iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The worst day I've had YET !

Started by POSTON WIDEHEAD, May 28, 2014, 06:54:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I was telling WDH down in Georgia about a 7 foot 4 inch long Sycamore log I had I was gonna Quarter Saw.
The diameter was about 38 inches in places and 34 in others. A good size log for a LT40.
I learned quick, if a log weighing that much and it NOT being 8 foot.....the toe rollers are useless......and I really needed to use them because of tapper. The worst is yet to come.  ::)

I'm sawing on this thing for 2 hours plus turning and positioning which takes time but.......somethings not coming out right.  say_what

Long story short.....the head on my mill (again) is starting to drop through the cut......as much as 2 inches sometimes. I didn't recognize it until later in the morning. I was try everything I know to get a perfect octagon but the numbers weren't matching on each end. When I finally figured out the head was dropping.....it was time.

I finally have to take the log off......

So off with the log! And when it came off....it missed one of the lifting arms and here she came off sideways.  :D

Now I call Woodmizer.......this is the 3rd time I have experienced the head dropping and this time was the worst.
The problem is....they told me was the gear oil in the gear box had been revised. I needed to drain all the oil out and replace it with a 80W140 synthetic oil to stop the creeping down motion.

So I ask them....what's the best way to do that?  say_what

He said ...oh a lot of people just take the gear box out, take it over to the work bench and let the oil drain out.  electricuted-smiley electricuted-smiley electricuted-smiley Not what I wanted to hear!
Well.......not me  poston-smiley.......I find the fill plug and the drain plug and remove them but not before I had to remove the brake to get my allen wrench into the fill plug.

I have a suction tank with a hose on it. I stick the hose in the drain hole and start pumping.

The pumps sucks out every bit of it.

By now I have already gone and bought the new oil and bought a small clear hose to fill the gear box back up. Actually the stores didn't 80w so I had to get 75w.

I get it full up to the plug....insert fill plug.....wipe everything down.......and fire it up.

She seems to work.....ran the head up and down the rail with the blade running changing the cutting height every time for about 10 minutes......I mean the day was shot, why not pretend I'm sawing.  :D Now its stopping right on the money and not dropping anymore. I'll still keep my eye on it....you can bet on that!  :)

Back to the log.....not enough left to salvage wide boards....so I'm going home to take a nap.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

SPD748

Pardon my ignorance...

How does the weight of oil keep a gear box from 'creeping'?

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

customsawyer

That is not going to be your worst day but it is bad all the same.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

clww

"Your last easy day was yesterday", we used to say. ;D
Hope tomorrow is a better one for you.
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: SPD748 on May 28, 2014, 07:14:22 PM
Pardon my ignorance...

How does the weight of oil keep a gear box from 'creeping'?

-lee

Lee....I'm not that deeply itchacated but the weight has something to do with the slippage of the gears. The synthetic has something to do with not damaging the seals. Thats what they told me.  ::)

SPD748

Interesting...

I hope all works out for you my friend. Remember that I'm 30 minutes away if you ever need help!

-lee
Frick 0 Handset - A continuing project dedicated to my Dad.

410 Deere, 240 Massey... I really need a rough terrain forklift :)

Sawing Since 1-19-2013 @ 3:30 pm
Serving Since 2002
"Some police officers give tickets, some gave all."

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: SPD748 on May 28, 2014, 07:49:43 PM
Interesting...

I hope all works out for you my friend. Remember that I'm 30 minutes away if you ever need help!

-lee

smiley_thumbsup

hackberry jake

Ya reckon it's a worm drive gear box or just bevel gears?
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

barbender

This is a problem I'm happy I haven't had yet. Sorry for the bad day, Poston :( BTW, I really appreciate you taking time to take photos in the middle of a frustrating repair. But if I could ask one favor, could you try to keep your arms out of the photos, they be UGLEE!! ;D
Too many irons in the fire

Ocklawahaboy

Sorry to hear about your bad day.  Glad to know I'm not the only one who caught the sycamore bug last Saturday.  I just haven't found a log yet.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: barbender on May 28, 2014, 08:19:53 PM
Poston :( BTW, I really appreciate you taking time to take photos in the middle of a frustrating repair. But if I could ask one favor, could you try to keep your arms out of the photos, they be UGLEE!! ;D

Its hard to work, take pics AND look pretty when you're having a bad day.  ;D

WmFritz

Those vacuum pumps are handy.

If that lube has to be changed very often, I've got a pump that screws on the lube bottle and you can pump the fluid in, instead of trying to squeeze it in or gravity feed. A lot less messy.
It's actually made for filling marine outdrives. I think I paid 7 or 8 bucks for it.

At least the day wasn't a total loss if you got a nap in.  ;D ;D
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WmFritz on May 28, 2014, 08:39:06 PM

If that lube has to be changed very often, I've got a pump that screws on the lube bottle and you can pump the fluid in, instead of trying to squeeze it in or gravity feed. A lot less messy.
It's actually made for filling marine outdrives. I think I paid 7 or 8 bucks for it.

Where do you get them Bill......a boat place?

WmFritz

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on May 28, 2014, 08:45:31 PM
Quote from: WmFritz on May 28, 2014, 08:39:06 PM

Where do you get them Bill......a boat place?

I got mine at West Marine...

This one is similar
http://www.walmart.com/msharbor/ip/Attwood-Gear-Lube-Pump/16351021

~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

WDH

Sometimes sycamore will just not behave  :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

JohnM

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on May 28, 2014, 08:37:51 PM
Its hard to work, take pics AND look pretty when you're having a bad day.  ;D
Poston...you ever had a good day? ??? smiley_curtain_peek  smiley_horserider
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

hackberry jake

I think poston got too used to watching that 70 eat and thought he could make his eat like that.  food2
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: hackberry jake on May 29, 2014, 01:31:23 AM
I think poston got too used to watching that 70 eat and thought he could make his eat like that.  food2
But with the nap in there he missed seeing the big logs milled and woke up in time to catch the small log demo and the Wild Bill log rolling contest :D
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

dgdrls

New Day.  Swing for the fences! ;)

Best DGDrls

scsmith42

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on May 28, 2014, 06:54:21 PM
and I really needed to use them because of tapper.

I've never seen a log with "tapper"...., but I sawed one the other day that had lots of taper!   :D  :D

Lemme guess... you were thinking about tapping a keg???
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

barbender

The boards out of that "tappered" log will have to be ran through a "planner" ;D
Too many irons in the fire

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: scsmith42 on May 29, 2014, 07:26:26 AM
Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on May 28, 2014, 06:54:21 PM
and I really needed to use them because of tapper.

I've never seen a log with "tapper"...., but I sawed one the other day that had lots of taper!   :D  :D

Lemme guess... you were thinking about tapping a keg???

.......u no eye can't spale.  :D

julio

David just tell them to kiss your gritts  ,they know you are from S.C.
If you put your finger in your ear and scratch, it sounds like PacMan.

YellowHammer

Remember the old saying that a bad day sawing (or fishing) beats a good day at work.
Unless of course sawing is work, then a bad day is just a bad day.

Quote from: WDH on May 28, 2014, 09:26:03 PM
Sometimes sycamore will just not behave  :)
I agree with WDH...I blame the log.. ;D. Imagine what would have happened if it had been sweet gum!
YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Thank You Sponsors!