iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

subfloor under 1" thick pine?

Started by dablack, May 27, 2014, 04:27:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dablack

So we have the floor trusses installed on 16" OC.  The floor trusses are made out of 2x4s, so really the gap between the floor trusses is only 12.5"

We don't have enough white oak cut to cover the floor so I'm thinking about using the pine that we cut for the subfloor and use it as the actual floor.  The pine is random width and 2 little marks over 1" in thickness (that is 1 & 1/16....... if you aren't up on your milling forum humor)

I was thinking that with such thick boards (face nailed and no tongue/groove), I might not need a subfloor at all.  I'm on a tight build budget and $800 in plywood HURTS!  Then again, I don't want to put it down and it be junk either. 

Thoughts?

thanks
Austin
Building my own house in East TX

jamesamd

You need somthing to tie all the joists 2 ways.Glued and screwed 3/8" ply
at a minum.DanG usefull as a fire block as well ;)

Jim
All that is gold does not glitter,not all those that wander are lost.....

beenthere

Lay it down at a 45 deg, as they used to do in the "old" days.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: beenthere on May 27, 2014, 08:58:17 PM
Lay it down at a 45 deg, as they used to do in the "old" days.
+1 smiley_thumbsup

I'm doing 2x for my floor and the engineer had me lay it on a 45° angle to give the needed strength.  I'm on 24" centers.  Also, it runs out from the center of the building in all four directions.  I was planning on doing T&G just to keep it more ridged.  I managed to have the entire building approved without any plywood! 8)  Lots of Simpson ties, but all will be hidden.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

dablack

Thanks guys.  Due to budget I'm going to have to put the pine down as subfloor and see how it looks.  I will use it as the "finished" floor until we get more oak. I think I will hit it with a sander to smooth it some and slap some oil on it!  Maybe some poly on top.  I think it will be fine until we get more oak. 

Austin
Building my own house in East TX

mrector

Any updates?

I am building a 20 x 24' cabin and my plans are to sub floor with 1" white pine,  then tar paper layer and then 3/4" white pine as flooring set on 45*.  Rough sawn, sand later with industrial sander and poly.
Mikey
Woodmizer LT35HD25 brand new!
Stihl 044 and my favorite: ms260 pro
Homemade logging arch
Homemade hitch log picker-upper
DanG Deadheader log loading trailer.

Thank You Sponsors!