iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Brunswick Prices.

Started by lmo506, May 25, 2014, 05:53:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lmo506

Hi Folks,
Hoping that some people from NB will chime in here. I'm thinking about buying a 7.5 ton hoe with a arbro 400 and a vertical shaft brush cutter. I have a 240 acre woodlot with 80 acres of working sugar bush. My idea is to log off most of the old stand softwood that needs to be harvested , thin out approx 50 acres of overgrown Christmas tress for studwood and give my sugar bush a good thinning. I have interest from several other people for basically the same thing. I know there are a lot of factors for pricing but i'm wondering what some ballpark prices to charge for different operations.

Thinning a sugarbush would be the slowest operation so i'm thinking I would have to charge by the hour but If was just cutting brush and undergrowth . But if I was actually harvesting the non-maple species , what and how  would some of you guys charge?

Now If I was to do PCT or just harvesting what would be a price for that?
I have never pretended to be anything I'm not, except sober, I've pretended to be sober a few times

Jamie_C

Can't help you much on prices but if I remember the Arbro 400 correctly it will be woefully undersized for any wood that is even remotely close to being mature. The mini excavator it's attached to likely won't safely handle wrestling with trees much over 8" in diameter. Make sure any equipment you purchase can safely handle what you need it to do.

Ken

With respect to pricing you need to find out how much work can get done and at what price with the equipment at hand.  Locally there have been some small scale producers who have used stroke processors on small carriers but it has been several years since I've seen one.  They are very slow but as long as you are not looking for production it could work in small diameter wood.

With respect to pct work there should be funding assistance available through your local marketing board.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

SwampDonkey

Talk to your local board like Ken suggested. Some of their staff may have been around when the Feds had other silviculture treatments and rates. Any PCT that qualifies will be best handled through your board to cover the landowner's costs. Ball park on private land PCT is around $650/ha. Semi-commercial thinning and commercial thinning probably not much better rate because some wood can be sold, maybe $700/ha. My feeling, and that's just me, is wood money from semi-commercial thinning should go to the working man as long as it meets guidelines set my government and boards and not a guy picking the cream. There is still a lot of not merch. wood left on site. On commercial thinnings I want some stumpage, from a  woodlot owner's perspective.

INFOR in Fredericton (Regent Street-Flemming Building) probably has sugar bush information and maybe some ball park figures on costs. They are DNR's extension service, although on a low budget.

Thinning in immature stands of wood is way behind in this province. I see acres of it every day, some too far gone to be much good unless it's shade tolerant hardwood.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!