Started by EagleEye2112, May 27, 2014, 09:10:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jargo432

Man, can you feel the love here or what?  :D
Jack of all trades.

H 2 H

Quote from: jargo432 on May 28, 2014, 08:27:18 PM
Wow, all those comments and not one mention of the Echo CS-590.  :o

I could post some quotes on what he has said on other forums ?
Brian

Old BROWN eyes strikes again !

"Saw troll speaks with authority about saws has never even touched. Well maybe he touches the pictures in the brochures before he rips on them"

".... guess you need to do more than read specs, and look at pictures !"

Mooseherder

Leave all that animosity over there.  Where ever that is.
If there isn't anything constructive to say, stay out of the discussion.
Personal attacks won't be tolerated.  Consider this a warning.
Thanks.  Carry on.

missedbass

like my 271, no problems starting, cuts great, good on fuel and does what it needs to do. I keep the bar clean and the chain sharp. I could spend more just to say I have a pro saw but since this does everything I need it to do I'm happy
Stihl ms271
Fiskars x27

7sleeper

@eagleeye,

do yourself a favor and listen to people like below.
Quote from: missedbass on May 29, 2014, 06:27:45 PM
like my 271, no problems starting, cuts great, good on fuel and does what it needs to do. I keep the bar clean and the chain sharp. I could spend more just to say I have a pro saw but since this does everything I need it to do I'm happy

Sawtroll and others love recomending pro tools for amateur needs. There are so many variables to include that it is a rather over simplistic discussion. f.e. a pro with the farmer saw is always going to be faster than any amateur with a pro saw, simply because he has training, experience and knowledge with what he is doing. The chain is sharp, the carb set correct, etc. etc. For the money saved over a pro saw it is smarter to invest in ppe, quality Stihl or Oregon VPX chains, premix fuel (so that storing the chainsaw over a longer time period is no problem), etc.

jargo432

Today's saws are so good it's hard to go wrong.  I spent my youth cutting with a homelite XL.  Not a bad saw, but it doesn't compare with with what's out there today.

Just wondering,  Does the school your going to have a class on using chainsaws?  If so I'd love to hear about it.

Best of luck.
Jack of all trades.

SawTroll

Quote from: 7sleeper on May 30, 2014, 01:24:38 AM

Sawtroll and others love recomending pro tools for amateur needs.

Actually, I fully accept that there are a need for cheaper tools (saws in this case) - what I react negatively to is when people comment on those cheap tools as if they are equal to much better tools - which they simply aren't.

Also, there is nothing wrong with using nicer tools than you stricktly need - it makes the use a lot more enjoyable!
Information collector.

beenthere

QuoteI spent my youth cutting with a homelite XL.

And I with a Homelite Super EZ.. until about '70, then Homelite XL 12.

Now this MS271 looks to be light years ahead, but in those days gone by, the Homelite's were great saws. IMO
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

missedbass

Quote from: SawTroll on May 30, 2014, 10:39:33 AM
Quote from: 7sleeper on May 30, 2014, 01:24:38 AM

Sawtroll and others love recomending pro tools for amateur needs.

Actually, I fully accept that there are a need for cheaper tools (saws in this case) - what I react negatively to is when people comment on those cheap tools as if they are equal to much better tools - which they simply aren't.

Also, there is nothing wrong with using nicer tools than you stricktly need - it makes the use a lot more enjoyable!
agreed. Reminds me of the time I went fishing on the beach. Driving to the spot with my old Jeep(farm), I came upon two guys in a $60K Mercedes suv(pro) buried up to its chassis in the sand. I fished that day, while they played in the sand. :laugh:
Stihl ms271
Fiskars x27

jargo432

The older I get the more of a tool snob I become.  When I was young and broke most of the time, trying to raise a family on small wages, I was happy to have the cheapest tool needed to get the job done.  As I've become older I've moved up to better paying jobs, thus able to buy better tools. 

Each person is in a different place in their life.  I can fully understand buying the cheapest tool possible when you've got a stack of bills, very little money and yet you HAVE to get something fixed or done. 

God Bless the guy that buys the cheap tools because he has to.  :)
Jack of all trades.

7sleeper

What I believe is really getting out of hand is the reality of what saw manufacturers are really producing. There is a trend obviously here in these and other forums to over simplify the products discused. Extremely often prejudice is all to obvious. And yes the classic sentence is top of the line, all else is insufficient.
There is a reason for manufacturers to produce and declare certain products for certain peoples needs. The simple classification of homeowner, farmer and pro class has it's reason of existence. And yes not everyone needs top of the line and this I believe is all to often neglected. But it will be impossible to change anything through my words, because that would mean changing people and as we all know people don't want to change...

Andyshine77

Quote from: ladylake on May 28, 2014, 07:15:24 AM
Quote from: SawTroll on May 28, 2014, 05:50:18 AM
The Husky 545 is a pro quality saw with a magnesium case and much less weight than the 271. It is basically the same saw as the 550xp, but slightly "detuned" to hit a lower price point.

The Husky counterpart to the MS271 is the 450, and even that one is a good bit lighter.

How did they detune it, I'd guess open port vs closed port as the open port would be cheaper to make.  Also have to agree Stihl is making their saws (except the pro saws) cheaper every year using their name to sell them.   Steve

Smaller transfer covers, and likely less advanced port timing numbers. I know some of the older models like the 353, 359 all used lower quality top ends as well. This however did not effected overall quality or durability. 
Andre.

Bricklayer51

Been cutting firewood since I was 16 always had used saws. Went down to Lincoln Mi bought a new ms271 for 400 bucks. I only sell a little firewood now should last a long time.

missedbass

Enjoy your new saw, I think you will be pleased
Stihl ms271
Fiskars x27

samandothers

Never did hear what OP purchased.  Maybe a bit afraid too after so much discussion.  I am sure it was the right one for their situation.

Bricklayer51

Took my new 271 to the woods yesterday, ran two tanks of fuel. We were cutting standing dead red and white oak. I am very happy with the saw. My first real workout since I had surgery. Feeling a lot sore spots this morning.

Thank You Sponsors!