iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Inground pool that wants to be no more

Started by isawlogs, May 27, 2014, 06:17:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

isawlogs

Sad day today, an inground pool my father inlaw had put in is no longer of any use. Frost and rain and us wanting to clean her out made for her last stand. Having taken the water out, no weight was in it to keep it down... You might want to think that all that concret would be heavy enough to keep it down, nope.. its just like a boat, it floats.

A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

r.man

Did it break up as well? If not could you not just landscape around it?
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

isawlogs

Concrete is not even cracked, the issue will be with the drains and outlet.... :-\  it is about 16 inches off level... Having the spring board lifted by pool is not too good also!
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Den Socling

I'm amazed and I think you better put the water back in!  :D

Ljohnsaw

Yep, never empty a pool when the ground is wet!  Hard to tell from the pictures but I'd guess the size to be 15,000 - 20,000 gallons since it has a diving board.  So that is about 110,000-150,000 pounds of "floatation".  You'd be lucky to have 20,000 pounds of concrete there!  And I would assume the deep end popped up the most since that is where the water started to gather in the hole around the concrete.

Did it creep up or just pop up?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

shinnlinger

Funny Poston.   Believe it or not, they make concrete sailboats.  Sorry about your pool, but perhaps weighing it down again would allow you to reconnect the drain. 
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Den Socling

Is it going to become in-ground again when the water table drops?  ;D

isawlogs

It has been moving for a long time, but this time its just too much to deal with. I have lowered the basket once and the bottom drains where stretched to the point where one was not working from the movements...

Den
Even if we where to put water in it, it would not go back down to where it would be needed to be to be of any use. A high hoe is coming in and it will be taken out, filled and grass will grow where it is.

Marcel

Den Socling

My dad in Phoenix doesn't have water table problems.  :D But he's in about the same boat. He's got about 5 layers of pool cover on it. It hasn't been used for 20 years! A good place for cactus.

isawlogs

We can't burry them here, it has to come out .... So be it. A bandmington court is alot less labour intensive to keep lookin' good.  ;)

Marcel

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Je serais ravie d'avoir cette piscine chez moi.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

thecfarm

POSTON,$300 it's yours. Shipping not included.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

isawlogs

Quote from: POSTONLT40HD on May 27, 2014, 08:00:49 PM
Je serais ravie d'avoir cette piscine chez moi.
Second time to try ans get this to post ???

Send the truck, will load and supply pictural reassembly procedures  ;D

Marcel

Hilltop366

Is it just me that chuckles every tine I hear someone say piscine (french for pool).

WmFritz

Quote from: isawlogs on May 27, 2014, 07:55:45 PM
We can't burry them here, it has to come out .... So be it. A bandmington court is alot less labour intensive to keep lookin' good.  ;)

What about planting thecfarm rocks in there and calling it a rock garden?  ???
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

thecfarm

What size? When can I expect the truck?  :D
I hauled a few off today. Still have a few more.  ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dgdrls

Quote from: isawlogs on May 27, 2014, 07:55:45 PM

Sorry for the pool.
Please be sure to honour the correct Mr. Purcell during the commissioning ceremony   ;)

Best
DGDrls

JohnM

It made that diving board a diving ramp. ;D  That's a bummer for sure, assume it was fun while it lasted at least. :)
Lucas 830 w/ slabber; Kubota L3710; Wallenstein logging winch; Split-fire splitter; Stihl 036; Jonsered 2150

yukon cornelius

what a sad ending to the concrete pond :(
It seems I am a coarse thread bolt in a world of fine threaded nuts!

Making a living with a manual mill can be done!

reride82

In college we made concrete canoes for the American Society of Civil Engineers. So, concrete can be made to float very easily  ;)
'Do it once, do it right'

'First we shape our buildings, then our buildings shape us'
Living life on the Continental Divide in Montana

OneWithWood

Marcel,
I am surprised you did not look at it and immediately think - This could become a hockey rink!
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Chuck White

Pull it out of the ground, turn it upside down, cut a doorway in the end wall at the deep end, cover it over with dirt and you'd have the makings of a good root cellar!  ;)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!