iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl MS 271

Started by EagleEye2112, May 27, 2014, 09:10:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EagleEye2112

Hello everyone,

Hope you are all doing well, I just wanted to get some opinions on the Stihl MS 271 (I'm assuming it would be a better choice then the MS 250/251?).

Thanks!

Brian

7sleeper

Definately a good saw from Stihl! Will do everything you can ask of a 50cc saw. Won't be the fastest or lightest but also not the slowest or heaviest. Good quality that will last a home owner a life time with proper maintenance! Excellent choice for any firewooder who needs a saw.

What do you need it for? That would help us evaluate if it fits your needs or not better.

EagleEye2112

Hi 7sleeper , thanks for the reply!

I would be using it for firewood and cleaning up trees that have fallen around the property (4.5 acres), maybe some felling occasionally. The way you describe the MS 271 sounds perfect, not too big, not too small, something right in the middle. Exactly what I want.

I'm a forestry student at Fleming College in Lindsay, Ontario and wanted to get my hands on a saw to get familiar with general usage.

SawTroll

Just another "homeowner" saw with a plastic case, and too much weigth for its power.

It is not made to the same standards as the 270, that it replaces.
Information collector.

7sleeper

@eagleeye,

I disagree with sawtroll, I see it as a defitiv upgrade to the old 270.

As an alternativ though, I would recomend the Husqarna 545 highly to you. It already has the new autotune feature and it is a little bit better in the weight and handling department. Especially if you are a forestry student, I believe very good equipement is mandatory. Pricewise it should be in the same class as the 271.

Further quality companies exist where their 50cc saw will always make you happy. Echo=Shindaiwa, Efco=Oleo Mac, Dolmar=Makita, Hitachi=Tanaka, Husqvarna=Jonsered=Zenoah=Red Max(=Mc Culloch=Partner the hobby line), Solo and Stihl.

Usually the top two players (Stihl & Husqvarna) command a premium for their products. It is often dramatically cheaper to go with the lesser brands. Of course you will be exposing yourself to the snobby factor. There are areas if you don't have a Stihl, Husqvarna, whatever you sure are a poor poor guy in many ways!!! totally irrespective of how good your saw really is! 

50cc is the middle class of saws! And it will definately do what you ask of it. Many recomend one or two sizes up (60 or 70cc) but don't worry. You will get your work done in a timely manner and your saw can do it irrespective of what others try to surrogate.

The best basic buy out there that I am aware of would be the Mc Culloch 5020(~200$). But If you have the money go get something a little better. Another excelent buy would be the Red Max 5300 = Husqvarna 353, it is the predessesor of the 545 and just as good.

And don't forget PPE!!!!!!! = personal protection equipment = chaps, helmet, eye & ear protection, minimum steel toed boots, etc. That is what will save your face, your legs etc from a razor sharp chain running with ~ 69 feet per second!!! Get a cheaper saw if you can't or don't want to afford ppe!

Good luck!

EagleEye2112

Thanks for the recommendation 7sleeper, I think I will opt for the 545. Considering that it is in the pro class and the weight difference, plus the fact that it has a magnesium crankcase would make it a bit better. Seems like a bit more saw for the same price.

EagleEye2112

Unfortunately the 545 seems to only be available in the USA.

Disregard.

EagleEye2112

So the Husky 545 with an 18" bar, where I am, is $600. Do I go with that or the Stihl equal (price wise) which is the MS 391 (right now at $600)? I'm thinking the 545 because it's considered a pro saw and I don't really need the extra power.

7sleeper

Quote from: EagleEye2112 on May 27, 2014, 12:07:15 PM
So the Husky 545 with an 18" bar, where I am, is $600. Do I go with that or the Stihl equal (price wise) which is the MS 391 (right now at $600)? I'm thinking the 545 because it's considered a pro saw and I don't really need the extra power.
:o wow a lot of change! How much is the 271? How much would a dolmar 5105(pro saw! magnesium construction) cost? Same league as the 550xp & 261 but usually much cheaper!

EagleEye2112

The MS 271 is $450 ($50 off right now). This is what the Stihl prices look like here:

http://www.stihldealers.ca/Search.aspx/Nobleton/Ontario/ON/L0G+1N0/Green+Tractors+Nobleton/chainsaws.html?Lang=en

Dolmar 5105 = $660...

7sleeper

To be honest I believe the Husqvarna to be better, but definately not 150$ better! For that money you can buy a bunch of spare stihl chain and other stuff.

How much would a Dolmar 421 be? Because that is the smallest pro type built saw I recomend for someone like you. Only 42cc but behaves like 50!

EagleEye2112

7sleeper

How much money do you want to spend? Do you have enough left over for PPE? That is mandatory for me. 150-200$ is more than enough for PPE.

For me it would boil down to a draw between the 421 and 271. If you have trees mainly in the 25 inches and over it would be the 271, if below the 421.

Further many like having more than one saw. Typically recomended is the 50&70 cc combo. I see the 40&60cc combo as completly sufficient for the homeowner.

Personally I would start out with a 40cc saw and upgrade later to a 60cc. Like the Dolmar 421 & 6100 combo are one of the best for the homeowner.

Desicions can only be made by whom it concerns. Good luck!  ;D

7sleeper

I might add that I sold my dolmar 50cc pro saw because my 420(old model with only 2.7hp) model does 90% of the work. Of course I have a 60cc saw for larger stuff.

EagleEye2112

Thank you very much for your opinions and insight 7sleeper, much appreciated. I will update when I have made my purchase.

I do very much consider PPE a must and will be getting some.

Take care!

7sleeper

flyfish57

IMHO, one other thing to consider is parts and service advailibility. The Husqvarna, Shendawa, Stihl and others have some good or great  saws.  But, the thing that sold me was the parts and service for that saw in my area.  Unfortunately, there isn't that much in a big city on most of those brands.  Stihl, on the other hand has about 8 stores within about 10 miles of where I live or where my property is and about 20 within 30 miles.  That's why I chose Stihl.  Not necessarly because it was better.  I guess it's like tractors it's whatever they have in your area.   Some, it's John Deere, some it's Ford/New Holland and some it's Case.  But, as always there will be those so loyal that nothing else will work.  Even though they might not be able to get parts as readily.  I didn't see where you lived. But, here a new MS 271 is $399.99 with up to a 20" bar.

James

SawTroll

The Husky 545 is a pro quality saw with a magnesium case and much less weight than the 271. It is basically the same saw as the 550xp, but slightly "detuned" to hit a lower price point.

The Husky counterpart to the MS271 is the 450, and even that one is a good bit lighter.

Information collector.

SawTroll

Quote from: 7sleeper on May 27, 2014, 11:02:01 AM
@eagleeye, I disagree with sawtroll, I see it as a defitiv upgrade to the old 270.

You need to take a close look at how those saws are built!  ;)
Information collector.

ladylake

Quote from: SawTroll on May 28, 2014, 05:50:18 AM
The Husky 545 is a pro quality saw with a magnesium case and much less weight than the 271. It is basically the same saw as the 550xp, but slightly "detuned" to hit a lower price point.

The Husky counterpart to the MS271 is the 450, and even that one is a good bit lighter.

How did they detune it, I'd guess open port vs closed port as the open port would be cheaper to make.  Also have to agree Stihl is making their saws (except the pro saws) cheaper every year using their name to sell them.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

SawTroll

Quote from: ladylake on May 28, 2014, 07:15:24 AM
Quote from: SawTroll on May 28, 2014, 05:50:18 AM

How did they detune it, I'd guess open port vs closed port as the open port would be cheaper to make.  .....   Steve

As far as I know it is by narrower transfers (transfer covers really) and different programming. They are not open port.
Information collector.

jargo432

Wow, all those comments and not one mention of the Echo CS-590.  :o
Jack of all trades.

beenthere

Quote from: jargo432 on May 28, 2014, 08:27:18 PM

Check out the OP.  Might be why.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

gspren

Since you are a forestry student you will probably be using chainsaws for many years to come. If there is any way you can afford it get a PRO saw and treat it right and you will get your moneys worth out of it plus enjoy the cutting much more.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

SawTroll

Quote from: jargo432 on May 28, 2014, 08:27:18 PM

Let's keep it that way!  ;D
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!