iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Trip to Alaska Starts

Started by Qweaver, May 24, 2014, 11:50:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

We waited until the mail lady delivered our "The Next Exit" before leaving Weston on Friday to have a few warranty items resolved by the PKG camper folks.  They resolved every problem and we hit the road for Hot Springs Village in AR. We got to the Ky/Tn. boarder and slept at the absolutely beautiful Tn. Welcome Center.  We got to the Village about 3:00 pm today and spent the rest of the day with great friends catching up, cooking and just plain having a good time.  We will spend a few days here and hopefully sail a lot if the winds co-operate.   We love "the Next Exit" BTW.  How did we get along without it?

BTW, how can diesel be $4.29 in Weston, WV and $3.55 in AR?  We were getting between 16 and 17  MPG traveling at 60 mph.  That will be our target speed for this trip.
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

Qweaver

We had a great sail on Lake Ouachita and then spent 3 days making the drive to Addy, Wa.  Drove thru The Bad Lands park and to Mount Rushmore on the way and looked upon the wonderful landscapes of South Dakota, Montana and Idaho.  Wow!  And the trip has just begun. The ride down the mountain as you enter Idaho will get the juices running.  I set the cruise control on 55 and never had to hit the brakes.

Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

thecfarm

Trip is starting out good!!
By the way,anyway to post pictures as you go,like a dairy?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

QuoteThe ride down the mountain as you enter Iowa will get the juices running

I'm thinking Qweaver means Idaho.  ??

Sounds good so far, and wonder how everything is riding.

Have a son, flew to Fairbanks last evening from MPS, then a train today to Talkeetna for 3 days, then to Healy, AK for 3 days, then to Anchorage, boards a cruise ship through the inside passage, and to Vancouver for a week. About 3 week trip.
So look forward to Qweaver's trip and hopefully photo's too.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sandhills

Qweaver, you gotta try those trips down the mountain in a '55 chevy with my uncle throwin' the old three on the tree into neutral!  Scared the ever living billy heck out of me but he was grinning ear to ear, kept saying this is the only time you'll see her doing 75  :D.  Enjoy your trip!

Qweaver

I'm happy to post pics but most everyone has seen pics of The Bad Lands and Mount Rushmore and other common tourist spots...usually taken by much better photogs than me.  To be there in person is a whole different thing tho'.
Quinton

mometal77

I was in Addy,wa last oct looking at land but looking at idaho or north of flathead lake. When you get going soak.net is a great site for hotsprings. Be safe.
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

Qweaver

We catch the ferry in Bellingham on Sat the 7th.  We plan to leave Addy and take the scenic Rt 20 but since we have time to spare we would like to visit any particularly interesting spots along the way.  Any suggestions?  This should be a great drive! My Silverado is a real mountain goat and just gobbles up the mountains both up and down. 

Magicman

The North side of the Columbia River Gorge and the Olympic Loop in the NW corner of Washington.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

SawyerBrown

Well, I can testify that Alaska is beautiful right now. We're going into Denali this afternoon, and they've been seeing lots if wildlife. Rain expected but so far holding off

This morning really went to the dogs ... literally. We visited Husky Homestead where they breed and raise Alaskan Huskies, and met Jeff King, multi- Iditarod winner. Great tour if you get the chance, and the puppies are adorable!

Fairbanks on Tuesday.
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Qweaver

No internet on the Alaskan Ferry but I will post this when we get to Homer.  After 6 days, 6 stops and lots of beautiful landscapes we are anxious to get moving on shore.  The few hours that we have at each stop does not give us enough time to do any real sight-seeing.  Mainly just grab a meal and do some shopping.   The Bloody Marys at the Red Dog Saloon in Juneau  were the treat of the day.   
The three mile walking return to the ferry 2 minutes before departure time at the first stop added a little stress to the trip and a "we'll never do that again" was agreed to!
Landed in Homer Today and spent the night on the Spit. Traveling to Soldotna tomorrow.

Qweaver

Spent Saturday at a friends beautiful home on the Kenai River.  The river runs at 11 MPH at about 40 deg.  Not a good place for a swim.  Church with Sarah this AM and planning for the next destination this afternoon.  We went to the stock car races last evening and cards with the friends til 1:am.  Stopped at  Norman Lowell's art gallery yesterday.  Talked with Norman at length and enjoyed his great art.  Don't miss it if you are in the area.

SawyerBrown

Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

hardtailjohn

When in Homer, take a plane ride with Bill Decreeft (spelling?). He flies scenic flights in a 1929 Travelair 6000. Something you wont forget!! Awesome guy too! (If he's still in business...)

John
I'm so far behind, I think I'm ahead!

scsmith42

Great thread - thanks for posting the updates!
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Raider Bill

A friend of mine leaves friday on a motorcycle trip to alaska. He found this site of cameras throughout the state.

http://avcams.faa.gov/m/acpomap.php?x=64.83777&y=-147.71639&z=6
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

DeerMeadowFarm

We did a two week cruise in 2011. My wife's company gives their employees a certain amount of money to be used on a vacation on their 25th anniversary. We went through Holland/America and our daughter rode for free! Total cost for us was our airfare from Mass to Washington and any souvenirs we bought. Trip of a lifetime! I would love to do what you are doing though and drive it. Maybe when/if I ever retire...?

Qweaver

We camped in a free spot on the way to Exit Glacier just out of Seward last night and will return there tonight.  We did the 8 hour boat trip today.  Saw lots of whales and glaciers,( Holgate,Bear & Aialik) pretty calm seas plus salmon and prime rib for lunch.  Major Marine Tours was the vendor and it was very well done.  The view from the water was awesome.  Sea Life Center tomorrow  and then back on the road unless we find something else to do here in Seward.  Maybe hike up to the glacier.  It's a 2 mile hike and I think I'm up to that.  Beauty all around.  These glacier fed streams just rip.  Best not to fall in.  Lots of fishermen along the Seward Highway on the way here.

Qweaver

We just arrived in Fairbanks and will spend a few days here.  We did the flight to Mount McKinley and the bus ride in to Denali.  Both were great and I'll post more with a few pics later.  This is our first internet and electric for days so we are using this afternoon to catch up with friends, edit pics and make plans for the next few days.
Quinton

Qweaver

A few of my fears  allayed.  Some new ones.  The roads have been generally very good...a few rough ones but no worse than W. Va.  The Parks Hwy between Denali and Fairbanks has several construction areas that are dirt but not too bad.  The mountain roads thru Idaho, Washington and Alaska have a lot of un-guard-railed roads with little berm and sharp drop offs that would be deadly if you strayed off the road.  The road into Denali is just plain scary.  No bear scares but a few close encounters with moose. The view from the plane was awesome.

Qweaver

We are going to leave Fairbanks tomorrow and head south.  We don't really know where to go from here.  We want to visit friends in Powell River just before we get back to the US.  I'll get out the Mile Post I guess.
Suggestions?

Qweaver

We are leaving Tok this morning headed for Chicken.   We'll spend a day or two in chicken and hopefully on to Dawson City, Canada.  The road between Chicken and Dawson gets some bad reviews.  I wish I had some current first hand info.  Anyone?

mometal77

Trip advisor or yelp google places and people usually make forum post on sites on where to visit i found out when i go through a town i look it up.
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

Qweaver

We left Chicken at about 3:00am.  Very light but the sun did not get fully up until about 7:00.  It is about 105 miles but the road was closed at about 35 miles and did not re-open until 7:30.  Canadian customs does not open until 8:am so we just slept parked on the road until 7:30.  Customs made a complete search of our truck and camper.  We will have to repack to get it like we had it.   The road was very rough but plenty wide.  The highest mountain was 12,000 ft.  The road ends at a free ferry to get across the fast flowing Yukon river to Dawson City. 
> We can not use our cell phone in Canada but we have a deal where we can use pay phones for pennies a minute.  Inconvenient but do-able. Most RV parks have WiFi but we really need a phone to book places to stay.  The RV parks often fill up.  That road really lived up to it's reputation.  Rough on the US side not too bad on the Canadian side. 

Thank You Sponsors!