iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Started sawing

Started by Bruno of NH, May 28, 2014, 06:56:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

Got 20 hemlock logs today from the big hardwood mill down the road .
5 trips with my old dump trailer quite a load .
Started sawing framing lumber for mill shed .
The hemlock saws a lot better than the old spruce logs I had .
Any hints on sawing framing lumber ?
Thanks  Jim
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

thecfarm

If using hemlock for framing,I would not let it dry in a stack, Use it on the greenside. I had some that was on the dry side. I had to toe nail it into the frame. Some split when I tried to toe nail it. Green works much better. Less spliters too.
This is one thing I made from almost all hemlock.

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

shinnlinger

Do not split the pith.  I used to build almost exclusively with hemlock from cote and reney before they went out and I bought a mill.  Other than splinters and the smell I liked using it for framing both timbers and studs, but as said, sticker stack and work green. 
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Chuck White

I saw quite a bit of Hemlock!

It's a lot friendlier than Spruce, but you might still have to slow up a little for knots now and then!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Bruno of NH

I have been a builder for 30 years and built lots with hemlock .My home is framed with hemlock from the old Cote and Reney. It was sized on planer and dryed was a dream to frame with saved alot of money .
I got the hemlock logs from the new owner of Cotes old mill its a new mill that saw all hardwood for flooring mills , furniture mills, and export to asia .

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Thank You Sponsors!