when they saw either a water moccasin, or a copperhead, I don't remember, on the other side of the plunge pool. It was about 20 feet across, and the water was really moving. His helper threw a brick at it and it swam across the plunge pool like it was a dry parking lot. :o Helper didn't throw anymore more bricks. :D They left for the day, and the next morning found it hiding on the ladder going down into the plunge pool. His plan might have been well thought out, except for the part where he lost his head due to a shovel injury.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

reswire

Quote from: Roxie on May 31, 2014, 08:24:31 AM
Quote from: pineywoods on May 30, 2014, 09:29:41 PM
Best not to take snake bites too litely, even if they are non-poisonous. They don't brush their teeth very often, easy to get some nasty infections.  ::)

Many years ago I was weeding the yard by the driveway.  I was wearing gloves, and as I yanked weeds, I'd just throw them in the wheelbarrow.  At one point I felt what I thought was an insect bite my arm above the cuff of my glove.  I brushed it off and kept on working.  The next day at work, my boss was standing by my desk and asked how I got the snake bite.  I said, "is that what it is?"  It was two parallel lines and under the florescent lights, you could see red streaks running up my arm.  Made a trip to the doctor for antibiotics and to this day, I have no idea what kind of snake bit me.
Non poisonous snakes can carry bacteria in their bites, and of course are not the cleanest animals on the planet.  I believe you can get bacterial infections from their bite which if unchecked can be very serious.  Maybe an updated tetinous shot is not such a bad idea.  (sorry I can't spell tetinous correctly.  ;D ;D
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

BaldBob

Quote from: sandhills on May 31, 2014, 01:43:58 PM
My wife loves cats and always had an indoor one until she got bit by one and ended up in the hospital for 3 days getting iv antibiotics, now she's extremely allergic to them, not much different from a snake bite I don't suppose.    She doesn't like any snake unless it's a dead one though, but I let the good ones hang around, our tom cat is worthless  ;).
A friend of mine almost lost his hand due to a reaction to a cat bite. The hospital staff told him that so far that year they had treated 4 rattlesnake bites and three cat bites, and that the cat bites were all more serious and damaging than the rattlesnake bites.

jargo432

Took care of my first copperhead tonight.  Hope there won't be many more.
Jack of all trades.

tule peak timber

another one at the shop entrance step first thing this morning. Thank goodness I was watching where I put my feet ! Situational awareness is what they taught us in the Army.....     

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

goose63

By now that snake is DEAD I hope
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

Thank You Sponsors!