iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drowning

Started by beenthere, May 24, 2014, 01:35:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beenthere

Just read this short article about recognizing a drowning person, as they don't really exhibit signs normally portrayed on TV or in the movies.
They cannot speak or shout "help", nor move to a device thrown to them, or swim to a safe place. Eye opening info.  IMO

http://gcaptain.com/drowning/

Thought it was worthy of passing on.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WmFritz

This is a very good lesson.

I especially liked this advice;

''And parents: children playing in the water make noise. When they get quiet, you get to them and find out why.''
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

Warbird

I was recently reading a blog that a friend had linked to about something called "Secondary Drowning".  Extremely scary and worth a read, as well:

http://www.delightedmomma.com/2014/05/secondary-drowning-my-recent-experience.html

Paul_H

I almost lost my son when he was 3 years old.I had him and his two sisters in a gravel extration pit in alongside the river.The water was warm but muddy and as I tended to his little sister,I turned around and only Tom's eyes and the top of his head were showing as he slipped under. I don't think I could have found him in that murky water if a couple more seconds went by.
Still bothers me when I think about it.
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Ianab

"I was recently reading a blog that a friend had linked to about something called "Secondary Drowning"."

Yes, that's a real danger if someone has breathed in water. You may get them out in time, and they still have enough lung function to breathe normally. But a few hours later the water in their lungs starts causing pneumonia, which is of course a BAD thing.

We have a very good reality TV show (yes I know that's an strange thing these days) called Piha Rescue. It's filmed at an Auckland West coast surf beach. Helmet cams and cameraman in the rescue boats etc. Not scripted at all, and with the beach they are on, they don't have to create drama. Plenty of rescues with person still able to tread water, or being supported by a passing surfer, but some of them are in the "about to go under stage". Those guys get hauled up to the medical room and an ambulance called. Usually at the end they  say they where checked and sent home, or kept overnight. But that's exactly what they are concerned about.

Luckily the folks I've had to rescue from the surf over the years have still been at the coherent and treading water stage, and where just having trouble getting back to shore. Having a board, wetsuit  and flippers makes things a LOT easier in heavy surf  ;)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

blackfoot griz

Years ago I was guiding a fly fishing float trip on the Blackfoot river and we had stopped for a lunch break.  We had a 12 year old kid along and he decided to take a swim to cool off.  He was splashing around in the slack water and slowly drifted to the faster, deeper and colder current.  He hit the fast moving current and immediately tried to swim directly against the current and was quickly loosing the battle.  His mother made a comment about how he was a great swimmer on the junior swim team then yelled at telling him to quit messing around.  I realized this kid was in trouble and took off after him.  He disappeared below the surface.  I caught a deep breath and rode the current downstream.  He had gone about 25 yards downstream and was pinned against a big rock about 8 feet below the surface and was facing directly upstream.

I only had one shot to pluck him off that rock and thank God I got him.

Back on shore, he hacked up a bunch of water, vomited and came around.  He was really scared and cold.
We took him to the hospital where they checked him over and released him.

His parents had no idea of how much trouble he got into quickly. Whenever I have a bad day, I think about this and it always makes me feel better knowing I saved a life.

Thanks for starting this thread.

drobertson

Just out of high school working as a life guard for the summer,  I noticed a youngster making many trips to the high dive, on one trip he jumped off, came up, looked at me with that look, he was one arms reach from the ladder, then down he started to go, I bailed off, put him on the side. his mother was unbelievably upset, saying I over reacted!  whatever, scary stuff, one that surely is never forgotten. 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

timberlinetree

My parents were really wacky and on drugs. One day my mom and some friends and rego( a really bad guy)were hanging around the pool. Still can remember the red deck. Well rego said that the best way to teach a kid to swim is let them learn on there own like a dog. I was just an infant maybe little older and can remember him floating me around like I was super man then letting me go and walking away. I remember panic as I tried to say above water and saw everyone just sitting there doing nothing! That's all I remember but was told that mom started getting nervous and got up to save me but rego held her back saying " he'll get it!" Jimmy luckily showed up and realized what the puck jumped in saved me and got in a fight with rego. Well it affected me quite a bit I guess I didn't take a shower until around teenager. The water coming out of the shower head and me being below would give me a drowning feeling. You should all be proud for saving a life and for posting to raise awareness. Thanks
I've met Vets who have lived but still lost their lives... Thank a Vet

Family man and loving it :)

Thank You Sponsors!